Are you looking to prepare yourself against all threats? A good pair of boots is an essential piece of kit for any prepper, protecting your feet in various environmental conditions. From survival to law enforcement, there are plenty of uses for tactical boots.
When you’re on foot to your bug out location, you’re going to encounter various terrain. A good pair of tactical boots prevent you from injuring your feet or ankles in stumbles while safeguarding your feet from sharp objects and snakebites.
Law enforcement officers and security personnel need the best protection they can get for their feet. Tactical boots provide a functional and rugged fit, giving your feet the protection they need against sharp objects and ligament injuries.
They have design and construction to give your feet and ankle joints a full range of motion. The result is easy movement in combat scenarios and emergencies. Tactical boots are becoming a popular addition to everyone’s wardrobe in 2020.
With America’s problems continuing to escalate, many people turn to a prepper lifestyle to prepare for an uncertain future. It would help if you had the best gear and protection for you and your family, and tactical boots are a must-have item in your wardrobe.
There are dozens of models available at online retailers. We spent hours combing through listings to find the best tactical boots available. This review gives you ten models that are worthy of protecting your feet in any survival or law enforcement emergency.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Tactical Boots Reviews
- 2.1 Merrell Moab 2 8″ Tactical
- 2.2 Under Armour Men’s Infil Ops
- 2.3 Bufferzone 9″ Tan Military-Style Tactical Boot
- 2.4 5.11 Tactical Men’s ATAC 2.0 8″ Tactical Boots
- 2.5 5.11 Men’s Speed 3.0 Jungle Tactical Boot
- 2.6 Under Armor Valsetz Military Tactical Boot
- 2.7 Bates 8″ Ultralite Tactical Military Boot
- 2.8 Fila Stormer Military Tactical Boot
- 2.9 NORTIV 8″ Tactical Boots
- 2.10 CQR Tactical Boots
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Tactical Boots Buyer’s Guide
- 5 What are the Types of Tactical Boots?
- 6 Tactical Boot FAQs
- 7 Tactical Boots – The Verdict
If you want the best protection, you can find as fast as possible, skip the rest of the review and focus on this section. After reviewing dozens of tactical boots, we settled on these three models for the best options.
There’s a tactical boot to suit any application or budget, and we focused on boots with a functional and comfortable design. Choose the tactical boot matching your requirements, and you can cross it off your preparedness list.
Best Pick: Merrell Moab 2 8″ Tactical
- BUILT FOR THE TOUGHEST ENVIRONMENTS: Waterproof leather and rip stop uppers are built to stand up to the toughest jobs. Virbac TC5+ outsole delivers traction on any surface
- UPPER: Waterproof PU coated leather and rip stop textile with M-Select DRY waterproof membrane. Stability arms with spray rubber for added security and durability
- EASY ENTRY: Durable side zipper for easy on and off and a bellows tongue to keep out debris
- MIDSOLE: Features Merrell air cushion in heel to absorb shock and add stability. Lightweight nylon arch shank gives flexible support where you need it
- TOE AND HEEL: Protective, abrasion resistant rubber toe cap. Molded internal heel counter cups the heel for added stability
Merrel makes some of the best outdoor footwear available. Featuring rugged styling with a modern edge, this set of Merrel Moabs comes with an 8″ ankle height for protection against ankle injuries. You get the option of tactical black or desert tan colors to suit your environment and operator needs. These tactical boots come with a design featuring leather, fabric, and “RipStop” materials for durability. Merrel’s patented “Virbac TC5+” outsole on the boot delivers you excellent levels of traction on any terrain, with an “M-Select DRY” waterproof membrane protecting your feet from moisture.
Premium Pick: Under Armor Men’s Infill Ops
- Breathable GORE-TEX membrane is 100% waterproof but still allows sweat to escape so you stay dry
- High abrasion textile upper with Anafoam overlay, anatomically molded for precise fit & support
- Molded rubber toe cap
- TPU stability chassis for heel lockdown & support
- Scratch rubber heel overlay for durability
Law enforcement officers and military personnel looking for the best premium tactical boots will enjoy this model from Under Armor. These tactical boots feature an ergonomic, cross-theme design, providing a comfortable fit with a full range of motion for your ankles. The Gore-Tex material is breathable and water-resistant, making them the ideal choice for wet or humid conditions. You get a genuine leather upper for protection and durability, along with high-abrasion-resistant textiles featuring an “Anafoam” overlay. These boots come with an anatomically molded sole for excellent support and a precise fit.
