18650 flashlights are essential pieces of equipment for home defense and illumination in low-light conditions. These torches come in various design configurations, with dozens of brands offering models in multiple sizes and outputs.
If you’re a handgun owner, an 18650 is a critical part of your everyday carry setup (EDC). It’s suitable for home defense situations to illuminate and distract a target while you mount an offense.
Most models clip into a tactical housing that works on Picatinny rails on your firearm.
An 18650 can go places where firearms can’t. If you live in a country where laws restrict what you can carry in self-defense, then a tactical-style flashlight is an excellent alternate weapon if you can carry a firearm or knife.
Some models feature beveled ridges along the rim of the head of the flashlight. These ridges are especially useful in hand-combat situations. However, be aware that the TSA sees it as a weapon and won’t allow it on flights.
When you’re at home or walking in low-lit urban areas, a flashlight can help you identify threats from attackers hiding in the darkness. Some models come with different modes allowing for strobe effects and other tactical options that distract your attacker. In confusion, you have an opportunity to strike.
In the best 18650 flashlight reviews, we’ll unpack everything you need to know about the top models.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 18650 Flashlight Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 18650 Flashlight Buyer’s Guide
- 4.1 What Do I Look for in a 18650 Tactical Flashlight?
- 4.2 Start with Your Budget
- 4.3 Water-Resistant Rating
- 4.4 Shape, Design, Style, and Size
- 4.5 Build Quality and Durability
- 4.6 Lumen Output
- 4.7 Battery Life
- 4.8 Flashlight Modes
- 4.9 Zoom and Lighting Features
- 4.10 Magnetic Positioning Base
- 4.11 Firearm Picatinny Rail Attachment
- 5 How Do I Use a Tactical Flashlight When I’m Unarmed?
- 6 How Do I Hold a Flashlight When I’m Using a Gun?
- 7 Reasons to Carry a Flashlight with You Every Day
- 8 18650 Flashlight FAQs
- 9 The Verdict
If you want to skip right to the good stuff and save some time, here are our top picks for the best 18650 flashlights. Chose the model that suits your budget and your needs from a tactical torch.
Best Pick: Fenix TK22UE Ultimate Edition
- ULTIMATE TACTICAL FLASHLIGHT - Fenix TK22UE has a 1600 lumen max output and beam throw over 443 yards. The steel impact bezel, has tungsten inlay window breakers.
- HIGH CAPACITY RECHARGEABLE BATTERY - Included is a USB C rechargeable 5000mAh 21700 battery with cable, 2+ hours on Turbo.
- SIMPLE TO OPERATE - with a tactical tail switch capable of momentary-on and constant-on, and side switch for four brightness levels and instant strobe.
- ALL-WEATHER CAPABLE - Durable all metal construction that is IP68 waterproof and impact resistant. Can tolerate temperatures of -31 to 113 degrees F.
- TK22UE ULTIMATE EDITION STARTER KIT - this bundle comes with the new TK22UE with its tungsten inlay bezel, USB C rechargeable battery, charging cable, and a LumenTac battery case.
This model makes a fantastic tactical flashlight with plenty of functionality. Use it for EDC-defense, home-defense, rifle mount, and even take it camping. You get a rear tactical mode switch, USB-Type C interface, and 5,000-mAh capacity. Overall, this model is the best option in this review.
Premium Pick: SureFire Fury Intellibeam
- DUAL FUEL - This versatile pocket-sized searchlight can be powered by either two 123A lithium batteries or a single economical 18650 lithium-ion rechargeable battery.
- HIGH LUMENS - The Fury Intellibeam has a light output of 15-1500 lumens with the 18650 lithium-ion rechargeable battery or a light output of 15-1100 lumens with two 123A lithium batteries.
- INTELLIBEAM TECHNOLOGY - Automatically and seamlessly adjusts light output depending on environmental conditions, as the flashlight uses a sensor and microprocessor to evaluate a given scene and adjust light output accordingly. This system can be overridden to activate the max output.
- LONG RUNTIME & DURABLE - Its runtime is up to 40 hours long. The high-strength aerospace-aluminum body and tailcap are knurled for a secure grip and it is Mil-spec hard-anodized to resist abrasion and corrosion.
- PRECISION REFLECTOR - Produces smooth beam with a plenty of reach and surround light. BUNDLE with four SureFire CR123A batteries and a Lightjunction Battery Case.
