Carrying a small flashlight is an essential part of the kit for law enforcement, security, outdoor people, and even your average homeowner. Most people rely on their phones for a torch. While that’s ok, it drains your battery fast. With the flashlight on your phone, there’s a limitation on the performance you get.
If you want to light up your life, carry an EDC keychain flashlight. These torches fit onto your keychain or pocket, allowing you to have a handy source of light when walking back to your car in the dark. There’s plenty of useful tasks for an EDC keychain flashlight, and it’s better to have one on hand and not need one than need one and not have one.
In this review, we’ll look at the best keychain flashlight, and make recommendations on our top models. Check out our buyer’s guide and FAQ for useful information about choosing the right model for your lifestyle needs.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Keychain Flashlight Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Keychain Flashlight Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Keychain Flashlight FAQs
- 6 Keychain Flashlights – The Verdict
If you have to get home because it’s getting dark out, let’s walk you through our top picks to save you some time. We have three categories of keychain flashlights, and three models we feel offer best-in-class performance.
The Best Overall Keychain Flashlight – Nitecore TIP 2
- BRIGHTEST KEYCHAIN LIGHT - Doubling the power of the popular NITECORE TIP, NITECORE TIP2 reaches up to 720 lumens and over 100 yards in distance.
- Shorter than a car key and lighter than 1.5 oz, you can carry TIP2 on a keychain, in your pocket, or attach it to a backpack or cap bill with its removable clip. It is the ultimate high performing EDC flashlight.
- EASY TO OPERATE - Use the power switch to turn on/off and the mode switch to cycle through four brightnesses. Out of the box, TIP2 turns off automatically after 30 seconds to conserve the battery. You can also reconfigure the light so that it stays on until you turn the light off.
- USB RECHARGEABLE - Enjoy up to 55 hours runtime and a battery level indicator. When it is time to recharge, just connect it to any USB power source. TIP2 remains waterproof by concealing the USB port with a magnetic cover.
- CHARGING CABLE INCLUDED - Package contents include NITECORE TIP2 keychain light, key clasp, user manual, warranty card and LumenTac micro-USB charging cable.
This mini-torch has all the functionality you need in a keychain model. With a throw of over 100-yards, and 720-Lumens available, the Nitecore TIP2 is compact and lightweight. Strap it to you with the handy clip, and recharge using micro-USB functionality.
The Best Premium Keychain Flashlight – Prometheus Lights Beta
- QUICK RELEASE KEYCHAIN LED FLASHLIGHT - The intuitive design of the Black Prometheus Beta Quick Release Keychain LED Flashlight allows you to easily detach the flashlight from your keychain when you need light. Accidental disengagement is virtually impossible. Engagement is verified by a solid click every time!
- SUPERIOR LIGHT QUALITY - See colors as you would on a bright sunny day. Cheap LED flashlights have a limited color spectrum that washes out your subject with a harsh "hospital" light. Our flashlight delivers 92+ CRI - a clear, natural light.
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE, COMPACT SIZE - Precision-engineered components from premium materials make this flashlight lightweight and reliable. Fits in the palm of your hand. Add the Black Beta to your keychain without adding bulk and weight. Perfect for EDC.
- EVERY DAY CARRY LED FLASHLIGHT. The quick release mechanism lets you effortlessly take it on and off your keychain. Adapts to all your needs, whether it's in the lab, office or home. Made for every day carry convenience.
- THREE LIGHT MODES. Low/Medium/High. Low: 1 Lumen. Medium: 15 Lumens at 19 meters. High: 90 Lumens at 30 meters. Easy to use Twist On/Off function and Mode Cycling.
This quick-release keychain flashlight comes in 8-colors, with grooves for better grip and 60-lumens available for 60-minutes. The fully waterproof design of this torch and rugged housing means it works in the most demanding conditions.
The Best Budget Keychain Flashlight – Klarus Mi2
- ★The Klarus Mi2 EDC key light is a tiny rechargeable LED keychain flashlight with dual output settings ranging from 1.5 to 40 lumens. It weighs only 9g and has an extraordinarily compact size.
