If you want to be sure that you’re comfortable and properly protected on your hunting treks and you want to enjoy yourself to the fullest, then you’re going to want to invest in a good pair of hunting boots.
Like all types of hunting gear, however, there’s an endless array of hunting boots on the market to choose from. With so many choices, how do you narrow down the options and pick the best pair for you? By reading this handy review we put together for you!
After doing extensive research and testing we’ve put together a list of the top eight hunting boots that are currently available on the market. In addition to providing overviews of our top eight picks, we’ve also included a buyer’s guide that highlights the key factors that you should take into consideration when you’re shopping for hunting boots.
Furthermore, we provided answers to some of the most common questions that shoppers have about hunting boots. With the information presented in this review, you should have no trouble finding the best pair of hunting boots for your particular needs.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Hunting Boot Reviews
- 3 Irish Setter Men’s Hunting Boots
- 3.1 Danner Men’s Hunting Boot
- 3.2 Free Soldier Outdoor Men’s Tactical Military Boots
- 3.3 LaCrosse Men’s 4×4 Alpha 16” Waterproof Hunting Snake Boot
- 3.4 Irish Setter Men’s 2870 Vaptrek Waterproof 8” Hunting Boot
- 3.5 Muck Boot Unisex Woody Sport Hunting Boot
- 3.6 Under Armour Men’s Speed Freek Bozeman Hiking Boot
- 3.7 Rocky Men’s Bearclaw 3D Mobu Hunting Boot
- 4 Other Best Selling Options
- 5 Hunting Boots Buyer’s Guide
- 6 Hunting Boots FAQs
- 7 Conclusion
For shoppers who are in a rush and don’t have time to read through our extensive reviews, this section is for you. Below, we highlight our top three picks for the best overall, best premium, and best budget hunting boots.
- Best Pick: Irish Setter
Our pick for the best overall hunting boot is the Irish Setter Hunting Boot. Made of 100 percent premium-quality leather, these boots are waterproof, durable, and comfortable. Featuring revolutionary UltraDry Waterproofing technology, which combines a moisture management lining with waterproof components, no matter how deep the puddles get or how heavy the rain falls, your feet will stay nice and dry.
- Premium Pick: Danner Men’s
If you’re looking for hunting boots that you can rely on to keep your feet protected for years to come and you have a bit more to invest, then the Danner Hunting Boots may be the right pick for you. These hunting boots feature a 100 percent high-quality imported leather outer shell and a Gore-Tex lining.
- Budget Pick: Free Solider Outdoor Men’s Tactical Military Boots
For hunters who don’t want to spend a lot but still want to be sure that their feet are comfortable and protected, the Free Soldier Outdoor Men’s Tactical Military Boots are a great choice. Made of high-quality 1.6-1.8 mm suede leather and scratch-resistant nylon fabric, these hunting boots are warm, yet breathable, and they will keep your feet dry and comfortable all day long.
Hunting Boot Reviews
Irish Setter Men’s Hunting Boots
Our pick for the best overall hunting boots, the Irish Setter Men’s Wingshooter are not only durable, lightweight, and protective, but they’re also super stylish. Made of 100 percent imported waterproof leather and featuring UltraDry Waterproofing technology, these boots are breathable, yet will keep your feet nice and dry in all types of climates.
The removable polyurethane foot bed provides excellent cushioning for added comfort and the moccasin toe and lace-up vamp with speed-lace hardware around the ankle ensure your feet are secured in the boots.
- Adjustable circumference
The white prairie sole provides excellent grip so you can have confidence knowing that you’ll be able to keep your traction on slippery surfaces with ease. The Irish Setter brand has been one of the most trusted names in hunting boots for decades, and their Wingshooter design perfectly exemplifies why the manufacturer is a favorite among hunters.
- Made of premium-quality leather
- Features waterproofing technology that will keep your fee try
- Rubber sole features a stiff steel shank for increased durability and traction on rough surfaces
- Removable polyurethane foot bed provides added support and comfort
- Lace-up vamp with speed-lace hardware around the ankle
- Stylish design
- Comes in a wide range of sizes, including standard, narrow, and wide
- Available in two colors: amber and brown
- Prices vary depending on the size you select
Danner Men’s Hunting Boot
For hunters who want a premium-quality boot and don’t mind spending a little extra, the Danner Boots are a fantastic option. These boots are built to withstand the most rugged environments and can easily take on whatever comes their way.
