Mastering the bow is a worthy achievement that few hunters and sports shooters take up. Most hunters rely on rifles to take down animals, and shooting a target with a bow takes far more concentration than aiming a rifle sight and pulling the trigger.
Most bowhunters take to the plains with a compound bow. Compound setups make it easier to draw heavier poundages, allowing you to shoot further, with deadly force. However, purists understand that you need to go with a recurve model if you want an authentic hunting experience.
Recurve bows take away the mechanical leverage offered by compound systems, returning to a traditional shooting experience. Therefore, learning to master a recurve is like going back to our ancestors’ days as they learned to develop and use the bow and arrow for hunting.
Today, hunters use recurve bows, but they’re more common in sports archery tournaments. Sports archery has entire leagues dedicated to the recurve bow, with thousands of talented competitors. If you’re looking for a recurve bow to start your archery experience, check out this review.
We curated this list of the best recurve bows available. We have models to suit any draw strength, age, or experience level.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Recurve Bow Reviews
- 3 TOPARCHERY 55” Archery Traditional Recurve Bow
- 4 Other Best Selling Options
- 5 Recurve Bow Buyer’s Guide
- 6 What are the Different Types of Recurve Bows?
- 7 What are the Elements of a Recurve Bow?
- 8 Other Recurve Bow Accessories
- 9 Recurve Bow FAQs
- 10 Recurve Bows – The Verdict
When choosing the best recurve bows, we reviewed dozens of listings looking for the top models. We selected ten options for this review, and these three picks represent the best of the bunch. We have recurved bows to suits any budget or experience level.
- The Best Pick: Monleap 51″ Takedown Recurve Bow Kit
The Monleap 51-inch recurve bow is a fantastic choice and the winner of the best overall model in this review. This model comes with a durable aluminum riser, featuring molding for optimal hand placement and target accuracy. This model comes with adjustable draw weights ranging from 30lbs to 60lbs, making it the ideal choice for teens that want to grow into their bow. This bow comes with pre-installed brass bushings, allowing for the fitment of accessories like armrests and sights. You get a complete kit, with a quiver carry-case included with your purchase.
- The Premium Pick: Spyder XL Takedown Recurve Bow
The Spyder XL is the winner of the best premium model in this review. This model comes with a 64-inch length and a 55lb draw. This model is the upgrade to the successful Sage 2 bow, making it a top choice for professional sports shooters and hunters. You get a redwood riser for extra durability and composite limbs for extra resilience and high-performance.
- The Budget Pick: Bear Bullseye X Youth Recurve Bow
Teens looking for the best starter bow will get the best value from this Bear Bullseye model. You get a takedown design with a 62-inch length and an ergonomic wood riser for enhanced accuracy from your shots. This model comes with an affordable price tag and high performance for hunting or on the target range. You get an arrow rest, and string nock included with your purchase and right or left-handed use of the bow.
Recurve Bow Reviews
A recurve bow is a formidable weapon to master. Having the right model in your quiver determines your progress with the bow. If you get an inferior quality bow, it slows your learning progress and teaches you bad habits.
After reading through our top picks, let’s unpack them in detail. This section will go into depth on pour top models and look at other choices that qualify for the best recurve bow.
Monleap 51″ Takedown Recurve Bow Kit
This Monleap 51-inch takedown recurve bow wins our award for the best overall model in this review. This model is a great choice for bowhunters and enthusiasts looking for professional-level equipment. You get a high-strength riser, featuring design and construction with lightweight materials.
The ergonomic handgrip on the riser provides steady shooting and improved accuracy. The riser comes with an aluminum construction that feels good in your hands, providing the bow with excellent balance. This model comes with a 16-strand Dracon bowstring, featuring imported materials for long service life.
- Archery bow features: Recurve bow length:51", metal riser, strong fiberglass limbs. Draw weight: 30lb, 40lb and 50lb. Bow weight: 3.7 pound. Designed for RIGHT HANDED shooters. Quality tested and ensured for maximum durability.
