Carrying a small flashlight is an essential part of the kit for law enforcement, security, outdoor people, and even your average homeowner. Most people rely on their phones for a torch. While that’s ok, it drains your battery fast. With the flashlight on your phone, there’s a limitation on the performance you get.
If you want to light up your life, carry an EDC keychain flashlight. These torches fit onto your keychain or pocket, allowing you to have a handy source of light when walking back to your car in the dark. There’s plenty of useful tasks for an EDC keychain flashlight, and it’s better to have one on hand and not need one than need one and not have one.
In this review, we’ll look at the best keychain flashlight, and make recommendations on our top models. Check out our buyer’s guide and FAQ for useful information about choosing the right model for your lifestyle needs.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Keychain Flashlight Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Keychain Flashlight Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Keychain Flashlight FAQs
- 6 Keychain Flashlights – The Verdict
If you have to get home because it’s getting dark out, let’s walk you through our top picks to save you some time. We have three categories of keychain flashlights, and three models we feel offer best-in-class performance.
The Best Overall Keychain Flashlight – Nitecore TIP 2
- BRIGHTEST KEYCHAIN LIGHT - Doubling the power of the popular NITECORE TIP, NITECORE TIP2 reaches up to 720 lumens and over 100 yards in distance.
- Shorter than a car key and lighter than 1.5 oz, you can carry TIP2 on a keychain, in your pocket, or attach it to a backpack or cap bill with its removable clip. It is the ultimate high performing EDC flashlight.
- EASY TO OPERATE - Use the power switch to turn on/off and the mode switch to cycle through four brightnesses. Out of the box, TIP2 turns off automatically after 30 seconds to conserve the battery. You can also reconfigure the light so that it stays on until you turn the light off.
- USB RECHARGEABLE - Enjoy up to 55 hours runtime and a battery level indicator. When it is time to recharge, just connect it to any USB power source. TIP2 remains waterproof by concealing the USB port with a magnetic cover.
- CHARGING CABLE INCLUDED - Package contents include NITECORE TIP2 keychain light, key clasp, user manual, warranty card and LumenTac micro-USB charging cable.
This mini-torch has all the functionality you need in a keychain model. With a throw of over 100-yards, and 720-Lumens available, the Nitecore TIP2 is compact and lightweight. Strap it to you with the handy clip, and recharge using micro-USB functionality.
The Best Premium Keychain Flashlight – Prometheus Lights Beta
- QUICK-RELEASE KEYCHAIN FLASHLIGHT. The intuitive design allows you to easily detach the flashlight from your keyring when you need light. Accidental disengagement is virtually impossible and engagement is verified by a solid click every time!
- SUPERIOR LIGHT QUALITY. See colors as you would on a bright sunny day. Cheap LED flashlights have a limited color spectrum that washes out your subject with a harsh "hospital" light. Our flashlight delivers 92+ CRI - a clear, natural light.
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE IN A COMPACT SIZE. Precision-engineered components from premium materials make this flashlight lightweight and reliable. Fits in the palm of your hand. Add the Beta to your keychain without adding bulk and weight. Perfect for EDC.
- EVERY DAY CARRY FLASHLIGHT. The quick-release mechanism lets you effortlessly take it on and off your keyring. Adapts to all your needs, whether it's in the lab, office or home. Made for every day carry convenience.
- THREE LIGHT MODES. Low/Medium High. Low: 1 Lumen. Medium: 15 Lumens at 19 meters. High: 80 Lumens at 30 meters. Easy to use Twist On/Off function and Mode Cycling.
This quick-release keychain flashlight comes in 8-colors, with grooves for better grip and 60-lumens available for 60-minutes. The fully waterproof design of this torch and rugged housing means it works in the most demanding conditions.
The Best Budget Keychain Flashlight – Klarus Mi2
This USB-charged keychain light gives your 24-hours of use off a 30-minute charge. You get 40-Lumen, with two brightness modes and IPX4 water-resistant rating. This model is affordable and features a sleek, modern design.
Keychain Flashlight Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the top model in this review let’s unpack them in further detail. We have some other recommendations on top keychain flashlights for you to consider, and check out our buyers guide section for more information.