Budget Pick: Bufferzone 9″ Tan Military-Style Tactical Boot
- Suede, Rubber Sole
- Height: 9" standard military boot height. Weight: 35 oz. per boot
- Upper: Cow suede leather and nylon. Liner: Moisture-wicking liner for superior breathability. Outsole: Slip & oil resistant lug rubber; Panama. Insole: Removable cushioned EVA insert
- Padded collar for extra comfort and ankle support. Rust-proof Speed-hook lacing system, Steel shank for lateral support and stability. Gusseted tongue and zipper to keep debris out, Side zipper with Velcro closure for easy on/off
- Six months manufacturer’s warranty. Sizes run true.
If you’re looking for the best option on a budget, these Bufferzone 9″ tactical boots are a great choice. You get a classic leather and desert tan military look, with 9″ ankle protection and a speed lacing design. These rugged and tough boots feature a suede finish and construction with slip and oil-resistant lug rubber. The padded collar provides additional ankle support, with a moisture-wicking liner to keep your feet dry. These boots come with a gusseted tongue and side-zipper to keep out debris. These tactical boots are an affordable and effective option and the winner of the best budget tactical boots in this review.
Tactical Boots Reviews
Now that you have an idea of our top options let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll also walk you through a few other models we think are top choices for tactical boots. There are options to suit any tactical needs in any environment and various price points to suit your budget.
After reading through the reviews, check out our buyer’s guide. We’ll give you some useful tips on picking out the right set of tactical boots for your preparedness needs.
Merrell Moab 2 8″ Tactical
Named after the Moab Desert’s unforgiving territory, these tactical boots are the best overall choice in this review. Merrel makes some of the best outdoor footwear available, and we won’t go hiking without our Chameleon 2s.
This tactical boot features all the design elements you would expect in a Merrel shoe. The Waterproof PU coated leather upper provide your ankles with plenty of support, and the Virbac TC5+ outsole gives you superior traction in all weather environments and on all terrain.
These boots feature excellent range-of-motion in the ankle, with a side zipper for easy fitment and a Velcro strap to prevent the zipper from falling as you walk or run. These tactical boots come in an all-black color for a tactical look or a desert tan color for a military aesthetic.
The M-Select DRY waterproof membrane keeps your foot dry, with a comfortable fit and plenty of support in the midsole.
- Waterproof PU coated leather upper
- Virbac TC5+ outsole for superior traction
- M-Select DRY waterproof membrane
- Bellows tongue for secure fit and debris protection
- Durable side zip for a snug fit
- Comes in two colors
Under Armour Men’s Infil Ops
Under Armor is a leading brand in the fitness industry. However, over recent years UA is expanding into other product ranges other than gym wear. These tactical boots are an excellent example of everything you need in a functional and comfortable design.
You get a 10-inch ankle height for superior protection from snake bites and ankle injuries. The exterior features design with GORE-TEX material for a lightweight and waterproof fabric that wicks moisture away from your feet.
These tactical boots come with a 100$ leather upper for extra support and a speed lacing system. The anatomical design of the sole provides excellent traction, with spurs for climbing fences.
These tactical boots are an excellent choice for law enforcement officers or military specs ops – and they will surely suit your prepping needs.
- Stylish design
- High abrasion-resistant textile upper
- Goretex material for breathability and water resistance
- 100% leather design and construction
- Anafoam overlay for comfort and moisture-wicking
- Anatomically molded sole
- Molded rubber toes cap for protection
Bufferzone 9″ Tan Military-Style Tactical Boot
For those preppers that want a military-style tactical boot they can trust, you can rely on this Bufferzone model. These tactical boots feature a suede leather finish in desert tan for an authentic military look.
You get a 9-inch ankle length for superior support and protection, as well as a gusseted tongue to keep water and debris out of your boots. The speed lacing design and side zip with Velcro fastener make putting on and taking off these boots a breeze.