- Easily assemble and disassemble: This archery takedown bow is very easy to put together and take down. When assembled very small, when collapsed can fits in a backpack or hiking pack. Please keep in mind that using the bow stringer tool is the most safe way to properly assemble and disassemble the bow.
- Comfortable grip: The alloy riser is ergonomically designed with rounded edges and a fine finished handle, very comfortable to hold, which will allow you to have your best experience while aiming on your target at your target shooting competition game.
- Package contents: 1* takedown bow, 1* arm guard, 1* finger guard, 1* bow sight, 1* arrow rest, 1* rubber stabilizer, 1* bowstringer tool, 12* carbon arrows, 1*3 tube arrow quiver.
- Perfect archery set: This bow and arrows set is a great gift choice for adult beginners or professionals. You can get all the archery equipment in this order. After receiving the parcel you can go to the archery immediately! No need to spend time and money buy other accessories.
The Monleap takedown recurve bow features multiple draw poundage’s, allowing custom adjustment to your strength level. The bow limbs come with easy fitment and construction with laminated hardwood maple in the center and a fiberglass coating for added strength and resilience.
Your set comes with the following.
- Takedown recurve bow
- 5-Pin bow sight
- Arrow rest
- Bow stringer
- Finger guard
- Arrow quiver
- 6x Arrowhead
- 6x Aluminum arrow
- 6x Fiberglass arrow
This model comes with a carry case include, but it’s not TSA-approved.
- Durable aluminum riser
- 51-inch size with takedown design
- Hardwood maple limbs
- Smooth edge avoids injury
- Multiple draw weight options
- Pre-installed brass bushings
- 12 arrows and six arrowheads included
- Streamlined carry case included
- Easy assembly
Southwest Spyder XL Takedown Recurve Bow
This Spyder XL model wins our award for the best premium recurve bow in this review.
This 62-inch professional recurve bow is a great choice for hunting and sports shooting applications. This model is the updated version of the infamous Samick Sage bow, Southwests’ leading recurve model.
- We’ve combined four naturally sourced woods to create this beautiful bow that is the perfect choice for just about anyone!
- SPECS – Available in both Left Hand and Right Hand with draw weights of 25lb – 55lb (5lb increments). Features preinstalled threaded bushings for various accessory upgrades such as mechanical rests/plungers, sights, quivers, and stabilizers/bow fishing reels. Reinforced limb tips allow bow to be Fast Flight and Flemish string compatible.
- INCLUDES – one handcrafted riser (LH or RH), one pair of matching limbs (upper and lower), one 14 strand Dacron string, one stick on adhesive arrow rest, and detailed step by step instructions with photos.
- OPTIONAL – If you do not already own a stringer tool, please select the option to have one included (color may vary). Keep in mind that using a stringer tool is the ONLY safe way to properly assemble and disassemble your bow!
- DARE TO COMPARE – Extraordinary quality at an affordable price and backed with an industry leading warranty. All Southwest Archery bows include a 1-year manufacturer warranty when registered online after purchase! Don’t hesitate to check out our storefront to see all our other amazing products!
With the Spyder XL, you get a 55lb draw capacity, making it the ideal choice for bow enthusiasts and hunters with draw-lengths over 29-inches. This model is a great upgrade over the Samick Sage, providing rounded edges on the riser and limb pockets, producing a sleeker look and less weight to the bow.
The riser includes a redwood layer for a premium look and additional performance. You get flush limb bolts for an eye-pleasing aesthetic, and they are fast-flight compatible.
The Spyder XL comes as a complete kit, and you get a lockable airline case, TSA-approved for travel.
- Sturdy plastic carry case
- 62-inch size with takedown design
- Streamlined riser motions
- Attractive hardwood handle
- 3 carbon arrows included
- Full accessory kit included
- 1-year warranty
Bear Bullseye X Youth Recurve Bow
If you’re looking for an affordable entry-level bow for your kids, this Bear Bullseye model is an excellent and affordable choice. You get a premium design, a fantastic price tag, and top-quality materials used to construct this recurve.
