Carrying a small flashlight is an essential part of the kit for law enforcement, security, outdoor people, and even your average homeowner. Most people rely on their phones for a torch. While that’s ok, it drains your battery fast. With the flashlight on your phone, there’s a limitation on the performance you get.
If you want to light up your life, carry an EDC keychain flashlight. These torches fit onto your keychain or pocket, allowing you to have a handy source of light when walking back to your car in the dark. There’s plenty of useful tasks for an EDC keychain flashlight, and it’s better to have one on hand and not need one than need one and not have one.
In this review, we’ll look at the best keychain flashlight, and make recommendations on our top models. Check out our buyer’s guide and FAQ for useful information about choosing the right model for your lifestyle needs.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Keychain Flashlight Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Keychain Flashlight Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Keychain Flashlight FAQs
- 6 Keychain Flashlights – The Verdict
If you have to get home because it’s getting dark out, let’s walk you through our top picks to save you some time. We have three categories of keychain flashlights, and three models we feel offer best-in-class performance.
- The Best Overall Keychain Flashlight – Nitecore TIP 2
This mini-torch has all the functionality you need in a keychain model. With a throw of over 100-yards, and 720-Lumens available, the Nitecore TIP2 is compact and lightweight. Strap it to you with the handy clip, and recharge using micro-USB functionality.
- The Best Premium Keychain Flashlight – Prometheus Lights Beta
This quick-release keychain flashlight comes in 8-colors, with grooves for better grip and 60-lumens available for 60-minutes. The fully waterproof design of this torch and rugged housing means it works in the most demanding conditions.
- The Best Budget Keychain Flashlight – Klarus Mi2
This USB-charged keychain light gives your 24-hours of use off a 30-minute charge. You get 40-Lumen, with two brightness modes and IPX4 water-resistant rating. This model is affordable and features a sleek, modern design.
Keychain Flashlight Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the top model in this review let’s unpack them in further detail. We have some other recommendations on top keychain flashlights for you to consider, and check out our buyers guide section for more information.
NITECORE TIP 2 – The Best Overall Keychain Flashlight
What does a keychain flashlight offer you that a phone can’t? That’s a common question we hear, and those individuals should pay attention to the new Nitcore TIP2. This torch is an example of the top-tier in personal illumination technology.
This model is lightweight and compact. The device features a slender and small housing that clicks into a belt holster for easy access in various emergencies. If you need a flashlight, don’t rely on your phone, put your faith in the TIP2 from Nitecore.
- BRIGHTEST KEYCHAIN LIGHT - Doubling the power of the popular NITECORE TIP, NITECORE TIP2 reaches up to 720 lumens and over 100 yards in distance.
- Shorter than a car key and lighter than 1.5 oz, you can carry TIP2 on a keychain, in your pocket, or attach it to a backpack or cap bill with its removable clip. It is the ultimate high performing EDC flashlight.
- EASY TO OPERATE - Use the power switch to turn on/off and the mode switch to cycle through four brightnesses. Out of the box, TIP2 turns off automatically after 30 seconds to conserve the battery. You can also reconfigure the light so that it stays on until you turn the light off.
- USB RECHARGEABLE - Enjoy up to 55 hours runtime and a battery level indicator. When it is time to recharge, just connect it to any USB power source. TIP2 remains waterproof by concealing the USB port with a magnetic cover.
- CHARGING CABLE INCLUDED - Package contents include NITECORE TIP2 keychain light, key clasp, user manual, warranty card and LumenTac micro-USB charging cable.
This model comes with a max of 720-Lumens, which is bright enough for a 100-yard throw. Carry it on your keychain or belt and have the light ready to go whenever you need it. The slimline form factor of this keychain flashlight measures 2.46″ long by 0.5″ wide, fit it on your belt, and you’ll forget it’s there.
The IP67 rating makes this torch splash resistant and suitable for use in wet weather conditions. The dual Cree XP-G3 S3 LEDs in the torch-head work together to create overlapping beams that provide a wide distribution of light.
You get four brightness modes, including the high-power. However, this light is as subtle as you need it. If you drop your keys in your cart at night, there’s a low-level torch setting for that task, producing just 1-Lumen, with a runtime of 55-hours.
This model offers you outstanding performance, and it beats other torches twice its size. The TIP2 wins our top award as the best keychain flashlight you can buy.