If you’re looking for an affordable and effective pair of tactical boots, these offer you the best value in this review. The non-slip sole features deep tread grooves for traction and fence climbing. Every pair of these limitary-style tactical boots comes with a 6-month warranty.
- Classic military design
- Suede leather upper
- Desert tan military look
- Sise zipper with Velcro strap
- Gusseted tongue for ankle protection
- Nylon liner for moisture wicking
- Six-month warranty
5.11 Tactical Men’s ATAC 2.0 8″ Tactical Boots
5.11 is another premium tactical brand producing excellent military and tactical gear. These tactical boots are a great choice for preppers and law enforcement.
You get a lightweight design, featuring the patented Ortholite mid-sole system for extra comfort during use.
The synthetic non-slip sole makes the boots a great choice for wet weather conditions, and you get a side zipper with speed lacing for fast and easy fitment. The sides of these boots feature a hidden knife pocket for added utility, and you get an 8-inch ankle height with a watertight cuff.
These 5.11 tactical boots are a great choice for law enforcement officers and preppers looking for urban combat boots with excellent durability and reliability.
- Hybrid leather and textile construction
- Synthetic non-slip sole
- 8″ ankle height with waterproof cuff
- Ortholite Lazy recovery foam for a comfortable fit
- Hidden knife pocket
- Side zipper with Velcro cuff
5.11 Men’s Speed 3.0 Jungle Tactical Boot
5.11 get another honorable mention in this review for its jungle tactical boot. The sole is the most impressive feature on this boot.
This model features a moisture-wicking liner with added mid-sole support. However, the interesting aspect is the durable, non-slip outsole. It has side lugs to help you with climbing fences, and the excellent traction makes this our top choice for a wet-weather boot.
You get rapid-drying nylon vamp side panels, featuring a waterproof design. These boots feature a design with suede and nylon, giving you a lightweight, breathable tactical boot.
- Hybrid design with suede and nylon
- Available in two colors
- Rapid-dry nylon liner with moisture-wicking
- Sole features forefoot lugs for fence climbing
- Lightweight sole
- ATAC footbed for shock absorption and comfort
Under Armor Valsetz Military Tactical Boot
Under Armor get another mention in this review for this work boot-style tactical boot. The hybrid design is a great choice for preppers and law enforcement officers that find themselves doing plenty of running on the job.
These UA tactical boots feature a 100% synthetic design, with superior water protection. The low-ankle design gives you plenty of movement and a full range-of-motion in your ankles. The gusseted tongue keeps moisture and debris out of your boots, while the form-fitting sole provides explosive support when running.
We like the non-slip sole, offering traction on wet surfaces, with a speed lacing system on the ankle for added stability when running and turning. The “ClutchFit” technology on the ankle provides a lightweight, second-skin for excellent support.
- 100% synthetic material design
- Rubber sole with excellent traction
- Cross-design with work boot features
- A welded abrasion-resistant film around the ankle collar
- Suitable for urban tactical requirements
- Micro-G foam for shock absorption
- Available in two colors
Bates 8″ Ultralite Tactical Military Boot
This Bates UltraLite military work boot is a top choice for security guards and law enforcement officers looking for a tough, durable work boot. The tactical design of these boots features an 8-inch ankle height for added support.
The ankle collar gives you a watertight seal with a speed lacing design and side zippers for easy fitment. The Bates DRYGuard membrane wicks away moisture from your feet while preventing rain from penetrating the boot.
You get a lightweight sole, with a hybrid leather and nylon upper. These boots come in a choice of two colors, with black for tactical, and desert tan for military-spec.
- 8″ protective height
- Hybrid leather and nylon design
- Side zipper for easy fitment
- Proprietary design with Bates DRYGuard membrane
- Lightweight sole
- Moisture-wicking lining
- Available in two colors
Fila Stormer Military Tactical Boot
These Fila Stormer tactical boots are a rugged and reliable choice. You get an 8.25-inch ankle length, with hybrid nylon and leather upper. The ankle seals prevent debris and water from entering the boot, and you get excellent support for your ankles when traversing any terrain.
These boots feature an EVO mid-sole for comfort and support, as well as a moisture-wicking lining to keep your feet dry. These boots feature a high-traction treaded sole for excellent grip in wet weather. The speed lacing system and the side zipper makes it easy to put on these boots in seconds, with the Fila footbed providing a comfortable fit.