NITECORE TIP 2 – The Best Overall Keychain Flashlight
What does a keychain flashlight offer you that a phone can’t? That’s a common question we hear, and those individuals should pay attention to the new Nitcore TIP2. This torch is an example of the top-tier in personal illumination technology.
This model is lightweight and compact. The device features a slender and small housing that clicks into a belt holster for easy access in various emergencies. If you need a flashlight, don’t rely on your phone, put your faith in the TIP2 from Nitecore.
This model comes with a max of 720-Lumens, which is bright enough for a 100-yard throw. Carry it on your keychain or belt and have the light ready to go whenever you need it. The slimline form factor of this keychain flashlight measures 2.46″ long by 0.5″ wide, fit it on your belt, and you’ll forget it’s there.
The IP67 rating makes this torch splash resistant and suitable for use in wet weather conditions. The dual Cree XP-G3 S3 LEDs in the torch-head work together to create overlapping beams that provide a wide distribution of light.
You get four brightness modes, including the high-power. However, this light is as subtle as you need it. If you drop your keys in your cart at night, there’s a low-level torch setting for that task, producing just 1-Lumen, with a runtime of 55-hours.
This model offers you outstanding performance, and it beats other torches twice its size. The TIP2 wins our top award as the best keychain flashlight you can buy.
- 720-Lumen capacity on turbo mode
- Four different brightness modes
- Throws light for over 100-yards
- Quick-release belt clip
- USB charging
- Automatic shutoff
- Compact design
- Clip not built into the flashlight
Prometheus Lights Beta – The Best Premium Keychain FlashlightThe Prometheus stands out from the other models in this review thanks to its superior design and construction. The innovative snap-on and snap-off keychain system for this flashlight is a class-leader and makes it our choice for the top premium model in this review.
When glancing at the Prometheus, the deep grooves in the barrel of the flashlight draw your attention. These grooves ensure the flashlight is lightweight, and it gives you excellent grip over the torch, with full control over the barrel between your fingers.
This model is a staple for many keychains across the country, and it has a huge following in the EDC community. Prometheus knows how to build a torch, and you get top-quality all-weather performance with an IPX8 rating for total water resistance.
The Nichia 219B CRI High-performance LED is one of the best torch LEDs available, pushing out two modes. The first low mode on this flashlight produces 15-Lumens, with a 60-foot light throw and 4-hours of runtime. The high-power mode offers a 60-Lumen output with a 120-foot throw and 60-minutes of runtime.
The new Chroma designs feature anodized colors to the shell of the torch. The flashlight housing is durable and scratch-resistant, featuring an aluminum design.
- Quick-release from keychain loop
- Dual-mode torch with 15 or 60-Lumen outputs
- Up to a 100-foot throw on high mode
- Comes in 8-colors
- Easy-grip body
- Premium Price
Klarus Mi2 – The Best Budget Keychain FlashlightThis keychain flashlight features a creative design with a modern edge. You get a full beam pattern from the torch, extending through 100-degrees. This flashlight connects to your keychain using a keyring or fob.
You get control of the flashlight through the silicone mode button, and the power button mounted on the top and sides of the torch chassis. We like the variable lighting settings on this model, allowing you to take the torch from as low as 1-Lumen output to a top-end of 40-Lumens.
This model comes with a USB charger, allowing you to power it up wherever you go. The flashlight reaches a full charge of the 120mAh battery in less than 30-minutes.
The form factor of the Mi2 has a slimline 2.18 “profile, featuring a 0.32-ounce weight, as well as a built-in split-ring, and it’s available at an incredibly affordable price point. This keyring flashlight makes a solid choice for your EDC setup.
- Affordable and effective
- Micro-USB charging
- Two brightness modes
- IPX4 water-resistance
- 100-degree illumination angle
- Feels cheap
RovyVon Aurora A8The RovyVon Aurora A8 features a polycarbonate chassis, giving it a lightweight design. The torch measures 2.16-inches, weighing 0.416-ounces. This model has a similar look to previous generation Auroras, with a Nichia 219C LED emitter.
This torch has an impressive 350-Lumen output, making it one of the most robust flashlights in this review. The rechargeable battery connects to a micro-USB port, allowing you to charge your torch on the move. Clip this model into your pocket using the detachable clip or hook a lanyard onto the molded eye at the rear of the chassis.