Whether you’re walking on flat surfaces, slipper slopes, over thick timber, or jagged rocks, you can have confidence knowing that you’ll have the protection, support, and traction that you need.
- To ensure its quality, we put our leather through six different tests before making our selection. Our full-grain leathers are the strongest and most durable form of leather.
- 100% waterproof and breathable, GORE-TEX liners ensure that no water gets in, while allowing sweat and moisture to get out.
- This rubberized EVA midsole maintains the same cushioning properties as traditional EVA, but is more durable and won’t break down as easily. This technology enhances rebound, comfort and support.
The stitchdown construction creates a wide platform for enhanced stability and durability. Bi-fit technology combined the midsole and the shank into a single piece to reduce the weight and increases the comfort and durability of the boots.
Sharpened external lugs provide on the soles provide increased durability and traction. Made of full-grain leather that has been treated with Gore-Tex waterproofing, your feet will stay nice and dry in even the dampest conditions.
The floating tongues lift the liner from the foot and increase air circulation to keep your feet nice and cool. There are even foam panels, which are strategically placed, to provide even more comfort and can be removed if you find that you don’t want them.
- Made of full-grain leather with Gore-Tex waterproofing technology
- Features removable foam panels on the inside for added comfort and support
- Floating tongues increase air circulation
- Bi-fit technology reduces the weight of the boots
- Rugged soles provide exceptional traction on all surfaces
- Provides excellent stability for the ankles
- Some may find the price a bit too high
- A few shoppers said that they take a while to break in
Free Soldier Outdoor Men’s Tactical Military Boots
For hunters who don’t want to spend a ton but still want to have a pair of high-quality boots on their feet, the Free Solider Outdoor Men’s Tactical Military Boots are a fantastic option.
Made of 1.61-1.8 mm high-quality suede leather with scratch-resistant nylon fabric, these boots can handle pretty much anything that comes their way; thorns, thick bush, dense timber, and so much more. The rubber outsole is made of all-terrain rubber and provide exceptional grip, so you won’t slip, and they’re wear-resistant, too.
- Durable Construction: Abrasion-resistant nylon material is the major component for the FREE SOLDIER hiking boots uppers with leather as decoration. The tactical shoes outsole is made of thick and sturdy rubber, and the curved outsole edges strengthen uppers' integration with soles, which help enhance the durability of tactical hiking boots.
- Antiskid and Waterproof: Widely spaced, deep and thick sole patterns bring excellent grip on rugged terrains, adding to the hiking shoes stability and security. The military boots reinforce waterproof performance both in inner and outer layers. The nylon uppers with waterproof coating which will drive water away from the tactical boots for men, and waterproof lining is also embedded to keep your feet dry.
- Comfortable Fit: The removable insole of the military combat boots is breathable and sweat-absorbing, keep your feet dry and comfort all day. Lightweight midsole features shock absorption, superior cushioning and arch support, which help relieve feet fatigue. And the soft smooth padding, wrapping feet firmly and comfortably, provides ample ankle support.
- Upgraded Tongue & Lacing Design: The tactical boots for men tongues' design highlights protectiveness. Tongues' two sides are connected with the combat boots uppers, which will block sands, water or some unexpected objects out effectively. The quick fastening lace system make it convenience for you to take off or put on the outdoor boots easily.
- Applicable for Diverse Uses: The FREE SOLDIER waterproof tactical boots for men are more than functional but stylish. The practical mens boots apply to various outdoor activities, such as hiking, mountaineering, adventuring, climbing, tactical as well as serve as work boots for law enforcement, agricultural labor,etc. Also be a decent valentines day gifts for him.
The EVA midsole provides great cushioning, comfort, and support. Padding around the collar and tongue provide even more comfort and support around the ankle and keep the boots breathable. The anti-collision toe ad shock absorber heel help to keep your feel well-grounded and comfortable in all types of environments.