You get a tactical design suitable for law enforcement, general survivalist use, and urban combat. The mesh tongue provides optimal airflow through the boot, reducing sweating to prevent blistering and discomfort.
- Fila footbed for comfort
- Specially developed EVA sole for shock absorption
- 8.25″ ankle length with waterproof cuff
- Speed lacing
- Lightweight rubber sole
NORTIV 8″ Tactical Boots
These Nortiv work boot-style tactical boots are a great choice for security officers and law enforcement.
You get superior protection for your feet and top-quality design with leather and nylon materials. The ankle collar on this model comes with a watertight seal and an 8-inch height.
You get a breathable mesh tongue to increase airflow in the boot, and the moisture-wicking liner keeps your feet dry. These tactical boots come with a non-slip sole and protective toe cap to prevent injury to your toes if you drop anything on your feet.
These tactical boots feature a side zipper and speed lacing system for convenient fitment, and you get a choice of colors and leather/nylon finishes, including suede options.
- Breathable mesh tongue fabric with moisture wicking
- Genuine leather upper
- Removable, flexible foam
- EVA midsole
- Toe protection included
- Rugged rubber outsole for traction
- Available in different colors and finishes
CQR Tactical Boots
If you’re looking for boots that feel like shoes, this tactical CQR model is a great choice for EDC use and prep gear. If you’re a security officer or law enforcement agent, these boots are a top choice for maneuverability and range-of-motion in your ankle.
You get a lightweight rubber sole with tread for traction, and extra smooth padding on the sides of the boot, with mesh for breathability. The side zip with Velcro strap and speed lacing system makes for a convenient and fast fitment.
You get a choice for several color and material combinations to suit your environmental requirements and pull handles on the rear for easy fitment.
- Hybrid design between athletics and work boot
- Excellent shock absorption
- Speed lace system
- Padded insoles for comfort
- Rubber sole with good traction
- Multiple colors available
Other Best Selling Options
- You? Afraid of a little water? Not in these boots. Built to handle harsh, wet environments, our Speed 3.0 are accelerated versions of the A.T.A.C.Boot.
- Featuring medial & lateral drainage/side vents and innovative rapid-dry technology, they absorb less water and dry faster than traditional boots.
- Built with 5.11’s newly developed Speed cupsole platform for comfort and stability, forefoot lugs, a fence-climbing toe, and oil-and slip-resistant multi-terrain tread, these boots deliver the traction and support you’ll need in wet conditions.
- An Agion odor-control treatment and OrthoLite insole enhance comfort and security. Welcome to lightweight, breathable, moisture-wicking perfection for work, the range, or just kicking around. Imported.
- Developed with quality in mind, 5.11 Tactical offers a wide range of products that includes shirts, pants, bags, accessories, and more. Defining their brand through challenge and fortitude, 5.11 promises readiness beyond limits.
- Perfect Outdoor Boots: Made from 100% Fabric or Textile with a leather sole that measures approximately 1.5 inches"
- Lightweight, Durable Men's Boots: Wear as work boots, tactical boots, or even for hunting, hiking and construction
- Full Support During Use: UA ClutchFit ankle support system contours & supports
- Men's Military & Tactical Boots: Thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) toe cap for added protection
- Long-Lasting, Resistant Boots: These Under Armour boots for men have a welded polyurethane (PU) film that surrounds the perimeter for abrasion resistance
- Leather toe cap and heel cup
- Injection molded EVA midsole
- Cushioning insole board
- Rubber non-slip outsole
- Nylon coated, fast lace loops
- UA Storm gear uses a DWR finish to repel water without sacrificing breathability
- Leather & 9D nylon textile combine for a soft & light upper
- Medial side zipper for ease of entry
- Quick dry minimalist design with polishable toe
- Molded EVA midsole with reinforced TPU shank for protection & support
- Lightweight, durable synthetic leather & updated textile upper
- Medial side zip for ease of entry
- UA ClutchFit ankle support system contours & provides supports where you need it most
- TPU toe cap for added protection
- Welded PU film surrounds the perimeter of the boot for abrasion resistance
Tactical Boots Buyer’s Guide
After reading through the best tactical boots’ reviews, you probably have a few options in mind. In this section, we’ll unpack the features and function of tactical boots to help you settle on a pair.