The takedown design makes it easy to take apart and assemble, and it makes a great choice for kids older than 12-years. This model comes with a right-handed riser only, so it’s not suitable for left-handed shooters.
- A Take-Down bow designed for older, more experienced children
- Recommended age range for children is 12 years old and up
- Right-hand only riser offers sight and arrow rest mounting holes
- Each piece of bow is made from a hardy, lightweight multi-laminate
- This recurve bow package includes arrow rest and string nock
You get a large 62-inch length, with lightweight, laminate limbs for extra performance. This model comes with an arrow rest and string nock, with pre-installed arrow rest holes. It’s the ideal bow for young teens transitioning into a model with a harder draw and a full-size feel.
- An excellent choice for kids and teens
- 62-inch length
- Riser comes with sight rest and mounting holes
- Takedown design
- Hardwood handle
SAS Sage Take Down Recurve Bow Kit
This SAS Sage model is a top choice for anyone looking to upgrade their current bow to a professional-grade model. The SAS Sage comes with the following items included in your kit.
- SAS Sage Bow
- Bowstring and stringer
- Made in the USA
- Leather suede arm guard and finger tab
- Paper targets
- Arrow Rest
You get a 62-inch takedown design with this model, and it’s possible to purchase limbs separately to adjust the length and draw poundage. The SAS comes with olive Dymondwood hard maple and laminated fiberglass limbs, providing superior performance and excellent resilience.
- SAS Sage 62" Takedown Recurve Bow with Olive Dymondwood & Hard Maple Laminated Riser + Hard Maple with Black Fiberglass Limbs
- Pre-installed Brass Bushings for Brass Plunger, Stabilizer, Sight, and Quiver
- Single Tapered Knob and Metal Limb Pocket Design
- Limbs Can Be Purchased Separately to Increase or Decrease Draw Weight As Needed
- Package Includes: SAS Bow, Bow String, Arrow Rest, Deluxe Foam Bow Case, Leather Duede Arm Guard, Leather Finger Tab, Bow Stringer, and SAS Paper Target
The bow comes with preinstalled brass bushings for your brass plunger and arrow rest. The hardwood riser features an ergonomic grip for better wrist alignment on your target.
This model includes a full accessory kit, including a TSA-approved flight case for traveling to competitions or hunting trips.
- 62-inch takedown design
- Dymondwood and hard maple laminated riser
- Pre-installed brass bushings
- Metal limb pocket design
- Multi-handed options available
- Full accessory kit included
- Hard flight case included
TOPARCHERY 55” Archery Traditional Recurve Bow
This Toparchery model is the traditional junior sibling of the model that winds the best recurve bow in this review. You get a lightweight and sturdy recurve bow, including a complete accessory kit featuring the following components.
- Recurve bow
- Finger glove
- Bow stringer
- 4x target Pins
- 6x Carbon arrows
- 5x Paper Targets
This bow features a traditional design, meaning it doesn’t have the takedown arms that you get with the other premium models in this review. The riser also has a simple look, with nothing like the ergonomic design we see in takedown models.
- ★Bow Body Length: 55 inches; String Length: 54 inches; Safe Draw Length: 28 inches; Maximum saw draw length: 33 inches.
- ★Material: safflower handle, splicing bamboo bow. Laminate techniques offer the best toughness and power for the bow
- ★A lightweight design, Pure handmade, quality tested.Great choice for both beginners and professionals.
- ★Available in Right Hand with draw weights of 30lb – 50lb (5lb increments). Great for bowhunting, target, and traditional archery.
- ★【Recurve Bow Set Includes】1 pc Recurve bow, 6 pcs Carbon Arrows, 1pc arm guard, 1 pc bow stringer, 1 pc finger guard, 4pcs target pin, 5pcs target paper
However, for bow purists, a traditional bow offers the ultimate bowhunting experience, getting you back to the weapon’s origins. You get a maximum draw length of 33-inches, with a smooth draw and high-performance shooting, thanks to the fiberglass frame.