- ★The klarus Mi2 rechargeable LED tiny flashlight features a built-in rechargeable battery that charges through a Micro USB port, Fully charged within 30 minutes. Max long runtime up to 24 hours illumination.
- ★The Klarus Mi2 tiny light is the perfect daily carry keychain flashlight with high output, convenient charging, and easy mode changing.
- ★2 Brightness Mode; ON/OFF and output changes are controlled through touching the side switch. With charging indicator, let you know the charging state of the flashlight at any time.
- ★IPX4 rated waterproof; can withstand exposure to rain and splashing.
This USB-charged keychain light gives your 24-hours of use off a 30-minute charge. You get 40-Lumen, with two brightness modes and IPX4 water-resistant rating. This model is affordable and features a sleek, modern design.
Keychain Flashlight Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the top model in this review let’s unpack them in further detail. We have some other recommendations on top keychain flashlights for you to consider, and check out our buyers guide section for more information.
NITECORE TIP 2 – The Best Overall Keychain Flashlight
What does a keychain flashlight offer you that a phone can’t? That’s a common question we hear, and those individuals should pay attention to the new Nitcore TIP2. This torch is an example of the top-tier in personal illumination technology.
This model is lightweight and compact. The device features a slender and small housing that clicks into a belt holster for easy access in various emergencies. If you need a flashlight, don’t rely on your phone, put your faith in the TIP2 from Nitecore.
This model comes with a max of 720-Lumens, which is bright enough for a 100-yard throw. Carry it on your keychain or belt and have the light ready to go whenever you need it. The slimline form factor of this keychain flashlight measures 2.46″ long by 0.5″ wide, fit it on your belt, and you’ll forget it’s there.
The IP67 rating makes this torch splash resistant and suitable for use in wet weather conditions. The dual Cree XP-G3 S3 LEDs in the torch-head work together to create overlapping beams that provide a wide distribution of light.
You get four brightness modes, including the high-power. However, this light is as subtle as you need it. If you drop your keys in your cart at night, there’s a low-level torch setting for that task, producing just 1-Lumen, with a runtime of 55-hours.
This model offers you outstanding performance, and it beats other torches twice its size. The TIP2 wins our top award as the best keychain flashlight you can buy.
- 720-Lumen capacity on turbo mode
- Four different brightness modes
- Throws light for over 100-yards
- Quick-release belt clip
- USB charging
- Automatic shutoff
- Compact design
- Clip not built into the flashlight
Prometheus Lights Beta – The Best Premium Keychain FlashlightThe Prometheus stands out from the other models in this review thanks to its superior design and construction. The innovative snap-on and snap-off keychain system for this flashlight is a class-leader and makes it our choice for the top premium model in this review.
When glancing at the Prometheus, the deep grooves in the barrel of the flashlight draw your attention. These grooves ensure the flashlight is lightweight, and it gives you excellent grip over the torch, with full control over the barrel between your fingers.
This model is a staple for many keychains across the country, and it has a huge following in the EDC community. Prometheus knows how to build a torch, and you get top-quality all-weather performance with an IPX8 rating for total water resistance.
The Nichia 219B CRI High-performance LED is one of the best torch LEDs available, pushing out two modes. The first low mode on this flashlight produces 15-Lumens, with a 60-foot light throw and 4-hours of runtime. The high-power mode offers a 60-Lumen output with a 120-foot throw and 60-minutes of runtime.
The new Chroma designs feature anodized colors to the shell of the torch. The flashlight housing is durable and scratch-resistant, featuring an aluminum design.
- Quick-release from keychain loop
- Dual-mode torch with 15 or 60-Lumen outputs
- Up to a 100-foot throw on high mode
- Comes in 8-colors
- Easy-grip body
- Premium Price
Klarus Mi2 – The Best Budget Keychain FlashlightThis keychain flashlight features a creative design with a modern edge. You get a full beam pattern from the torch, extending through 100-degrees. This flashlight connects to your keychain using a keyring or fob.