This LED in this model features a 4500K tint providing 90+ CRI. As a result, you get a warm-white light beam producing accurate color representation. You get four modes with the A8, with the lowest “Moonlight” mode offering 0.5-lumens.
- Eight brightness modes
- Affordable pricing
- 220-minutes runtime on low mode
- Fast recharge
- 2-year warranty
- The detachable clip might pop off
Fenix E12 FlashlightThe E12 is a no-frills keychain flashlight that makes a great EDC. The machined aluminum-alloy chassis is rugged and robust, standing up to the abuse of everyday carry situations.
We like the tactical tail cap in this model, allowing you to operate it with the tactical reverse grip.
The knurling on the chassis provides good grip, even when wearing gloves. You get a maximum output of 130-Lumen, with a throw of 250+ feet. The device takes a single AA-battery, providing runtimes of up to 22-hours from a single cell.
- 130-Lumen max output
- Compact 4″ aircraft-grade aluminum
- IPX8 rating for full water resistance
- Precision machined case
- Tactical rear switch
- A little large
The Maglite is a classic brand, and we all remember the long police flashlights that were a trend back in the 90s and 00s. The Maglite Solitaire offers you a slimline version of the world’s most popular tactical torch.
- Works off AAA-battery
- Made in the USA
- Powerful adjustable beam
- Lanyard included
- Good choice for camping and hunting trips
- IPX7 water-resistant rating
- Anodized interior for corrosion resistance
- No multi-mode functionality
For something completely different, check out the unique design on the MecArmy model.
This keychain flashlight features an ergonomic design, with a TC4 titanium chassis and CREE XP-G2 S4 LED. You get a 360-Lumen output from this model, with CNC precision-machined chassis and comfortable grip.
The flashlight has an 8-hour runtime, with multiple modes and USB charging. We like that you get strobe functionality with this torch, and the 2.6″ length of the flashlight provides compact carry. You won’t even notice it’s in your pocket, with this model weighing less than an ounce.
- Unique design characteristics
- Made from TC4 titanium
- 360-Lumen output
- 8-hour max runtime
- Ergonomically designed to fit in your hand
- IPX5 waterproofing
- The design isn’t for everyone
If you’re looking for an affordable keychain flashlight for your car, this is the model for you.
The Streamlight Nano is the perfect option for finding your phone after it slips out of your pocket in the driver’s seat.
You get 10-Lumens and decent battery life. However, don’t expect this torch to do much outside of your vehicle. The chassis features design and construction with anodized aircraft-grade aluminum, and it comes in four colors.
- 8-hour battery life
- Only measure 1.5-inches in length
- No extra functions
- Weak light beam
Other Best Selling Options
- High-performance LED and special faceted reflector produce broad, smooth, 300-lumen MaxVision Beam optimized for the human eye
- Easy click-type switch permits access to all 3 output levels with repeated presses
- Micro-USB charging port permits simple recharging of integral li-ion battery
- Compact, lightweight polymer body is weather resistant; features split ring for easy attachment to keys or carabiner clips
- Always accessible light provides countless utility uses, including emergency preparedness
- 🔋 HOW BRIGHT: With OSRAM LED (50000-hour lifespan), Lumintop EDC01 could pump out up to 120 lumens brightness which only runs with a single AAA cell. Also, support the easy-to-get AAA battery and provides max 36 hours runtime. (Under American National Standard NEMA/FL-1)
- 🔋 HOW RELIABLE: Built with the highest IPX8 Waterproof Certification, EDC01 is suitable for continual submersion in water under 6.5ft. Don't worry about accidentally dropped due to ANSI verified Impact Resistance (up to 5ft).
- 🔋 HOW COMPACT: Military grade (HA-III) anodized surface, Aircraft-grade aluminum body, lighter than 3 Nickel (weight:0.42oz, excluding battery). Real compact size (2.36*0.57inch) makes EDC01 the best choice of keychain flashlights.
- 🔋 SIMPLE BUT FUNCTIONAL: Features three modes. Twist the light head to switch the mode (mid – low - high). To turn the EDC01 on simply twist the light head clockwise to turn on the light. Twist the tailcap counter-clockwise to turn off the light. It is very convenient to connect to the keychain or put into backpack or the pocket. Keep a back-up in the medical and emergency kit.