The SureFire 1,500-lumen intellibeam model is the winner of the best premium flashlight in this review. You get up to 40-hrs of battery life, and a rear tail cap switch system for tactical operations. The beveled rim is suitable for defense situations, and the durable design is easy to grip in your hands. IT comes with USB charging for user-friendly operation.
Budget Pick: Sofirn SP32A
- Bright and Reliable: Features Cree XPL2 LED delivers max 1300 lumens, extremely bright for daily use or outdoor activities. With upgraded inner design, SP32A V2.0 passed 12 different tests, makes it a more reliable friend in your pocket/backpack/car.
- Two Groups UI: group 1 is 6 Modes Eco-Low-Mid-High-Turbo(Hidden)-Strobe(Hidden) and group 2 is ramping up and down. Perfect for daily use like dog walking, finding keys, outdoor use like camping hiking boating cycling etc.
- Smarter Design: With power Indicator, Green light means enough juice and flashing Red light reminds you to replace battery. Over-heat Protection protects the flashlight from over heat for better using experiences.
- Compact Design: With stainless steel clip and anti-slip anodized finish, this flashlight holds fast in your hand or stands on tail as an emergency lamp or candle.
- WHAT YOU GET: Sofirn SP32A V2.0 flashlight, 18650 3000mAh battery (sealed in the light), Micro USB cable, USB charging slot, and worry-free 18-month warranty and friendly customer service.
If you’re looking for the best budget 18650, then this model is your best option. With the Sofirn, you get all the functionality of torches that cost much more. This model has a slimline profile, and it’s suitable for firearms applications. We couldn’t find anyone that has issues with quality or reliability online.
18650 Flashlight Reviews
Now that you know the best 18650 models available, let’s unpack them in further detail. We’ll also look at some other contenders for the best 18650 flashlights. Make sure you check out our buyer’s guide and FAQ later in this review.
Fenix TK22UE Ultimate Edition – The Best Overall 18650 Flashlight
The best part about carrying your 18650 is the high-power beam you get in a compact flashlight, with multi-use functionality. With theFenix TK22, you get a potent 1,600-lumen flashlight with a tungsten toothed beveled edges for combat and rescue functionality.
The throw of this torch is an astounding 1,300+ feet, with a tactical tail switch and strobe function. The durable tungsten toothed bevel of the flashlight can break vehicle glass in rescue scenarios and makes a formidable striking weapon in hand-to-hand combat.
With this model, you get a high-capacity rechargeable 5,000-mAh lithium-ion battery pack. The flashlight charges on USB-C function, with fast recharging times. The Fenix is all-weather ready, with a water-resistance IPX68 rating ensuring you have an operational flashlight in all-weather scenarios.
The Fenix wins our top overall 18650 flashlights in this review. It’s over $100 for this model, but the quality is there. We like the sleek design and the way it clips onto the belt. The sloping head design gives you outstanding and control over the striker tip in the reverse handgrip position.
The torch comes with a durable nylon side pouch, and a belt clip included.
- IP68 water-resistant rating
- USB Type-C recharge
- Defense bevel design
- Belt clip and lanyard included
- Premium Price
- Not Suitable for mounting on hand guns
SureFire Fury Intellibeam – The Best Premium 18650 FlashlightThis model follows a similar design theme to Fenix, with a sloped and contoured design in the dead of the flashlight, with large cutouts to enhance your grip in the reverse position.
The tungsten tip of the torch acts as a durable self-defense weapon. With the right hammer action, the flashlight can be useful in breaking glass during a rescue operation. With cross-hatching in the grip, you’ll find it easy to hang onto this torch, even when wearing tactical gloves.
You get a sizeable tactical click-button in the hilt, allowing you to switch between modes, with strobe function included in this model.
The flashlight runs of rechargeable lithium-ion battery packs included with the torch. However, you can run it off CR123A cells as well. The most impressive feature about this 18650 flashlight is the “IntelliBeam technology.” This smart lighting system sets it apart from all the other models in this review.
The IntelliBeam tech senses your surroundings, adjusting the beam to suit the conditions. When using the torch indoors, the flashlight automatically detects the confinement in the room, reducing output by as much as 15% to prevent a washout.
This model works well as a tactical model for your rifle. The precision reflector helps identify your target instantly. The high-power flashlight can blind your assailant, leaving you time to counter-attack or flee.