You get control of the flashlight through the silicone mode button, and the power button mounted on the top and sides of the torch chassis. We like the variable lighting settings on this model, allowing you to take the torch from as low as 1-Lumen output to a top-end of 40-Lumens.
This model comes with a USB charger, allowing you to power it up wherever you go. The flashlight reaches a full charge of the 120mAh battery in less than 30-minutes.
The form factor of the Mi2 has a slimline 2.18 “profile, featuring a 0.32-ounce weight, as well as a built-in split-ring, and it’s available at an incredibly affordable price point. This keyring flashlight makes a solid choice for your EDC setup.
- Affordable and effective
- Micro-USB charging
- Two brightness modes
- IPX4 water-resistance
- 100-degree illumination angle
- Feels cheap
RovyVon Aurora A8The RovyVon Aurora A8 features a polycarbonate chassis, giving it a lightweight design. The torch measures 2.16-inches, weighing 0.416-ounces. This model has a similar look to previous generation Auroras, with a Nichia 219C LED emitter.
This torch has an impressive 350-Lumen output, making it one of the most robust flashlights in this review. The rechargeable battery connects to a micro-USB port, allowing you to charge your torch on the move. Clip this model into your pocket using the detachable clip or hook a lanyard onto the molded eye at the rear of the chassis.
This LED in this model features a 4500K tint providing 90+ CRI. As a result, you get a warm-white light beam producing accurate color representation. You get four modes with the A8, with the lowest “Moonlight” mode offering 0.5-lumens.
- Eight brightness modes
- Affordable pricing
- 220-minutes runtime on low mode
- Fast recharge
- 2-year warranty
- The detachable clip might pop off
Fenix E12 FlashlightThe E12 is a no-frills keychain flashlight that makes a great EDC. The machined aluminum-alloy chassis is rugged and robust, standing up to the abuse of everyday carry situations.
We like the tactical tail cap in this model, allowing you to operate it with the tactical reverse grip.
The knurling on the chassis provides good grip, even when wearing gloves. You get a maximum output of 130-Lumen, with a throw of 250+ feet. The device takes a single AA-battery, providing runtimes of up to 22-hours from a single cell.
- 130-Lumen max output
- Compact 4″ aircraft-grade aluminum
- IPX8 rating for full water resistance
- Precision machined case
- Tactical rear switch
- A little large
The Maglite is a classic brand, and we all remember the long police flashlights that were a trend back in the 90s and 00s. The Maglite Solitaire offers you a slimline version of the world’s most popular tactical torch.
- Works off AAA-battery
- Made in the USA
- Powerful adjustable beam
- Lanyard included
- Good choice for camping and hunting trips
- IPX7 water-resistant rating
- Anodized interior for corrosion resistance
- No multi-mode functionality
For something completely different, check out the unique design on the MecArmy model.
This keychain flashlight features an ergonomic design, with a TC4 titanium chassis and CREE XP-G2 S4 LED. You get a 360-Lumen output from this model, with CNC precision-machined chassis and comfortable grip.
The flashlight has an 8-hour runtime, with multiple modes and USB charging. We like that you get strobe functionality with this torch, and the 2.6″ length of the flashlight provides compact carry. You won’t even notice it’s in your pocket, with this model weighing less than an ounce.
- Unique design characteristics
- Made from TC4 titanium
- 360-Lumen output
- 8-hour max runtime
- Ergonomically designed to fit in your hand
- IPX5 waterproofing
- The design isn’t for everyone
If you’re looking for an affordable keychain flashlight for your car, this is the model for you.
The Streamlight Nano is the perfect option for finding your phone after it slips out of your pocket in the driver’s seat.
You get 10-Lumens and decent battery life. However, don’t expect this torch to do much outside of your vehicle. The chassis features design and construction with anodized aircraft-grade aluminum, and it comes in four colors.
- 8-hour battery life
- Only measure 1.5-inches in length
- No extra functions
- Weak light beam
Other Best Selling Options
- One of the brightest keychain lights: This led keychain flashlight is surprisingly bright with 40 lumens.And included 4 LR44 batteries.You will love the quality of this flashlight. It is compact, durable and super bright for the size.