- Made of high-quality suede leather and scratch-resistant nylon
- Waterproof, breathable, wear-resistant, and comfortable
- EVA insoles provide extra padding for the feet
- Protects the ankles
- Padding around the collar and tongue
- Shock absorption heel and anti-collision toe
- Available in several sizes
- Comes in two colors: camo and black
- Affordably priced
- Some wearers said that they weren’t as waterproof as they expected
LaCrosse Men’s 4×4 Alpha 16” Waterproof Hunting Snake Boot
If you’re going to be hunting in areas where you could come into contact with venomous snakes, then the LaCross Men’s 4×4 Alpha 16” Waterproof Hunting Snake Boot are definitely the boots for you. Why? – Because they’re specifically designed to protect you from venomous snakes, of course.
These boots are made with hand-laid premium natural rubber, which is set over insulating neoprene and covers the entire foot, ankle, and even the shins, so you can have peace of mind knowing that you’re well-protected should you come into contact with any snakes. Two layers of rubber in the toe guard and in the instep offer added durability in these high-flex and stress regions of the foot.
- Flexible Snake Guard material for comfortable protection
- Quad Core technology with four layers of cushion and support underfoot
- Active Fit with adjustable rubber gusset for easy on/off and a secure, comfortable fit on foot
- Multilayer rubber on the toe and heel plus a full shin guard for added durability and protection
- Moisture-wicking and quick-drying polyester jersey liner
The fully vulcanized 4X Burly outsole can take on the most challenging terrains and will ensure that you always have grip. And, since the sole is made of high-grade premium rubber, they won’t get soft and stick when you’re wearing them on hot surfaces.
With angled lugs, you’ll feel light on your feet, as they automatically shed any mud that may get stuck in the bottom. The 90-degre heel and integrated skank also lets you climb up tree stands with ease, too.
- Made of hand-laid premium natural rubber over insulating neoprene
- Protects the entire foot, ankles, and shins from potentially venomous snake bits
- The fully vulcanized 4X Burly outsole feature premium rubber and will keep you steady on all types of terrain
- Contoured and secured fit grips the ankle and locks the heel in place
- A rubber gusset on the back can accommodate calves of all sizes
- Available in a large variety of sizes
- A few users said that they had issues with the fit around the ankle
Irish Setter Men’s 2870 Vaptrek Waterproof 8” Hunting Boot
Another option from Irish Setter, one of the most trusted brands in hunting boots, is their 2870 Vaprtrek Waterproof 8” Hunting Boot. They’re a little bit shorter than the previous Irish Setter hunting boots that are featured on our list, but not by much.
These boots feature revolutionary RPM technology, a composite material that noticeably reduced the weight of the boots and makes them more comfortable, so you can wear them for long periods of time without feeling like your feet are being weighed down. The outsole features lugs on the instep that help bite when you step forward, traction at the arch of the foot for increased grip while you’re climbing tree stands, and heel to provide increased traction on the hell strike.
- UltraDry Waterproofing
- Memory Foam Collar
- RPM Composite Sole
- Polyurethane Footbed
- Scent Ban
These boots are also outfitted with ScentBan technology, an exclusive feature found only in Irish Setter boots, which helps to kill odor-causing bacteria. The UltraDry construction features a moisture management lining and waterproof components so that your feet will stay perfectly dry, even when you’re out in moisture for prolonged periods of time.
Like all Irish Setter boots, the 2879 Vaptrek are as aesthetically pleasing as they are comfortable, durable, and reliable. They’re also available in a variety of colors, including Realtree Xtra Camo, Stone, Realtree Edge Camo, and Realtree Edge 1 Camo. They come in several size options, too.
- RPM technology, a revolutionary composite material that drastically reduces the weight of the boots
- Exceptional comfort and durability
- ScentBan technology kills odor-causing bacteria to prevent foul smells
- UltraDry construction features a moisture management lining and waterproof components to keep your feet dry all day long
- Outsoles offer outstanding grip and traction
- Visually pleasing
- Available in a variety of colors and sizes
- Despite their comfort, some users said that they did not provide the support they thought they would
Muck Boot Unisex Woody Sport Hunting Boot
What really sets the Muck Boot apart is that they’re a unisex design, meaning that they were made with both men and women in mind. The fact that these boots are knee-high combined with the waterproof materials make them a great choice for duck hunters and tree stand hunters alike.