Choosing a pair of boots is an important decision. They’ll be with you in all types of conditions in the coming years. Make sure you select a pair that’s functional, comfortable, and within your budget.
What are the Top Features to Look for In Tactical Boots?
When purchasing a pair of tactical boots, you’ll need to keep three important points in mind. Make sure your boots adhere to the following criteria.
- Modern Tactical Boots are Lightweight and form-Fitting – Modern tactical boots have design and construction with modern tactical conditions in mind. Therefore, they feature an ergonomic, form-fitting design with lightweight materials. Choose a set of tactical boots that feel comfortable, acting as an extension of your feet.
- Tactical Boots Give You Superior Traction – Modern tactical boots come with specially designed soles for use in all weather condit0ons. You don’t have to worry about slipping, and some models come with lugs and spurs to assist with tasks like climbing fences.
- Tactical Boots are Protective and Comfortable – Tactical boots feature design and construction with durable, supportive, and comfortable materials. The high ankle collars and durable leather uppers make them the best choice for protecting your feet in the field.
When searching for the best tactical boots., look for the following features in your footwear.
- Uppers – Look for materials like nylon and leather in the construction of your uppers. These materials provide protection and water resistance.
- Materials – Materials like GORE-TEX and other moisture-wicking fabrics are essential to keep your feet dry on operations.
- Sole – The sole of your tactical boots needs to feature a tough, durable rubber material. This material provides a harder finish than military combat boots. However, it gives a good middle ground between functionality and durability.
- Outsole – The outsole of your tactical boots is important. If you need to kick in self-defense, you need a durable outsole. Harder outsoles wear slowly, giving you more service life out of your tactical boots. Some outsoles feature spurs and lugs to assist you with climbing fences when chasing suspects or fleeing mobs.
- Lacing Systems – Most tactical boots come with a dual lacing system. The lower part of the boot features the traditional eyelet loop for secure lacing. However, the ankle collar might feature a speed lacing system combining with a side zipper for easy removal and fitment of your boots.
- Side Zippers – As mentioned, side zippers help you when taking your boots off or putting them on. Look for models that include a Velcro collar to secure the zip and prevent it from falling when you.
- Tongues – Look for tactical boots with gusseted tongues. This design helps to create airflow through the boot while creating a watertight seal around the ankle collar. The gusset also prevents gravel and other debris from getting into your boot.
- Ankle Collar Length – Choose the right ankle collar length to meet your needs. Most tactical boots come with collar lengths between 8-inches to 10-inches. The longer the collar, the more support and protection for your ankles.
- Ankle Collar Seals – An ankle collar seal gives a watertight fit to your boots, keeping your feet dry in wet conditions.
- Extra Features – Some models come with side pockets for small knives – a handy accessory for law enforcement officers and security personnel.
How Do I Check if My Tactical Boots Fit Properly?
Follow these tips to get the perfect fir from your new tactical boots.
- Try your tactical boots later in the day. During the day, our feet swell. If you try the boots on in the morning, they fit not fit in the afternoon.
- When trying on your boots, make sure you use the socks you intend to use when wearing the boots. Thick wool socks are best, so make sure you accommodate for this space.
- Put your feet into the boots, and make sure that nothing feels too tight before lacing up.
- After lacing up, makes sure you don’t feel any grommets digging into your feet.
- Take your first walk in your new boots. Check to see if your feet rub on the sides or if the heel feels loose.
What are the Common Fitment Issues with Tactical Boots?
- You might notice a slight pressure on the sides of your feet.
- If your toes touch the front, you’ll start to feel cramped when walking, leading to a condition known as “hammertoes.”
- Make sure your heel doesn’t slip in the back. If it does, you’re going to wind up with tendonitis in the ligament.
- Feel for pressure on your instep that feels uncomfortable.
You can fix problems with light pressure on your feet by breaking in your boots. If your heel feels slightly loose, tighten down the laces, and the problem should go away.
What are the Types of Tactical Boots?
There are four types of tactical boots. Choose the right boots to match your climate conditions and needs.
What are Standard Tactical Boots?