- 720-Lumen capacity on turbo mode
- Four different brightness modes
- Throws light for over 100-yards
- Quick-release belt clip
- USB charging
- Automatic shutoff
- Compact design
- Clip not built into the flashlight
Prometheus Lights Beta – The Best Premium Keychain Flashlight
The Prometheus stands out from the other models in this review thanks to its superior design and construction. The innovative snap-on and snap-off keychain system for this flashlight is a class-leader and makes it our choice for the top premium model in this review.
When glancing at the Prometheus, the deep grooves in the barrel of the flashlight draw your attention. These grooves ensure the flashlight is lightweight, and it gives you excellent grip over the torch, with full control over the barrel between your fingers.
- MAXIMUM COLOR ACCURACY: Warm amber light provides high contrast and low interference; Nichia 319A LED emitter has a high CRI of 90+ designed for maximum color accuracy when measured against natural light
- CARRY IT ANYWHERE WITH YOU: Convenient, compact size; Lightweight and reliable flashlight that fits in the palm of your hand; Easily store in your pocket, bag, and more
- QUICK RELEASE FOR EASE OF USE: Detach flashlight from keychain quickly when ready for use; A solid click verifies engagement; Perfect for EDC as there is low risk for accidental disengagement; Push to engage and pull to disengage; Quick release holds up to 10 lb of pull weight
- MULTIPLE MODES FOR ANY SETTING: Low (1 Lumen), Medium (15 Lumens), and High (90 Lumens) modes available; Easily access mode cycling and twist on/off function; Adapts to all needs so that you can use it at home, at work, or in the lab
- BUILT TO LAST: Thoughtfully designed copper flashlight; Premium machine with canted coil spring; Excellent spring tension
This model is a staple for many keychains across the country, and it has a huge following in the EDC community. Prometheus knows how to build a torch, and you get top-quality all-weather performance with an IPX8 rating for total water resistance.
The Nichia 219B CRI High-performance LED is one of the best torch LEDs available, pushing out two modes. The first low mode on this flashlight produces 15-Lumens, with a 60-foot light throw and 4-hours of runtime. The high-power mode offers a 60-Lumen output with a 120-foot throw and 60-minutes of runtime.
The new Chroma designs feature anodized colors to the shell of the torch. The flashlight housing is durable and scratch-resistant, featuring an aluminum design.
- Quick-release from keychain loop
- Dual-mode torch with 15 or 60-Lumen outputs
- Up to a 100-foot throw on high mode
- Comes in 8-colors
- Easy-grip body
- Premium Price
Klarus Mi2 – The Best Budget Keychain Flashlight
This keychain flashlight features a creative design with a modern edge. You get a full beam pattern from the torch, extending through 100-degrees. This flashlight connects to your keychain using a keyring or fob.
You get control of the flashlight through the silicone mode button, and the power button mounted on the top and sides of the torch chassis. We like the variable lighting settings on this model, allowing you to take the torch from as low as 1-Lumen output to a top-end of 40-Lumens.
- SMALL AND LIGHTWEIGHT: Merely 0.32oz at 2.2in long, similar to or lighter than most keys, perfect discreet accessory to any keychain or everyday carry pack. Mini and lightweight keychain light carry with you, give you the light you need at any time, no need to worry about having to replace used batteries.
- 2 LIGHTING MODES: Low mode 1.5lumens, high mode 40lumens. The low mode is used for lighting a small place not disturb others,the high mode is bright enough for illuminating your porch, corridor or bedroom.
- EASY TO USE: Single silicon button design allows for convenient access, one-click for low mode, double click for high mode, press and hold can adjust the variation from 1.5 to 40 lumens.
- FAST RECHARGE: With built-in battery & integrated micro-USB charge port. It has a super-fast recharge function, with 0.5 hours recharging time, it can run up to 24 hours in low mode.
- SUPER BRIGHT: Small mini light for Momentary Illumination, Dog Light, Running, Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Emergency use. Make Great Gifts.
This model comes with a USB charger, allowing you to power it up wherever you go. The flashlight reaches a full charge of the 120mAh battery in less than 30-minutes.
The form factor of the Mi2 has a slimline 2.18 “profile, featuring a 0.32-ounce weight, as well as a built-in split-ring, and it’s available at an incredibly affordable price point. This keyring flashlight makes a solid choice for your EDC setup.
- Affordable and effective
- Micro-USB charging
- Two brightness modes
- IPX4 water-resistance
- 100-degree illumination angle
- Feels cheap
RovyVon Aurora A8
The RovyVon Aurora A8 features a polycarbonate chassis, giving it a lightweight design. The torch measures 2.16-inches, weighing 0.416-ounces. This model has a similar look to previous generation Auroras, with a Nichia 219C LED emitter.