- Field-ready knee-high boot with waterproof camo shaft and reinforced toe
- Breathable airmesh lining
- Cushioned EVA midsole
- Molded Speed-Tracker traction outsole
With a 100 percent waterproof upper and breathable air mesh linings, these boots will keep your feet, ankles and shins nice and dry even when you’re wading in water. The thick, yet lightweight padding provides exceptional comfort and the high-abrasion outsole with exceptional traction will ensure that your step will always be steady.
- The 100 percent waterproof upper keeps you nice and dry even when you’re wading in water
- The high abrasion outsole is exceptionally tough and keeps your feet securely planted on the ground
- Padded interior keeps you comfortable all day long
- Air mesh linings ensures breathability
- EVA midsole provides extra cushioning for added comfort
- Unisex design and sizing
- They aren’t the most stylish boots, but when you’re hunting, style isn’t really a top priority
- A few users said that they were tight around their ankles
Under Armour Men’s Speed Freek Bozeman Hiking Boot
While the name may say hiking, these boots are great for hunting, too. Under Armour is one of the most trusted names in the sporting industry, including hunting. Made of synthetic materials, including a rubber sole, these boots are highly durable and provide exceptional traction on even the roughest terrains.
A waterproof lining is lightweight and breathable and will keep your feet nice and dry even in the most severe conditions. A suede leather upper is combined with an abrasion resistant nylon material for enhanced durability and reliability.
- Under Armour’s mission is to make all athletes better through passion, design and the relentless pursuit of innovation
- Where we started? It all started with an idea to build a superior T-shirt
- The technology behind Under Armour diverse product assortment for men, women and youth is complex, but the program for reaping the benefits is simple: wear HeatGear when it's hot, ColdGear when it's cold, and AllSeasonGear between the extremes
Exclusive UA Scent Control technology prevents odor-causing bacteria and keep your feet smelling nice and fresh. An ultra-light molded EVA midsole provides exceptional cushioning and shock absorption for increased comfort and the lightweight TPU shank provides mid-foot support and just the perfect amount of rigidity.
These boots even feature a molded Ortholite sock liner with a memory foam top and a PU base. Rounding out the features are a scratch rubber toe and heel for even more durability.
- Made of suede leather and abrasion-resistant nylon
- Scratch rubber toe and heel provides enhanced durability
- The outsole features aggressive traction for exceptional grip
- Lightweight TPU shank offers support at the mid-foot
- A ultra-light molded EVA midsole offers excellent shock absorption
- Boasts a sock liner with a memory foam top and a PU base
- Breathable and waterproof
- Attractive design
- The tongue is a bit loose and may move around as you walk
Rocky Men’s Bearclaw 3D Mobu Hunting Boot
Rounding out or list of the best hunting boots is the Rocky Men’s Bearclas 3D Mobu Hunting Boot. Made of full-grain brown leather, these boots are high-quality, durable, and waterproof, thanks to the Gore-Tex membrane.
These boots are also highly breathable for added comfort and will keep your feet dry in all types of conditions. With 1000 grams of Thinsulate Ultra Insulation, your feet will be toasty and warm in cold conditions, too; however, despite the insulation, these boots are still highly breathable and comfortable for warm conditions and doesn’t weight the boots down.
The Air-Port Cushion Footbed is shock-absorbing and provides exceptional comfort while promoting air circulation with every step you take. The 3D welt outsole construction ensures that your feet stay firmly planted on all types of terrains.
- Made of full-grain leather and nylon
- Gore-Tex fabric makes these boots waterproof, windproof, and breathable
- Features 1000 grams of Thinsulate Ultra Insulation to keep your feet cozy and warm in frigid temperatures
- The footbed provides shock absorption, offers excellent support, and promoted breathability
- Rock 3D welt outsole construction is durable and provides excellent traction
- Steel shank for added protection
- Available in a wide range of sizes
- Unique, yet attractive design
- Some reports the sizing may be on the small side
Other Best Selling Options
- Guaranteed Rocky Waterproof Construction
- Realtree Xtra Camo Nylon
- 800 Grams 3M Thinsulate Ultra Insulation
- Strobel / Cement Construction
- Energybed Footbed Featuring Memory Foam
- MATERIALS: The FREE SOLDIER boots crafted of 1.6-1.8mm abrasion-resistant Suede Leather with Ripstop 1000D Nylon, reinforced fabric for additional protection and long-time wearing. The tactical boots feature breathable, scratch-resistant, lightweight, wear-resisting, water resistant, durable, comfortable and flexible.
- BREATHABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT: The army boots for police weigh approx 2 lb / 32 ounce each. Ultralight design with ultimate durability offers the continuous comfort. Light and breathable nylon fabric to enhance the good permeability. Moisture-absorbent breathable holes in the instep and heel to aid in ventilation and drainage of moisture, help the lightweight hiking shoes keep your feet cool and dry.
- RUBBER SOLE: Shaft measures approximately 4.5" from arch, Heel is approx 1.5”. Ankle-high protection that wraps & supports the ankles. Non-slip, wear-resisting rubber outsole & Ultra cushioning and shock absorption EVA midsole for excellent performance, anti-collision toe and shock-absorbing heel. These military boots for men give you the safe protection and comfortable experience.
- UPGRADE DETAILS: Removable and washable POLIYOU insole adds the good permeability and moisture-wicking for the desert boots. The tongue of these motorcycle boots is fully padded and has one lace loop on it to keep it in place, it can effectively block the dirt and sand, offering the all-day clean. High quality nylon lace with metal hole for quick & easy lacing.
- FREE SOLDIER lightweight work boots for men is especially suitable for outdoor hiking, desert, camping, climbing, cycling, fishing, hunting, jungle, running, mountaineering, combat, military, backpacking, working, traveling, and so on. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any problems. Decent valentines day gifts for him.
- 【ATTENTION 】- PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK THE SIZE CHART BEFORE BUYING TO ENSURE THE BOOTS FIT YOU CORRECTLY.
- 【100% Waterproof】- It's important to maintain dry feet when hunting, especially in colder temperatures. Our high grade rubber and neoprene provides extra toughness and makes for a 100% Waterproof Design.
- 【Breathable & Warm】 - The boots are lined with our exclusive breathable air-mesh lining to keep your feet dry and comfortable. As you walk, the air is pushed and circulated through the vertical fibers allowing the skin to breath – this keeps your feet and boots dry and humidity-free. The 7mm neoprene will keep your feet warm all day. Comfort Rated of Standard Style Boots: -4°F/-20°C to 59°F/ 15°C.
- 【Comfortable & Anti-Slip】- Our EVA contoured mid-sole allows for lightweight cushioning, shock absorption, and comfort. The back gussets with cinch buckles ensure a secure and custom fit. Ingenious out-sole pattern design offers excellent stability and extra solid traction.
- 【Durable & User-Friendly】 – The sealed rubber shell extends up to the topline for additional protection from moisture, sharp sticks, rock, etc. The reinforced rubber also offers extra protection on the toe and heel of the boot. The boots are easy to take off using the protrusion located on the boot's heel.
- WATERPROOF: The boots are made from waterproof mesh upper and X-DRY Membrane waterproof.Moisture-wicking mesh lining. Keeps your feet dry and warm during walks through mud and snow.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: 200 Grams Thinsulate Insulation for -13°F. Integrated inserted EVA Midsole, Light weight and Sturdy enough even when carrying weight.
- TRACTION: Super aggressive X-grip rubber outsole with 7mm multi-directional lugs provides higher-traction grip while hiking. The boot may be a bit small than normal size, recommend ordering a half-size or a full size up from your normal size.
- SUPPORT: Molded TPU ankle support. Durable midsole for long lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return. Waterproof Hiking Boot features a lace-up closure for an adjustable, secure fit.
- FASHION - These Boots feature special technology to protect your feet.Designed to fit in with your outdoor-ready ensembles. Perfect for walking, skiing, hiking, camping, casual, working, shopping, driving, vacation, and also a good gift.
- Lace-up hunting boot featuring D-ring hardware and cushioned footbed
- Reinforced toe and heel cap
- Logo patch at tongue
Hunting Boots Buyer’s Guide
We’ve highlight eight of the best hunting boots that are currently available on the market and we truly believe that each option we shared is well-made, supportive, and will keep your feet comfortable and protected in all types of climates.
With that said, however, you may be scratching your head as you try to figure out which one will best suit your needs. In this section of our review, we share some key factors that you should take into consideration before you purchase a pair of hunting boots.