Standard tactical boots are the most common type. They feature ankle collars between eight to ten inches, and they hide your socks. They feature design with leather and nylon materials and typically come in black color options.
What are Desert Tactical Boots?
These boots feature design and construction for use in demanding environmental conditions in the Middle East. These boots are common in the US Armed Forces. They provide troops with protection for their feet while improving airflow inside thew boot.
The high-ankle collar and durable materials provide protection and support for the ankles. Typically, these boots feature design with breathable fabrics to optimize airflow around your foot. As a result, your feet sweat less, resulting in more comfortable user experience.
Desert boots come in a light tan color, also referred to as desert-tan or coyote brown.
What are Jungle Tactical Boots?
Jungle tactical boots feature design and construction for use in humid and wet environments. Jungle boots aren’t waterproof. Instead, they focus on wicking the moisture away from your feet to keep you comfortable.
It’s impossible to keep your feet dry in the jungle, and using waterproof boots results in the onset of bacteria or fungal conditions like foot rot. These boots feature design with nylon and GORE-TEX materials, ensuring you get optimal airflow to your feet.
What are Cold Weather Tactical Boots?
When the temperature drops and the mercury goes below freezing, you’re going to need tactical boots to meet the climate conditions. Cold weather tactical boots feature enhanced grip on the sole for better traction in wet weather, snow, and ice.
Cold weather boots come with a waterproof lining and moisture-wicking materials, keeping your feet dry in deep snow. Cold weather models typically have more insulation than the others, offering your feet more warmth in the cold.
Tactical Boot FAQs
Why do Green Berets wear high-top tactical boots?
Green Berets and Army Rangers prefer wearing tactical boots with long ankle collars. The additional collar length provides more support when moving quickly across the terrain.
The longer design also protects the ankles from objects and bites. The ankle is home to plenty of nerves and ligaments, and twisting an ankle will slow down the team.
Do US Marines wear black tactical boots?
Marines choose attire and gear with no branding or insignia on the exterior of the boot. Marines, Army, and Air force would issue black boots to recruits circa 2002.
However, from 2003 onwards, the US Armed Forces would move to a standardized desert tan color for all its gear. This type of camouflage, known as the “MARPAT,” is now the Army, Air force, and Marines benchmark standard.
What’s the difference between combat and tactical boots?
Tactical boots come with a leather upper and lace-up past your ankles for additional support. They typically feature thinner materials, allowing for better range-of-motion in the ankle when running and climbing.
Combat boots feature a mid-sole and outsole, with softer materials in the sole compared to tactical boots. The softer design limits noise in the field, preventing targets from hearing approaching operators.
Where do I buy the best tactical boots?
If you’re looking for the best place to buy your tactical boots online – we recommend going with Amazon. Amazon has the best range from all the top brands, with the best prices on all models.
If you’re a Prime member, you get access to fast, free shipping directly to your doorstep and buyer protection on your order. Amazon offers hassle-free returns and the best customer service.
Tactical Boots – The Verdict
By now, you should have your eye on a few pairs of tactical boots you think to suit your needs. Check the styling and design components of your prospective tactical boots, and match them to your requirements in the field.
Whether you’re a survivalist, military operator, or an average prepper – there’s a pair of tactical boots in this review to suit your needs and your budget. If you’re having an issue with settling on a pair, why no go with our top picks?
The Merrell Moab 2 8″ Tactical boots are a top choice for any operating environment. Merrel is a premium men’s footwear brand, producing shoes and boots for hiking, climbing, EDC, and outdoor activities. These boots come with excellent design features and premium materials, making them the best overall option in this review.
The Under Armor Men’s Infill Ops is the best premium choice for a pair of tactical boots. If you demand the best performance in demanding conditions, these boots are for you. Featuring a leather design with GORE-TEX, these boots stay dry and wick moisture away from your feet. You get an ergonomic sole with excellent traction and a 10-inch ankle collar for unmatched support.
The Bufferzone 9″ Tan Military-Style Tactical Boot is our top choice for the best budget tactical boots in this review. You get an authentic desert tan color with a suede leather finish. The durable non-slip sole has deep grooves for climbing fences, and you get a moisture-wicking, padded midsole and liner for support and comfort.