This torch has an impressive 350-Lumen output, making it one of the most robust flashlights in this review. The rechargeable battery connects to a micro-USB port, allowing you to charge your torch on the move. Clip this model into your pocket using the detachable clip or hook a lanyard onto the molded eye at the rear of the chassis.
This LED in this model features a 4500K tint providing 90+ CRI. As a result, you get a warm-white light beam producing accurate color representation. You get four modes with the A8, with the lowest “Moonlight” mode offering 0.5-lumens.
- Eight brightness modes
- Affordable pricing
- 220-minutes runtime on low mode
- Fast recharge
- 2-year warranty
- The detachable clip might pop off
Fenix E12 Flashlight
The E12 is a no-frills keychain flashlight that makes a great EDC. The machined aluminum-alloy chassis is rugged and robust, standing up to the abuse of everyday carry situations.
We like the tactical tail cap in this model, allowing you to operate it with the tactical reverse grip.
- COMPACT EDC LIGHT- Weighing under 1 ounce and just 3 inches long, the E12 v2 produces a 160 lumen beam with a throw over 75 yards. It is a great choice to keep in your car, tool box, or as an everyday carry.
- EASY TO POWER - This everyday carry light runs on a single AA battery for 1 hour on high and up to 70 hours on low. No standby current extends your battery life.
- EASY TO OPERATE - Press the anti-slip tail switch to power the light on/off and half press to cycle through the two output modes. Alternatively, you can twist the lens to change the mode, perfect for one handed operation.
- ROBUST BUILD - An IP68 waterproof rating and 1.5 meter impact resistant rating ensures that the Fenix E12 v2 is tough enough to withstand any condition. The two-way clip securely attaches to your pocket, hat, or bag.
- E12 v2 BUNDLE - Included in this bundle are Fenix E12 v2.0, AA Battery, Lanyard, Spare O-ring, User manual, Warranty card, and a LumenTac Battery Organizer
The knurling on the chassis provides good grip, even when wearing gloves. You get a maximum output of 130-Lumen, with a throw of 250+ feet. The device takes a single AA-battery, providing runtimes of up to 22-hours from a single cell.
- 160-Lumen max output
- Compact 4″ aircraft-grade aluminum
- IPX8 rating for full water resistance
- Precision machined case
- Tactical rear switch
- A little large
The Maglite is a classic brand, and we all remember the long police flashlights that were a trend back in the 90s and 00s. The Maglite Solitaire offers you a slimline version of the world’s most popular tactical torch.
- Superior quality craftsmanship with weather-resistant seals and anodized inside and out for improved corrosion resistance
- Adjustable and powerful light beam that makes a useful gift and fits perfectly into pockets, purses, attache cases, etc.
- Compact design includes a premium alkaline battery with keychain lanyard and a spare lamp safely inside the tailcap
- A premium drop resistant and water resistant flashlight renowned for its quality, durability and reliability
- Advanced lighting instrument made in America and built tough enough to last a lifetime making it suitable for camping, climbing, fishing, hunting, etc.
- Works off AAA-battery
- Made in the USA
- Powerful adjustable beam
- Lanyard included
- Good choice for camping and hunting trips
- IPX7 water-resistant rating
- Anodized interior for corrosion resistance
- No multi-mode functionality
For something completely different, check out the unique design on the MecArmy model.
This keychain flashlight features an ergonomic design, with a TC4 titanium chassis and CREE XP-G2 S4 LED. You get a 360-Lumen output from this model, with CNC precision-machined chassis and comfortable grip.
- High-quality material -- This mini flashlight is made of TC4 Titanium, it has adopted CNC precision machining, anti-scratch double-coated lens, smooth reflector. It is able to withstand bad weather, has IPX-6 waterproof performance,1.5 meters impact resistance, does not worry about accidentally drop on the floor.
- Lightweight -- This keychain flashlight is only 2.6 inches in length, the compact size flashlight provided by MecArmy. It utilizes CREE XP-G2 S4 LED, powered by 120mAh rechargeable lithium polymer battery, max output is 360 lumens, and max beam distance of 210ft.
- Five lighting modes -- This pocket flashlight has a unique titanium switch that prevents accidental activation, adopted low-Medium-high, turbo, and strobe 5 modes. Triple clicks to access Turbo mode, click again for strobe. It is tiny lightweight but incredibly bright, a must-have EDC flashlight for your collection. Or it is an ideal gift for your friends or kids.