You get full water and weather resistance for this torch with an IPX68 rating.
- High-quality design with IP68 weatherproof rating
- Excellent grip for use with tactical gloves
- IntelliBeam technology for automatic light management
- Robust and durable LED emitter
- USB-C rechargeable battery
- Premium Price
- No Lanyard fitting
Sofirn SP32A – The Best Budget 18650 FlashlightThe Sofirn is the ideal choice for anyone looking for a budget buy 18650 flashlights. This model has everything you need in a 18650, including a tactical click-switch on the rear of the housing. The anodized belt clip makes storing and access of the torch easy and effortless.
You get a fine-textured cross-hatched grip on the torch’s barrel, with a compact design that makes it suitable as a spotting torch for some pistols. There’s plenty of functionality with this torch, including mid-low-high beams, and strobe function.
The system works on a lithium-ion battery, providing you with u-p to 2-hours run time on a single charge. You get an indicator system showing you the current battery status, and over-heat protection to prevent burnout when leaving the torch on and unattended.
The only gripe we have with this model is the lack of tactical tooting and no beveled front end. However, it’s a fantastic lightweight torch that’s suitable on your hip, handgun, or rifle.
- Surprisingly functional
- Very affordable
- Tactical click-switch on the hilt
- Belt clip included
- Comfortable grip
- USB rechargeable
- No beveled tactical frame
- 1,300-Lumen could be brighter
OLIGHT Baton Pro 2000
OLight has a reputation for making some of the best tactical torches in the game. They delivered with the Baton Pro model and were close to being the choice for the best overall flashlight in this review. If the Baton Pro included toothed beveling on the front of the torch, we think it would be the best tactical 18650 torches available.
However, the OLight Baton Pro is still a worthy contender, even without the tactical advantage of toothed beveling. The textured grip on this model resembles the stippling on some high-quality firearm grips, with a non-slip surface ideal for your bare hands or when using gloves.
You get a 3,500-mAh battery, which isn’t the highest capacity, but you’re in a trade-off with a more compact design. Despite the lower battery life than the SureFire, it still manages a crazy 2,000-Lumen high-power output.
Unlike most models that include the belt clip in the rear of the torch grip, the baton has it wrapped around the flashlight’s front collar. We like the anodized blue finishing on this model, giving it an attractive look.
- High-power 2,000-Lumen rating
- IPX8 water-resistant rating
- Reversible belt carry clip
- Magnetic tail cap and USB charger
- Comfortable grip
- Good choice for rifles
- No beveled tactical frame
- No rear tactical click-switch
For security personal and tactical professionals, we recommend investing in the new NITECORE P12. This model is an improvement on its predecessor, with 1,200-Lumens. This model is around 6-inches in length, making it an excellent choice for EDC or mounting on your rifle handguard using a Picatinny rail.
The NITECORE P12 comes with a 4,000-mAh lithium-ion battery pack, and the flashlight will provide an incredible 50-hours of light on low mode. This 18650 flashlight has the best functionality in this review, with low-mid-high settings, strobe, SOS, and beacon modes.
You get a tactical rear click-button in the tail and a metal side switch for easy use in both grip positions. The P12 includes a hard plastic holster for your belt, allowing for fast removal and holstering of the torch.
The front of the flashlight features a toothed bevel design on the rim. It makes an excellent tactical weapon for hand-to-hand situations.
- IPX8 water-resistant rating
- Tactical tail click-switch
- Beveled strike frame for CQC
- ATR functionality (Advanced Temperature Regulation)
- Good choice for a rail light on your rifle
- 1,200-Lumens is underperformance at this price
- No USB charging
ThruNite TC15The ThruNite TC15 comes as a kit with a durable nylon holster, micro-USB charging cable, battery pack, and lanyard. The OEM includes extra O-rings for the torch seals in the kit.
You get a complete water-resistant IPX68 rating with this model, as well as an astounding 2,300-Lumens of peak performance out of this flashlight.
The rechargeable 3,100-mAh battery gives you run times of up to 30-hours in low mode, with Firefly, mid-low-high, strobe, and turbo modes.
The design of this model features a solid frame with a unique grip. You get micro-USB charging functionality with this torch., allowing you to recharge using your powerbank when on trips.