- 53-inch takedown design
- 45lb draw weight
- Full accessory kit
- Right or left-handed use
- Affordable quality
- Traditional riser
AF Archery Turkish Bow Short Bow
Bowhunting purists will love this stunning traditional model from AF Archery. One look at this gorgeous piece of craftsmanship, and you’ll fall in love with its exquisite beauty. This Turkish model comes with a wood-laminated fiberglass frame, providing an authentic touch to the bow’s final design aesthetic.
- Name: Turkish Bow.......Bow Type: Fiberglass Bow
- Total Bow Length:110 cm/43.3 In.......String Length:42 In
- Brace Height:6.9 Inches.......Draw Length: 28 Inches,Max. .Draw Length: 30 Inches
- OX Horn String Pad: Prevent the bow from turning over,safety and Effective
- Lightspot: light,powerful little bow,snappy and accurate,great beginner Bow for horseback archery
This model comes with a traditional leather grip, and the bow feels remarkably stable in your hands, with a steady draw and excellent resilience off the draw. You get a 35lb draw, making this recurve a good choice for target practice and close-range hunting.
With the AF Archery Turkish bow, you get high-quality materials blended with a stylish design for a fantastic recurve bow offering outstanding traditional performance. This model is as much of a showpiece as it is a functional ow, and it makes for a great prop.
- Traditional bow design
- High-quality design materials
- 45-inch length
- Ashwood riser and limbs
- Horse leather pull-up
Southwest Archery Tigershark Pro Takedown 62″ Recurve Hunting Bow
This 62-inch takedown recurve bow from Southwest Archery is a fantastic choice for hunting or target shooting. This model comes with adjustable draw weights from 25lbs to 60lbs, allowing for use by youth shooters to advanced competitors.
- Specs - We’ve combined four naturally sourced woods to create this beautiful 62” takedown recurve bow that is available in both left and right handed with draw weights of 20-60lbs (in 5lb increments). Reinforced limb tips allow bow to be Fast Flight and Flemish string compatible.
- Standard vs. Pro - The Tigershark Pro offers a Precision Pin-Locking Technology to guarantee exact limb placement for improved performance and accuracy as well as reduce the overall weight. Both models feature preinstalled threaded bushings for various accessory upgrades such as mechanical rests and plungers, sights, quivers, and stabilizers or bowfishing reels.
- Includes - One handcrafted riser (LH or RH), one pair of matching limbs, one 14 strand Dacron string, one stick on adhesive arrow rest and detailed step by step instructions with photos.
- Optional - If you do not already own a stringer tool, please select the option to have one included (color may vary). Keep in mind that using a stringer tool is the ONLY safe way to properly assemble and disassemble your bow!
- Dare To Compare - Extraordinary quality at an affordable price and backed with an industry leading warranty. All Southwest Archery bows include a 1-year manufacturer warranty when registered online after purchase! Don’t hesitate to check out our storefront to see all our other amazing products!
You get an ambidextrous riser set up, allowing for right or left-handed use. This model includes an ergonomic riser design, locking your wrist into the riser for stable targeting and a steady shot. The riser on the Tigershark Pro features design and construction with hard-carved hardwood, forming a tiger-stripe pattern.
This model comes with reinforced limb tips, providing compatibility with Flemish and fast-light strings. The Tigershark Pro comes with pin-locking technology, allowing precise limb placement for accurate shots. You get pre-installed bushings for accessories like mechanical rests and plungers, as well as quivers, sights, and even fishing reels.
- 62-inch takedown design
- Right and left-handed draw
- Multiple draw weights
- Attractive hardwood riser
- Precision pin-locking technology
- 14 strand Dacron string
PSE Archery Pro Max Takedown Recurve Bow Set
This PSE Archery recurve bow features a takedown design with fiberglass reinforced limbs and a 62-inch length for high-performance professional use. This model features a hardwood riser with ergonomic hand positioning. This setup locks your wrist into the shot, improving your accuracy with the bow.
- High performance: 62” hunting bow is great for entry-level shooters and youth (ages 11 and up).