- 🔋 WHAT YOU GET: Lumintop EDC01 keychain Flashlight, 2*Spare O-Rings, Diffuser, Keychain. With your purchase of Lumintop EDC01 in LUMINTOP DIRECT, you will also receive an Unconditional 30 Days Money Back Guarantee and 5 Years Free Repair Warranty.
- [Super Bright & Mini Pocket Flashlight] - Special CREE LEDs provide 180lumens super bright lightness and cover a long 43.8m beam distance. This keychain light with mini size 2.95"*0.75" and super lightweight 0.49 oz. Easy to carry, come with a keychain and a metal clip to make the flashlight pen light perfect fit in pockets,purse,handbag. Have fun for camping, walking dogs or outdoor adventure activities.
- [3 Modes Easy Usage & Battery included] - This small flashlight supports 3 light modes: high light, low light, strobe mode. Halfway press tail switch to change light modes, easy one handed operation. Compatible with an Alkaline AAA battery which included in the package. A good gift for kids, friends,family,lovers. ATTENTION : before using the pocket flashlights, please peel off the insulating layer covers the battery.
- [IPX8 Waterproof and Weatherproof] -The flashlight high lumen is built with the highest IPX8 waterproof certification. This cree led flashlight is submersible and tested the work flashlight can stand 2m underwater for over an hour. Now you can stop worrying about unexpected weather rain or snow . A good tool works in emergencies such as hurricane,earthquake,power outage...
- [Impact Resistance With Precision-workmanship] - The edc flashlight was constructed of an aircraft-grade aluminum case with a hard-anodized surface. So the mini light resists rust and corrosion. This mini led flashlight passed 1.5m drop resistance test, so do not worry about the flashlights falling off from high places. Exquisite diamond knurling ensures an attractive appearance and a steady anti-slip performance.
- [100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED] - We are so confident that you'll love the small aaa flashlight that we offer the BEST guarantee on the market. If you aren't happy with your mini keychain flashlights outdoor indoor for ANY reason, please contact us.
- HOW BRIGHT: With Cree top class XPL-HD LED(50000-hour lifespan), Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 could pump out up to non-diminishing 650-lumens brightness on high mode which only runs with a single 14500 cell. Also, support the easy-to-get AA battery and provides max 60h runtime on low mode. The newest design with eye-catching indicators on the tail(only light when using 14500 battery). you can loosen the tail or head to close the light.
- HOW RELIABLE: Built with the highest IP68 Waterproof Certification, Tool AA 2.0 is suitable for continual submersion in water under 6.5ft. Don't worry about accidentally dropped due to ANSI verified Impact Resistance(up to 5ft). The anti-slip exclusive knurling holds fast in your hand during extreme conditions.
- HOW COMPACT:Military grade(HA-III) anodized surface, Aircraft-grade aluminum body, lighter than 4 Quarters dollor(weight:0.83oz,excluding battery). Real compact size(3.52*0.73 inch) makes Tool AA the best choice of EDC flashlights.
- HOW FUNCTIONAL: Features four lighting modes with mode memory plus strobe, all of which can be pressed the clicky tail or twisting the base to turn on/off. The flashlight will remember the last used mode. Next time you turn on the flashlight, it will light up at the exact mode you choosed. You do not need to cycling through flashing modes to adjust the brightness.
- WHAT YOU GET: With your purchase of Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 in LUMINTOP DIRECT, you will also receive an Unconditional 30 Days Money Back Guarantee and 5 Years Free Repair Warranty.PACKAGE CONTENT: Lumintop Tool AA 2.0, User Guide, 2*Spare O-Rings, Diffuser, Lanyard, Cardboard box.
- RovyVon Keychain Flashlight, EDC(small size,lightweight),USB Rechargeable Polymer Li-ion Battery,2-year warranty,Factory outlets.
- 4 different modes for use,Low-Med-High-Strobe.Double click to turn on.
- Micro USB charging port.Fast charging just need 45 Minutes.4.2V/130mAH rechargeable polymer Li-ion battery,never leakage.