There’s no striker cap on the front of the torch, meaning that it’s a better choice for your rifle than self-defense. However, the durable design is sure to keep your flashlight working properly for decades. You get an IPX8 waterproof rating with this model, and you can drop it in a pool without any issues.
- IPX8 water-resistant rating
- Built-in micro-USB charging
- Charging status indicator
- Suitable as a rifle light
- Multiple modes, including strobe
- No tactical bevel
LUMINTOP Rechargeable Tactical LED FlashlightThe LUMINTOP is an example of an affordable and functional 18650 flashlight. This model comes with an attractive and anodized finish available in three colors, with a contoured design. With a 3.6-inch body, this model may work in some pistol lighting setups.
You get an astounding 2,800-Lumens in peak-performance mode, with plenty of functionality including turbo, stepped ramp, lockout, muggle, momentary, strobe, and beacon modes. The Samsung rechargeable battery provides extended battery life in a compact design.
This 18650 model is a fantastic choice for camping. There’s no tactical toothed beveling on this model, meaning there are better options for home defense.
- IPX8 weather-resistant rating
- Compact and lightweight
- Suitable for firearms
- Rear click functionality
- No tactical bevel
Other Best Selling Options
- 【SUPER BRIGHT & PORTABLE】: WUBEN L50 is an EDC flashlight which utilizes a high-efficiency OSRAM P9 LED, max output is up to 1200 lumens, and max beam distance is up to 200 meters (656 ft). It’s so powerful but small and portable to carry. The size is 5.46in x 1.02in (L x D) and it only weighs 138g (4.87oz) with battery.
- 【5 LIGHTING MODES & MODE MEMORY FUNCTION】: WUBEN L50 has 4 basic modes: High/1200LM, Mid/400LM, Low/75LM, Eco/5LM; and 1 mode for emergency: SOS/200LM. There is mode memory function for the 4 basic modes. Every time it will be turned on the mode which it’s turned off last time.
- 【USB RECHARGEABLE & LONG-LASTING】: This led flashlight is powered by a rechargeable 2600mAh 18650 Li-ion battery (included) which helps save the battery cost and is very environmental friendly. It's also compatible with 2 CR123A batteries, a good choice as backup batteries for outdoors activities. It comes with a Micro-USB cable that can charge the flashlight directly. After fully charged, the flashlight can last about 1.5 hours on High mode (1200 lumens), and as long as 143 hours on Eco mode.
- 【TOUGH & SMART DESIGN】: WUBEN L50 is made of hard anodizing aircraft grade aluminum alloy, and is IP68 waterproof and dustproof, which make the flashlight more durable and tough. This flashlight has smart low power warning function to remind you to recharge it. When the battery power less than 30 minutes for the current mode, the flashlight will flash 3 times for every 5 minutes until the battery runs out. When the flashlight is charging, there is LED indicator for charging status.
- 【What you get】 All WUBEN Flashlights come with free return within 30 days, free repairing within 1 year, manufacturer's repairing within 5 Years and 24*7 hours customer service. We are keeping improving and upgrading the products, please refer to the specifications on the product page here when choosing. And we have red and blue batteries currently, they are same batteries, only different in color.
- 【Super Bright with 6 Modes】: WUBEN C3 is a new release EDC flashlight, which utilizes Germany OSRAM P9 LED, emits bright light up to 1200 lumens and reaches nearly 588 ft. Featured with 6 adaptable light modes: High / Medium / Low / Eco / Strobe / SOS, last as long as 143 hours (Eco).
- 【Type-C Fast Rechargeable】: WUBEN C3 can be simply recharged with the included Type-C cable and rechargeable 2600mAh 18650 battery, no extra batteries needed. This led flashlight is also compatible with 2pcs CR123A batteries, which can be as backup batteries for outdoors use or power shortage. There is battery power indication for the flashlight, let you know when to charge.
- 【Solid Build and Durable】: The flashlight body is made of hard anodizing aircraft grade 6063 aluminum alloy, its IP68 water-resistance and 1.5 meters impact resistance make the flashlight endure rough handling.
- 【Best for Every Day Carry】: The flashlight is 4.78in in length, weighs 4.34oz with battery, its pocket size makes it great for every day carry flashlight. The pocket clip and lanyard of the flashlight make it very convenient to carry with you.