- Easy-to-use: 25-pound pull, making it the perfect starter or backyard recreational takedown bow
- High quality: Attractive diamond wood construction, composite limbs, and carbon arrows
- Travel: 3 piece design makes it easy to transport making it a convenient bow and arrow for teens
- Includes: Adjustable sight, quiver, 3 carbon arrows, armguard, finger savers, & recurve stringer
This model comes with a 25lb pull and a takedown design with easy assembly. You get attractive and functional diamond wood construction, with composite limbs, and three carbon arrows included with your purchase.
The PSE Archery Pro comes with an adjustable sight for easier targeting, as well as a quiver, armguard, finger-savers, and a recurve stringer. This kit is a great choice for youth shooters stepping up to a larger platform.
- User-friendly design
- 62-inch takedown design
- Reduced draw weight for beginners (15lb to 35lb)
- Three 28-inch carbon arrows included
- Efficient mar-resistant grippers
- Accessory kit included
- Threading pin included
Southland Archery Supply Sage Junior 58″ Recurve Bow
This model from Southland Archery is the ideal recurve bow for youths. Featuring a riser based on the Samick Sage design, this recurve offers superior shot control and accuracy for newbie archers.
The riser frame features design and construction from white oak, diamond wood, and maple. The limbs feature hard Maplewood and fiberglass materials for excellent resilience and top-level performance.
- RISER: Developed and upgraded riser was specifically designed for Youth and smaller framed shooters. Created from Premium White Oak, Dymondwood, and Maple Wood, not only is the bow durable, it will help elevate your performance. Pre-installed Brass Bushings for Brass Plunger, Stabilizer, Sight, and Quiver
- LIMBS: Made of Hard Maple and Black Fiberglass. Select from 14 -20lbs draw weight. Phenolic reinforced limb tips and compatible with Fast Flight and Flemish strings.
- LENGTH: 58 in; Recommended shooter heights upto 5.5'. RECOMMENDED MAX DRAW LENGTH: 28"; RECOMMENDED BRACE HEIGHT: 6 1/2 inch to 7 1/2 inch. For adults, we recommed our SAS Premier 62" Bow
- INCLUDES: Kit comes with 2 x Stick on adhesive Arrow Rests and 1 x Dacron String. We recommend using our SAS Stringer tool (NOT included) as it is the ONLY safe way to assemble and disassemble your bow which will help avoid the twisting of your limbs. Check out our youtube video for [How to String Recurve Bow with a SAS Stringer]
- BEST WARRANTY IN THE INDUSTRY: We are so confident with our products that we offer the best, hassle free 2-Year warranty in the industry. Compare that to the 1-year average or no warranty from oversea sellers.
This recurve bow comes with pre-installed brass bushing for plungers, rests, and other accessories. You get phenolic reinforced limbs, allowing for stringing with Flemish or Fast-flight strings.
This Southland Archery model comes with a 58-inch length, suiting archers up to 5.5’, with a maximum draw range of 28-inches. This model also comes with a Dracon string and two stick-on arrow rests.
- Upgrade to the popular Samick Sage model
- Hardwood riser
- 62-inch takedown design
- 28-inch draw length
- Dracon strings
- Brass plunger and stabilizer sight
PSE ARCHERY Kingfisher 56″ Recurve Bow
If you’re heading out to the lake, take this PSE Kingfisher model with you. This recurve bow comes with a fishing-specific design, featuring a 66-foot fishing line attached to the riser’s mounted reel. This model comes with one fish-stick arrow and a 60-pound line that capable of bringing in large fish.