- PA+Stainless Steel material,thermal insulation,Scratch-resistant.Chemical etching surface treatment,Anti-skid.Compact structure,Full Stainless Steel material,difficult to discolored,compact structure lighweight outdoor EDC mini torch,water resistance of IPX5, resistance of water splash or rain(can not soak into the water directly)
- Max Beam Intensity 980cd,Max Beam Distance 80m,1.5m Impact Resistance,Luminous angle 10°. RovyVon Direct's desgin perfect to Halloween gift idea.
Keychain Flashlight Buyer’s Guide
After a closer inspection of our top models, you should have an idea of the best keychain flashlight to suit your needs. In this section, we’ll give you some more handy information on choosing the right model for you.
What Do I Look for In a Keychain Flashlight?
When compiling the keychain flashlights for this review, we went through offerings from nearly 30-brands to come up with these eight models. When selecting our top picks, we used the following criteria to qualify each of the models.
- Brightness outputs
- Charging convenience
- Carry functionality
The result is the best EDC (Everyday Carry) keychain flashlights available. Let’s give you more insight on what to look for when selecting your keychain flashlight.
Length and Weight
When settling on your ideal EDC keychain flashlight, focus on finding a balance between a compact and lightweight torch, and the housing. A lightweight torch is great, but if you drop it on the floor and it smashes into pieces, that’s not a good flashlight for an EDC.
Look for models that come with a drop rating of at least 3-feet. You’re looking for a lightweight and compact torch, so you need something that’s a few inches in length and clips to your keychain or your belt for easy access.
Today’s keychain flashlights pack plenty of functionality into a small package. Look for models that come with multiple modes. The best torches feature two or three lighting modes, allowing you to adjust the beam’s intensity. This functionality helps you save on battery time.
Some tasks require more lighting than others. For example, walking the dog at night requires bright light, while checking to see where you dropped your wallet in the car only requires a few lumens.
Keeping your torch charged and ready to go is an important responsibility. The last thing you need to happen is for your flashlight to fail when you need it most.
The USB charging allows you to keep the flashlight ready to go at a moment’s notice. Keep an eye out for fast-charging models that offer a full charge in a few hours—many of the torches in this review feature USB-charging for easy maintenance on-the-go.
Some models feature traditional battery power. Ensure you have the right batteries for your torch and keep a spare set in your car or other areas around the house for emergencies.
Belt and Pocket Clips
While the title of this review says “the best keychain flashlight,” these models can also clip to your belt. Look for housings with belt clip attachments. If you’re leaving the house without your keys, you can take your torch with you.
Other Notable Features
Look for models that feature multiple lighting modes that include turbo and strobe functions. Tactical tail buttons are a good choice when using a reverse grip on the flashlight. Your flashlight should come with fixed brightness modes or dials that allow for the light beam’s manual focus.
Keychain Flashlight FAQs
What are the top uses of a keychain flashlight?
A keychain flashlight comes in handy more often than you think it might. You can use it to locate items in the car or tight spaces. It makes a good emergency light if your phone goes dead, or you need to look in the engine of your car while talking on the phone.
What are the best brands of keychain flashlights?
We like the brands in this review. Nitecore is an example of one of the leading brands in the self-defense and home security industry. Maglite and Prometheus are also household names in flashlights.
What can I expect to pay for a keychain flashlight?
A keychain flashlight can cost you anything from $5 to $100, depending on the model and the brand. You get what you pay for, so expect to pay more than $40 if you want a functional EDC keychain flashlight.
Where’s the best place to buy a keychain flashlight?
We recommend picking up your flashlight from Amazon or another online retailer. You get a satisfaction guarantee through Amazon, and you won’t have any trouble getting a refund using this platform.
Keychain Flashlights – The Verdict
By now, you should have a good idea of the right keychain flashlight to suit your needs. If you’re still battling with settling on your flashlight, why not rely on our top choices?
The Nitecore TIP 2 wins our top spot as the best overall keychain flashlight in this review. The powerful 720-Lumen beam and dual-mode functionality make it a reliable and effective torch you can use as an EDC.
The Prometheus Lights Beta keychain flashlight is the best premium model in this review. With a sleek design and manufacture with premium materials, this model has everything you need in a keychain flashlight.
The Klarus Mi2 rounds out our review of the best keychain flashlights. This budget model is affordable and functional.