- 【What You Get】: WUBEN C3 flashlight, 2600mAh 18650 rechargeable battery, Type-C charging cable, lanyard, spare waterproof rings, user manual, and our worry-free 24-months warranty and friendly customer service. There are two different packages for this product to be shipped randomly, both are authentic, if any question here, please feel free to contact us for help, thank you.
- Durability, Made of Military Grade Aluminum, works well in any conditions.
- Resistant, water and shock resistant, can be used in the rain, snow situation.
- Arrangement & Zoomable: 5 Mode High / Middle / Low / Flash / Strobe , zoom by pulling the head of the flashlight.
- Smart Charger: Fit for 18650/18490/17670/17600/16340/14500/ Rechargeable Lithium Batteries; The indicator light on charger is red when the battery is charging and is green when charge fully.
- Tactical, solid build and practical design makes it a perfect for camping, fishing, hunting or dog walking. Its size conveniently fits in your bag, purse, or handbag.
- Brightness & Durability: High powered, high lumen led chip delivers so much light for all purposes - both indoor and outdoor. Flashlight body made of aluminium alloy for durability and robustness.
- Mode Arrangement: Hi > Mid >Lo > Strobe >SOS(With a slight press of the power button changes the operating mode.)
- Power Supply: 2 x 18650 rechargeable battery (Included), Led Lifespan: 100,000 hours, Size:7.6inchx1.37inch, it is 8.46inch extend the head.
- Skid-proof design & waterproof design led bulbs(Not for Diving), producing super bright light Perfect for cycling, climbing, camping and outdoor activity etc
- Range: sweeps bright light over the length of about two football fields ( 300 m) and reaches nearly 1000 ft. Fully zoomable from wide to narrow beam.
- [High Lumens Flashlight with 18650 Battery]--High Lumen flashlight LED Bulb provides bright light, With one simple touch, this flash light will deliver a powerful beam where you need it. Use the adjustable zoom to focus in on faraway objects or zoom out to light up a wide area. easily light up an entire room or focus in on objects up to 1000 feet away! Intense spotlight for long range observation.
- [5 Light Modes]--Gaslen LED Tactical flashlight supports five switchable modes, High / Medium / Low / Strobe / SOS. A full-press to switch on and off and a half-press to cycle through lighting modes, 5 settings replace the need for multiple flashlights makes for a practical addition to any household or emergency kit.Adjustable focus.
- [Small and Portable]--The LED flashlight has a portable mini size. Ideal for night riding, walking the dog, hiking or camping. fits very well in your hand, pocket, backpack and purse allowing for easy storage and quick access. you can count on this light during power outages, roadside repairs, and safety emergencies.
- [Repeatable fast charging and durable]--Gaslen LED Tactical flashlight Support standard 18650 battery or AAA battery( AAA battery is not included) and Battery Charger.We offer 1pcs 5800mAh rechargeable battery,the power is 2 times higher than ordinary ones. You can use the charger to charge the battery repeatedly, so you don’t have to worry about running out of battery.
- YOU WILL GET: 1 Super Bright Tactical LED Flashlight, 1 Rechargeable Battery and Sleeve, 1 Battery Charger, 1 Case, 1 AAA Battery Holder (Suitable As A Present/Gift)
18650 Flashlight Buyer’s Guide
The 18650 is a common flashlight used in EDC or tactical defense situations. Some models attach to firearms using the Picatinny rail system, and it’s a popular choice for AR-owners. The 18650 is a bit large for pistol attachments, but there are a few slimline models that work.
18650s don’t have to be for tactical use, they also make excellent emergency torches for the car, and they have plenty of duties around the campsite.
In this buyer’s guide section, we’ll give you everything you need to know to ensure you purchase the right flashlight for your home-defense or EDC needs.
What Do I Look for in a 18650 Tactical Flashlight?
With so many models available, we narrowed down our choices to the seven in this review. There’s a 18650 flashlight in our options to suit any application and any price range. So, how do you decide on the right torch?
Start with Your Budget
Your budget should be the defining point of your purchase. Stick to your budget, because it’s easy to overspend with one of these devices. On the low end of the spectrum, you can get a torch for less than $40, while the top models are well over $100.
However, if the price is important to you, then look for a model with the right price tag and functionality you can afford. The right tactical 18650 flashlights will last you for decades, so bear that in mind when purchasing your torch.