- Bowfishing recurve bow specifications: Package Includes; One Fish Stick Arrow with Safety Stop and Safety Slide. Drum Reel with 66 feet of 60 pound test line; Tide Chaser Rest. Finger Savers; Right Hand Only
- Kingfisher bow: Ideal 56” length for excellent maneuvering while on the water; Precision machined riser for lasting durability
- The ideal bowfishing bow: Everything you need starts here; Gear up for fishing, and reel in the fish this season with The PSE Kingfisher Bowfishing Recurve Bow
- PSE fishing bow design: Complete durable design is built to last; The limbs are covered in color DK'D camo pattern to help keep you hidden in the wilderness; Includes a 32-inch bowfishing arrow
- Made in USA: Adventure Starts Here with The PSE Kingfisher Bowfishing Recurve Bow; An affordable & multi-use bowfishing bow. Experience complete performance
This model comes with a 56-inch length and a tide chaser rest with finger savers. This model comes with a DK’d camo pattern to keep the fish distracted and high-viz colors to find it if it falls in the water.
This model is a top choice for a fishing bow and a great addition to your camping gear. It’s suitable for use by professionals and newbies, with a user-friendly setup.
- Suitable for fishing
- 56-inch length
- Drum reel with a 66-foot line
- DK’D camo pattern on limbs
- Multi-use design
- Accessory kit included
Other Best Selling Options
- SIZE – the Samick Sage Recurve bow is 62” long, 28” draw length, and choose your draw weight from 25-60lb.
- INCLUDES: Riser - 2 Fiberglass laminated limbs - 14 Strands dacron bowstring – Stick on arrow rest – assembly instructions. Limbs are interchangeable and can be purchased separately.
- HAND ORIENTATION - Right Handed - Hold the bow with your LEFT hand and pull the string with your RIGHT. Left Handed - Hold the bow with your RIGHT hand and pull the string with your LEFT.
- FEATURES - Pre-installed threaded Brass Bushings for various attachments and upgrades, such as, Brass Plunger, Stabilizer, Sight, Quiver, Bow fishing reel.
- ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED - risers are designed with lightweight Maple wood, and a comfortable ergonomic grip, so it’s easy to hold and your hands don’t get tired
- 【High Performance】TideWe’s Recurve Bow features a reliable wooden core and strong fiberglass & wooden limbs. In addition, we provide a powerful 16 strands daclon fabric bow string. This way you can focus more on successfully hitting your targets.
- 【Ergonomic & Unique Design】 The riser is designed with rounded edges and a fine finished handle, making it very comfortable to hold. This comfort will allow you to have the best experience shooting multiple arrows or for extending amounts of time. Our design is also appealing to the eye making it unique in its own ways.
- 【Easy to Assemble & Versatility】 This recurve bow is very friendly to put together. While following the easy to read instructions, set up can take less than 5 minutes. Our bow offers pre-installed brass bushings for various attachments and upgrades such as, stabilizers, sight, quiver, and bow fishing reels.
- 【User-Friendly】 TideWe’s bow provides multiple accessories, including an arrow rest, finger guard, target, bow stringer, 6 pcs carbon arrows with removable field tips, and more. Created with removable limbs this bow can also be stored in various ways for easy storage.
- 【100% Customer Satisfaction】 Your Satisfaction is Our Goal. Please contact us if you encounter any problems before or after your purchase. Our professional customer service team will reply as soon as possible.
- 【Archery Recurve Bow Features】Bow length:51", metal riser, strong fiberglass limbs. Draw weight: 30lb, 40lb. Bow weight: 3.7 pound. Carbon Arrow:30",Spine 500
- 【Design for Right Handed shooter】 Recommend this bow for someone interested in learning archery, beginner and skilled archer.
- 【Easily Assemble Bow and Arrow Set 】: This archery long bow is very easy to put together and take down. When assembled very small, when collapsed can fits in a backpack or hiking pack. Please keep in mind that using the bow stringer tool is the most safe way to properly assemble and disassemble the bow.
- 【What Will You Get】:1 x Recurve Bow；12 x Carbon arrows；1 x Recurve Bow Case；1 x Archery Arm Guard ；1 x Archery Finger Tabs；1 x Archery Quivers；1 x Arrow rest；1 x Bow sight；1x Bow stabilizer；5 x Archery Targets Paper
- 【Perfect Bow and Arrow Set】: This bow and arrows set is a great gift choice for adult beginners or professionals. You can get all the archery equipment in this order. After receiving the parcel you can go to the archery immediately! No need to spend time and money buy other accessories.