- Flashlights to go: This mini keychain flashlight is easily portable. Its matching carabiner clip, makes it an easy choice to take along on backpacks, purses, key chains, night games, intricate DIY projects and even for emergency lighting.
- Zoomable focus and rubber grip: This small keychain flashlight is built with a zoomable focusing feature. The wide focusing beam provides a great user experience. The comfortable rubber grip makes it possible to focus the beam with one hand and helps to prevent dropping.
- Durable, water resistant and versatile: These led mini key chain flashlights are put to the test in almost every imaginable circumstance; camping, glove box, fishing, motorcycling, kids play, night safety, DIY, backpacking, walking, work sites, purses and more. Constructed with Aircraft-grade aluminum and o-ring sealed, these flashlights are water resistant and have passed the test from gear heads and hikers.
- Worry free limited manufacturer one year warranty: These keychain flashlights come with a hassle-free Limited Manufacturer One Year Warranty. Our unmatched customer service will make sure your buying and owning experience is the best in the business. We’re a U.S. company, nestled in the mountains of Utah and are eager to ensure you have a great experience.
- [ 650 Lumens Ultra Bright ]: UPGRADE A1x small powerul flashlight has Cree XP-G3 S5 bulb, which can give out max 650 lumens brighter than other flashlight you’ve used in the past. NOTE: NEVER look directly into the flashlight when it is switched on.
- [ Better Operation ]: Quick-access on, directly to high mode (Momentary On) for emergency use; 2-Clicks-On, no accidently on, no power waste; default way from moonlight-low-med-high.
- [ 330mAh Li-po Rechargeable ]: This USB Rechargeable led keychain light more capacity than before, No PWM, making it higher output and more runtime.
- [ Hidden Strobe Mode ]: Some people like the Strobe mode, while others think it annoying, so we hid the strobe mode by special activate (Triple-clicks ON), in this way, we keep the function for emergency use, but it will not annoy you for everyday use.
- [ Memory Mode ]: No worry to feel it hard as too many lighting modes, When this pocket size flashlight working at a mode over 3 minutes, it will be turned on from the same mode next time.
- BRIGHTEST, SMALLEST KEYCHAIN LIGHT - This innovative super mini keychain flashlight pushes the boundaries with the brightest output available for its size. A CREE XP-G2 S3 LED emits up to 380 lumens max output - bright enough to rival full size lights!
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT - Weighing under half an ounce and measuring 1.7"x1"x0.45" in size, the TINI is barely noticeable on your keychain or tucked into pockets and bags for everyday carry.
- SIMPLE OPERATION - Control on/off and mode adjustment with two easy to use dual controls. Press & hold the Power button for two seconds to turn on the TINI for constant illumination or press & hold the Mode button for instant access to Turbo.
- RECHARGEABLE WITH LONG RUNTIME - The built-in Li-ion battery runs for up to 60 hours and is rechargeable from any available USB power source using the built-in Micro-USB port.
- PACKAGE CONTENTS - NITECORE TINI Keychain Light, key clasp, user manual, warranty card, Lumen Tactical charging cable
- Multi-function: Multifunction Tactical Keychain design including LED flashlight, Phillips screwdriver, mini folding knife, bottle opener, flat screwdriver, key ring for men to meet different needs.
- Easy to carry: It can be hung on a key ring/keychain as a pendant, convenient to put it in your pocket and take it anywhere.
- Exquisite design: The blade can be hidden smartly in the gourd-shaped handle, bring you comfortable hand feeling and better safety.
- High-quality materials: Made of quality stainless steel and aluminum, lightweight, compact and durable. Versatile, durable. This gadget is also suitable as creative gifts and promotion goods.
- Pay attention: Please keep the keychain away from children no more than 6 years! That's dangerous for children and this isn't a toy! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us and we will help you solve them within 12 hours.