If you’re using your torch for home-defense, then this might not be a priority for you. However, if you plan on taking your torch camping, or to the tactical range, water-resistance is an important feature of your 18650 flashlights.
During a camping trip, you’ll swim in lakes or rivers, hiking in rainstorms, and all sorts of wet weather conditions. You need a torch that’s robust and durable, providing you with a weatherproof operation.
Most 18650s come with an IPX6 rating or better. Look for an IPX8 rating for total water resistance for your torch.
Shape, Design, Style, and Size
Whether you’re in a self-defense situation or on the campsite, you need a lightweight and compact torch. A 18650 has a small chassis, but powerful light beam. Most of these torches can throw light up to half a mile or more while remaining small enough to fit your hand.
Carrying a bulky torch is frustrating, and a waste of space in your daypack or gear bag. 18650s come with a lightweight design and belt clips, allowing you to attach them to your holster or belt. Look for models under 5-inches in length if you want a pocket torch that fits a standard-sized pistol.
The torch’s design matters and we like models with cross-hatched grips etched into the barrel-frame of the flashlight. These grips provide the best traction when wearing tactical gloves. If you want a 18650 for home defense, we recommend a model with a bevel at the front. The bevel makes it a striking weapon suitable for home defense situations.
Build Quality and Durability
Over the years of use, you’ll end up dropping your flashlight a considerable number of times. The chassis and internals of the torch need to hold up to rugged use, and the 18650 is an excellent example of such a device.
Look for models that feature steel or aluminum chassis, with reinforced materials that last a lifetime. Look for corrosion-resistant coatings that provide a long service life for your torch. The last thing you want is rust forming on the battery cap and light housing.
The Lumen count of your 18650 torches describes the brightness of the light. With a 18650, you want a minimum of 1,200-Lumens. However, some powerful models are offering over 2,200-Lumens. High-power models are ideal for Close Quarters Combat (CQC) scenarios in the home.
The light from a high-power torch can easily blind and confuse your attacker, giving you an advantage that could save your life. Lumen output is more critical for camping as well. The higher the Lumen count, the broader and further the throw of the torch.
18650s rely on battery power for operation. We recommend looking for a model that offers a lithium-ion battery back. Lithium-ion batteries give you the longest run time for your torch. If you’re a survivalist, then the added torch time per charge is super beneficial when you’re out in the woods for days.
Lithium-ion batteries also include USB-charging capability. Most models come with micro-USB charging, but a few have USB-C functionality. Charge the torch right from your power bank at the campsite and let there be light!
Battery service life might last between 5 and 10-years on lithium-ion packs, giving you plenty of successful recharges. However, eventually, the batteries will fail and require replacement.
Regular flashlights might have a few different brightness modes, but most are pretty straightforward with the operation. However, with a 18650, you get a bunch of tactical light modes included with your model.
Some have strobing for tactical situations, allowing you to blind and confuse your attacker. Some people say they don’t like using torches on firearms because it gives people a target to shoot. However, with a strobe 18650, you can distract and confuse your attacker, making it hard for them to lock in on your position.
Along with the strobe mode, your torch will offer different brightness modes to suit your application. For instance, the high-beams are suitable for walking trails at night, while the low beam suits use around the campsite.
Some flashlights include functionality that repeats SOS in Morse code for survival rescue situations. This type of feature can save your life in an emergency, alerting people to your location.
Zoom and Lighting Features
Look for models that include zoom and focus functionality with the light throw. Some models allow you to twist the head of the torch, expanding or narrowing the light beam. This function is excellent for providing incandescent light in rooms and inside tents.
Magnetic Positioning Base
If you need to light up a workspace, a magnetic base can provide the torch’s hands-free operation. 18650s with magnetic bases come in handy around workshops and vehicles.
Firearm Picatinny Rail Attachment
The Picatinny rail system on rifles and pistols allows you to attach torch housings to your weapons platforms. The 18650 is a professional and effective lighting system for rifle platforms, and there are a few models that are good for use on pistols as well.
How Do I Use a Tactical Flashlight When I’m Unarmed?
If you don’t own a firearm, a torch makes for an excellent self-defense weapon in a crisis. If it’s in the evening, you can blind your attacker with the light. We recommend using the strobe function on the torch if you have it.
The strobe function doesn’t give the attackers eyes time to adjust to the lighting effect. You’ll have a small window to launch a counter-attack and damage them with the tactical bevel on the front of the flashlight housing.