Recurve Bow Buyer’s Guide
This section unpacks what to look for in a recurve bow.
What are the Different Types of Recurve Bows?
There are two types of recurve bows available in this review.
- Modern Recurve – The modern recurve bow features a riser, limbs, and strings. Most models come with a takedown design, allowing you to disassemble the components for easy transportation and storage. However, the riser is the biggest difference in modern recurve designs. You get an ergonomic grip and compatibility with accessories like buttons, sights, and stabilizer bars.
- Traditional recurve – The conventional recurve bow is the original hunting and defense bow used until the era of modern warfare weapons. It features a plain riser and one-piece assembly. The traditional bow lacks the “3” shape of the modern takedown variant.
What are the Elements of a Recurve Bow?
Here are a few tips to help you settle on the right recurve bow for your archery needs.
The riser is the powerhouse of your bow and the element of the weapon requiring the greatest consideration. The riser forms the foundation of your recurve bow. It acts as the hub connecting your body to the bow.
Therefore, you need a riser featuring design and construction with top-quality materials. Look for risers with hardwoods like Maple Diamon wood and redwood for optimal performance. Your riser can work with other limbs, and it’s the part of the bow that stays with you’re the longest throughout your archery career.
When selecting your riser, it’s critical to look for an ergonomic design. The riser should push your wrist into a locked position when targeting with the bow. This turning action helps to secure your wrist for an accurate shot.
Risers are typically the most expensive part of the bow. However, they don’t always need wooden construction. Some risers feature design and construction with lightweight aluminum for a long-lasting finish.
The riser needs to offer the archer stability in the shot and excellent balance of the bow in your hands. Take time to consider your riser’s weight, contours, and geometry before settling on your purchase.
For beginner archers, it’s important to focus on building your skillset with the bow. The limbs on your bow play the biggest role in determining the draw poundage and the bow performance. However, it takes time to build the poundage in your bow.
You’ll need to start with a 20lb limb and work your way up to a 60lb limb. Beginning with a heavy limb causes you to build bad habits in your form that delay your progress.
The chances are that beginners will outgrow limbs in a few months, needing to progress to the next poundage. Therefore, you’ll need to consider that when making your purchase.
Your bowstrings come in various thicknesses and lengths to suit your bow size. Thicker strings are suitable for use in bows with higher poundage’s. They offer slower loading ties, but thicker strings are the better choice for hunting applications.
It’s important to use a tied nocking point for your strings. A brass nocking point wears down the finger tabs and strings faster.
You might notice that strings come in various colors. However, the color is not an indicator of the properties of the string. Most competitive archers choose a white string. Hunters might prefer darker strings to blend into their surroundings.
Purists might argue that using a sight on a bow takes away from the purity of the weapon. However, if you’re a sports shooter or hunter, you’ll find that a shooting sight is an essential piece of kit for your bow. Your shooting sight allows accurate targeting in all weather conditions, improving your performance.
It’s important to invest in a good quality sight from the start. Cheaper sights eventually come loose and start rattling, affecting the accuracy of the accessory.
Rests and Buttons
The rests for your bow come in plastic, magnetic, or fixed versions. However, we recommend going with metal rest, as they provide the longest service life. Beginners might find them challenging to learn on, but they provide a better experience for advanced archers.
However, plenty of professionals shoot with plastic rests, and there are plenty of records set using plastic variants. The button on your bow is essentially a spring pushing the arrow away from the riser as it moves over the rest in flight.
The button allows for precision adjustment of the arrow flight path when paired with the rest, providing optimal flight paths.
Your bow might come with accessory attachments for stabilizers. Stabilizers are long or short rods extending from the riser. They act as a counterweight, reducing the recoil in the shot.
Many beginners struggle with managing shot dynamics. They flinch or dip up or down when making the shot, causing elevation or a drop on the riser. As a result, they get inaccuracies in shots, and that gets frustrating.