- High-performance LED and special faceted reflector produce broad, smooth, 300-lumen MaxVision Beam optimized for the human eye
- Easy click-type switch permits access to all 3 output levels with repeated presses
- Micro-USB charging port permits simple recharging of integral li-ion battery
- Compact, lightweight polymer body is weather resistant; features split ring for easy attachment to keys or carabiner clips
- Always accessible light provides countless utility uses, including emergency preparedness
Keychain Flashlight Buyer’s Guide
After a closer inspection of our top models, you should have an idea of the best keychain flashlight to suit your needs. In this section, we’ll give you some more handy information on choosing the right model for you.
What Do I Look for In a Keychain Flashlight?
When compiling the keychain flashlights for this review, we went through offerings from nearly 30-brands to come up with these eight models. When selecting our top picks, we used the following criteria to qualify each of the models.
- Brightness outputs
- Charging convenience
- Carry functionality
The result is the best EDC (Everyday Carry) keychain flashlights available. Let’s give you more insight on what to look for when selecting your keychain flashlight.
Length and Weight
When settling on your ideal EDC keychain flashlight, focus on finding a balance between a compact and lightweight torch, and the housing. A lightweight torch is great, but if you drop it on the floor and it smashes into pieces, that’s not a good flashlight for an EDC.
Look for models that come with a drop rating of at least 3-feet. You’re looking for a lightweight and compact torch, so you need something that’s a few inches in length and clips to your keychain or your belt for easy access.
Today’s keychain flashlights pack plenty of functionality into a small package. Look for models that come with multiple modes. The best torches feature two or three lighting modes, allowing you to adjust the beam’s intensity. This functionality helps you save on battery time.
Some tasks require more lighting than others. For example, walking the dog at night requires bright light, while checking to see where you dropped your wallet in the car only requires a few lumens.
Keeping your torch charged and ready to go is an important responsibility. The last thing you need to happen is for your flashlight to fail when you need it most.
The USB charging allows you to keep the flashlight ready to go at a moment’s notice. Keep an eye out for fast-charging models that offer a full charge in a few hours—many of the torches in this review feature USB-charging for easy maintenance on-the-go.
Some models feature traditional battery power. Ensure you have the right batteries for your torch and keep a spare set in your car or other areas around the house for emergencies.
Belt and Pocket Clips
While the title of this review says “the best keychain flashlight,” these models can also clip to your belt. Look for housings with belt clip attachments. If you’re leaving the house without your keys, you can take your torch with you.
Other Notable Features
Look for models that feature multiple lighting modes that include turbo and strobe functions. Tactical tail buttons are a good choice when using a reverse grip on the flashlight. Your flashlight should come with fixed brightness modes or dials that allow for the light beam’s manual focus.
Keychain Flashlight FAQs
What are the top uses of a keychain flashlight?
A keychain flashlight comes in handy more often than you think it might. You can use it to locate items in the car or tight spaces. It makes a good emergency light if your phone goes dead, or you need to look in the engine of your car while talking on the phone.
What are the best brands of keychain flashlights?
We like the brands in this review. Nitecore is an example of one of the leading brands in the self-defense and home security industry. Maglite and Prometheus are also household names in flashlights.
What can I expect to pay for a keychain flashlight?
A keychain flashlight can cost you anything from $5 to $100, depending on the model and the brand. You get what you pay for, so expect to pay more than $40 if you want a functional EDC keychain flashlight.
Where’s the best place to buy a keychain flashlight?
We recommend picking up your flashlight from Amazon or another online retailer. You get a satisfaction guarantee through Amazon, and you won’t have any trouble getting a refund using this platform.
Keychain Flashlights – The Verdict
By now, you should have a good idea of the right keychain flashlight to suit your needs. If you’re still battling with settling on your flashlight, why not rely on our top choices?
The Nitecore TIP 2 wins our top spot as the best overall keychain flashlight in this review. The powerful 720-Lumen beam and dual-mode functionality make it a reliable and effective torch you can use as an EDC.
The Prometheus Lights Beta keychain flashlight is the best premium model in this review. With a sleek design and manufacture with premium materials, this model has everything you need in a keychain flashlight.
The Klarus Mi2 rounds out our review of the best keychain flashlights. This budget model is affordable and functional.