When shining the light at your attacker, it’s important to aim it at the eyes to dominate the vision. If you have the option, use the blinding to flee, as it might take time to recover their bearings and let the retinas settle.
However, it’s not as easy in the daytime. In the daytime, your flashlight will give you access to a striking weapon you can use in a fight or self-defense situation.
Use the hard beveled edge of the torch to strike your attacker in the eye socket, temple, or behind the ear. All these points will result in a knockout or resistance to the idea of pursuing the assault against you.
How Do I Hold a Flashlight When I’m Using a Gun?
Many Americans own firearms. However, very few take on the responsibility of firearm ownership and maintain the training they need to learn how to handle the gun. If you have a firearm, you should be adhering to the four golden rules of firearms ownership and know how to clear a firearm.
When you have that down, make sure you go for some tactical training lessons. A professional can show you how to shoot in pressure situations. After learning the basics, you’ll need to drill them every month to ensure that you have the necessary muscle memory to pull it off in a self-defense situation.
A torch is a vital part of any firearms owner’s kit. If you use a pistol or rifle for self-defense at home, then a flashlight is a must-have accessory for your weapons platform.
Rifles typically feature Picatinny rails allowing for the easy attachment of items like 18650 flashlights. There are a variety of mounting positions on the front grip pf the rifle for your torch. Some handguns, such as the CZ P10c, accommodate smaller-style 18650s for the front rail.
However, if you have a larger model of 18650 flashlights, you’ll have to learn how to handle the torch and your firearm at the same time. To achieve this, you need to master the cross-grip. With this grip, you place your flashlight in the reverse grip in your hand and cross it under your gun’s drive hand.
This is not a safe firing position, and you could end up missing your target. We recommend that you look for models that fit the frame ort slide of your firearm for safe and accurate shooting.
Reasons to Carry a Flashlight with You Every Day
So, why would you want to carry a flashlight around with you every day? Do people even do that? Why would you need a flashlight in the middle of the day? Check out these three quick reasons to add a flashlight to your EDC routine.
Light Up a Blackout
You might find yourself at a location in the evening when the power fails. Sure, you could use your phone as a light, but a 18650 torch is far more effective.
A 18650 tactical torch acts as a less-lethal weapon in the hands of a properly trained individual. In self-defense situations, the toothed bevels on the flashlight act as a striking weapon. However, it’s essential to learn how to use the torch in a self-defense situation, so sign up for a few classes.
Legal to Carry in All States
You don’t need a license to carry a 18650 tactical torch with you wherever you go. The flashlight makes a substantial addition to your EDC setup, and clips right onto your belt line for easy access.
18650 Flashlight FAQs
What makes a 18650 Flashlight?
The 18650 flashlight gets its name from the 18-mm diameter, 65-mm length battery offering high lumen counts, larger capacity, and rechargeable function.
What kind of Lumen output do I need for home defense?
When it comes to home defense, you’re looking for lumens and functionality. Look for high lumen counts above 1,500. However, modes like strobing and a tactical bevel are also critical features for your home-defense 18650 flashlights.
What’s the purpose of a tactical flashlight?
Tactical flashlights have additional functionality compared to the average flashlight you see around the suburban home. The toothed striker bevel on the front of the torch helps break glass in emergencies and acts as a weapon in a self-defense situation.
What kind of range do you get with a 18650 flashlight?
The range on your 18650 flashlights is also known as the “throw.” Most models offering more than 1,200-lumens have a throw of up to 700-feet or more.
By now, you should have a good idea of the right 18650 flashlights to suit your needs. If you’re struggling with your decision, why not rely on your top picks? We’ll save you the hassle, just choose the right model for your budget and flashlight requirements.
The Fenix TK22UE Ultimate Edition 18650 is our top choice for the best overall model. This flashlight has it all – You get an attractive chassis with tactical bevel, 1,600-Lumens, and USB charging.
The SureFire Fury Intellibeam is the best premium model 18650 flashlight. With 1,500-Lumens, a tactical toothed bevel, reliable grips, and ItelliBeam technology, it’s the top choice for EDC and firearms owners.
If you want an affordable but functional 18650 flashlight, the Sofirn SP32A is hed a great choice. You get all the other models’ functionality in a compact design that’s an excellent choice for adding to your firearm lighting setup.