Adding stabilizer bars can resolve this problem. However, purists argue that the archer relies on the stabilizer, reinforcing back habits in your body mechanics.
Some bows require stabilizer bars to balance the weight of the bow. However, most recurves come with a balanced design, and bow stabilizers are more common on compound models.
Arrows are an essential part of your recurve bow setup. When you’re starting, go with the low-coast arrow types, like aluminum or cheaper aluminum/carbon hybrid arrows. These arrows offer the best performance for a beginner budget.
The arrow spine is a measurement of the poundage you’re pulling at the max draw length. You’ll need to check this measurement against manufacturer charts. These numbers also change when you switch limbs on the bow.
Choose an arrow fletch with vanes in bright colors for indoor shooting. Bright vanes also help with tracking an animal in the field. Plastic vanes are an affordable choice for beginners. However, as you progress, you’ll want to move to spin wings.
When ordering your arrows, pick up extra fletching’s and nocks to help you repair your broken arrows.
Look for a recurve bow that comes with finger tabs. They should feature a structured design with a shelf or finger divider. If these features don’t come standard with your model, it should offer you the option of adding them.
As you improve with your archery, you’ll need to start implementing these tools in your training. Both feel very strange when using them for the first time. However, you’ll quickly adjust to them and wonder how you ever shot without them.
Other Recurve Bow Accessories
- Armguard – Protects your forearm from the bowstring
- Chestguard – Protects your chest from the bowstring
- Quiver – Lets you stack your arrows on the bow
- Bag or tackle box – For additional arrowheads and maintenance accessories
- Bow stand – Store your bow out the way when not in use
- Arrow puller – An essential tool if your archery club uses straw boss targets
- String wax – For faster reloads
- Fingersling – For better pull and release of the bowstring
Recurve Bow FAQs
Is a recurve bow a good beginner choice?
Yes, and no. If you want to avoid hours of frustration, then skip the recurve and go for a compound. However, if you’re a purist and want to start your bow education, mastering the recurve bow is the best place to build your archery skillset.
What’s better, a recurve or longbow?
The “3” shaped design of the recurve bow offers you more power in the shot from the same pull. The recurve riser’s ergonomic handle also helps lock your wrist into the shot, improving your accuracy.
How far does a 50lb recurve bow shoot?
With a 50lb receive bow, you can expect an effective shooting distance of up to 50-feet with full extension of the string. After 40-yards, the power in the shot drops off dramatically. If you’re aiming at a hunting target, make sure you’re within 40-feet for an accurate kill shot.
Where can I buy the best recurve bow?
We recommend picking up your recurve vow from Amazon. Amazon has the best range of recurves and the lowest prices. If you sign up for an Amazon Prime account, you benefit from fast, free shipping to your door. Amazon also offers buyer protection on all your orders and hassle-free returns.
Recurve Bows – The Verdict
Hunting or archery practice with a recurve bow is a change from a compound setup, and it takes some getting used to before you get your accuracy back. However, if you manage to master the recurve, you’ll find your accuracy with the compound increases tremendously.
After reading through the best recurve bow reviews, you probably have your eye on a few models. If you’re battling with your purchase decision, why not rely on one of our top picks?
- The Monleap 51″ Takedown Recurve Bow Kit is our top choice for the best recurve bow on this review. This model includes a takedown bow with a hardwood riser and composite limbs. You get adjustable draw poundages, and a complete accessory kit with a carry case included.
- The Spyder XL Takedown Recurve Bow Kit is another great choice for a professional recurve bow. This model also comes with a complete accessory kit, including a lockable TSA-approved flight case for traveling on hunting trips or to tournaments. You get a strong bow, with a 55lb draw, ergonomic hardwood riser, and composite limbs for outstanding performance on the range or in the field.
- The Bear Bullseye X Youth Recurve Bow is our top choice for teens looking for their first step-up bow. Teaching your kid how to manage a traditional recurve bow before starting with a compound teaches them vital basic bow skills. This model comes with a complete accessory kit, and you get a takedown design with a 35lb draw.