By taking these factors into consideration, you’ll be able to select the perfect pair of boots that will suit your specific needs.
Kind of Hunting
First things first: you need to consider the type of hunting you will be doing. As you can see, hunting boots are available in a wide variety of styles. For example, if you’re duck hunting, which involves wading in water, then you’ll want a pair of boots that will reach up to your knees, but if you’re hunting for deer in an open field, lower-cut boots may be suitable for our needs. Consider the type of conditions that you will experience when you’re out hunting to determine which style of boots you will need.
Just like any other type of footwear, you want to make sure that your hunting boots will fit your feet properly, as fit directly impacts the comfort of the boot. If you’re going to be shopping online, make sure you read through the product description to find out the exact measurements of the boots so that you can choose the size that will fit your feet properly. Keep in mind that just like any other type of shoes, hunting boots can run small or large, so your standard size may not fit you properly; hence why it’s so important to make sure that you find out the dimensions of the boots before you decide on a size.
Even if you aren’t hunting for waterfowl, it’s still a good idea to invest in a pair of hunting boots that are waterproof. As any hunter knows, you can run into all types of weather and conditions when you’re out in the field, the woods, or wherever else you’re planning on hunting; rain, dew, and snow, for example.
When come across moisture, you want to be sure that your feet will stay nice and dry, which is why it’s important to purchase a pair of hunting boots that are waterproof. Boots that feature Gore-Tex linings will keep your feet the driest, but they will cost a bit more; however, the added cost is worth it if you want to be sure that you won’t be water-logged.
The soles of your hunting boots will also have a huge impact on your overall comfort, as well as your safety. The soles are what connect you to the ground and you want to ensure that you have good grip when you’re traversing over all types of terrains. Look for a pair of boots that features deep lugs, as they’ll provide the best traction. You should also look for decent arch support and stability, as this will also impact your security and your comfort.
Keeping your feet warm is just as important as keeping them dry. If your boots don’t provide insulation, there’s a chance that you could experience frostbite, which is something that you definitely don’t want to encounter.
For hunters who are going to be out in frigid temps, snow, and ice, investing in a pair of boots that feature Thinsulate is definitely worthwhile. However, while insulation is certainly important, you also want to be sure that the boots are breathable. If they aren’t breathable, your feet will become sweaty, which is not only uncomfortable, but will also welcome odor-causing bacteria into your boots.
Laces or Slip-On
Hunting boots can either lace-up or slip-on. Typically, taller boots are slip-ons, as this design makes them easier to put on and take off, while shorter or mid-high boots that extend just past the ankles are usually lace-ups. The lace-up style provides greater stability, especially for the ankles, as you can adjust the tightness according to your preference.
Last but not least, you should also consider the price tag. Hunting boots are sold at a wide range of prices, from under $100 to a few hundred dollars. Typically, boots that feature higher-end materials and offer more features are going to be more expensive, and for good reason; they’re more expensive to make. That doesn’t mean that you can’t find a pair of high-quality boots for that are more economically priced, however. Before you start shopping, make sure you decide how much you’d like to spend so that you don’t go over your budget.
Hunting Boots FAQs
If you’ve never purchased hunting boots before, you might have a few questions. In this section, you’ll find answers to some of the most common questions that consumers ask about hunting boots.
What is considered a good weight for hunting boots?
While there isn’t necessarily a “right” weight for hunting boots, you really do need to consider how much they weigh, as the weight will impact your comfort. Generally speaking, the lighter they are, the more comfortable they will be.
Is ankle protection important?
It depends on the type of terrain you plan on going out on. For rugged terrains with lots of rocks and slopes, yes, ankle protection is important, as it will help to prevent twists and falls.
Is there a way to prevent odor?
Some hunting boots are made with advanced technologies that keep odor-causing bacteria at bay. If you’re concerned about odor, consider investing in a pair of boots that feature this technology.
Should they be tight or lose?
They should be somewhere in between. A good pair of hunting boots will be just right; a bit snug, but enough room to wiggle your toes around.
With the information presented in this guide, you should be well on your way to finding a great pair of reliable and supportive hunting boots that will keep your feet well-protected and comfortable for all your excursions. Remember that keeping your feet comfortable and properly protected is vital for a successful hunting trip, so make sure you invest well.