- Overheat protection -- This edc flashlight is adopted overheat protection system, no need to worry about destroying the flashlight. has a 120mAh rechargeable lithium-polymer battery, just takes 1.4 hours to finish the charge. And the max runtime of 8 hours, giving you a long use time.
- What you get -- Every MecArmy flashlight comes with a 2 Years Free Repair Warranty and quick response customer service. If you have any questions, please contact us through Amazon message. With a fast customer service response, your problem will be solved within 24h. Package content: 1*FL02 Flashlight, 1*user manual.
The flashlight has an 8-hour runtime, with multiple modes and USB charging. We like that you get strobe functionality with this torch, and the 2.6″ length of the flashlight provides compact carry. You won’t even notice it’s in your pocket, with this model weighing less than an ounce.
- Unique design characteristics
- Made from TC4 titanium
- 360-Lumen output
- 8-hour max runtime
- Ergonomically designed to fit in your hand
- IPX5 waterproofing
- The design isn’t for everyone
If you’re looking for an affordable keychain flashlight for your car, this is the model for you.
The Streamlight Nano is the perfect option for finding your phone after it slips out of your pocket in the driver’s seat.
You get 10-Lumens and decent battery life. However, don’t expect this torch to do much outside of your vehicle. The chassis features design and construction with anodized aircraft-grade aluminum, and it comes in four colors.
- 8-hour battery life
- Only measure 1.5-inches in length
- No extra functions
- Weak light beam
Other Best Selling Options
- No Standalone lithium batteries are sold with the product
- Bright white LED with high and low mode: High: 325 lumens; 76m beam; runs 20 minutes Low: 45 lumens; 28m beam; runs 1 hour
- Spring-loaded clip with carabiner shape hangs cleanly on key rings, zippers, lanyards, etc
- Conveniently charges via USB power source, Lithium polymer battery charges in 4 hours
- Multi-function push-button switch with charger indicator LED: Red = charging; Green = charged
- 【Super Bright flashlight】With stable performance and low power consumption, it can provide a uniform high-brightness beam and a wider range of illumination to meet your daily needs.
- 【4 Lighting Modes & Zoomable】One button control of 4 lighting modes: High/Low/Strobe/SOS. The zoomable design of the flashlight adjusts the focus as needed, giving you the freedom to choose a spotlight or floodlight for long distances or larger illuminated areas.
- 【USB Rechargeable】Built-in 1800mAh can work up to 16 hours in normal use. You can charge this flashlight directly via the included USB cable.
- 【Durable and Portable】The flashlight shell is made of high quality aluminum alloy with excellent hardness, wear resistance and drop resistance. The pocket is designed for easy portability and can fit in your handbag, backpack or survival kit.
- 【Multiple Uses】The kit includes: 1*Rechargeable Flashlight, 1*USB Cable. The lightweight and practical LED flashlight can be widely used for daily lighting, power outages, emergencies, etc. It can also be used for outdoor sports such as dog walking, camping, hiking, fishing, running.
- Compact & Lightweight: K1 keychain flashlight is very small and lightweight, making it easy to carry and useful for outdoor, night-time or emergency situations.
- High Brightness: K1 AAA flashlight provides 180lm outputs, making it easy for you to engage in various activities in low-light environments, such as finding keys, walking at night, etc.
- Multiple Applications: This keychain light is ideal for various scenarios, including night walks, camping, outdoor sports, tourism, etc., making it an indispensable companion for your outdoor life.
- Gift-giving: This small flashlight keychain has a sleek appearance, making it suitable for gifting friends, family, or colleagues as both practical and stylish.
- Excellent Craftsmanship: UltraTac flashlights are crafted from top-quality materials and designed with a focus on product quality and user experience, ensuring reliable performance and long-term durability.
- Ultra-bright Keychain Flashlight: Each LED keychain light offers 12 lumens of brightness and 100,000 hours’ life-span. Perfectly light up areas up to 33 feet!
- 2 Ways to Use: Press the button briefly to start the instant light, while slide the On/Off switch backwards will activate continuous lighting to free your hands.
- Replaceable Batteries: Each keychain flashlight is equipped with 2 CR2016 button batteries. Each battery withstands 12 hours of continuous use and can be easily taken out for replacement.
- Light & Portable: Size: 1.6" L x 0.9" W; Weight: 0.25 oz. Easily attach the mini LED light to your keychain with the split ring and carry it around wherever you like.
- Wide Applications: Contain 7 mini LED flashlights altogether. Excellent lighting tools for outdoor night parties, camping, hiking, dog walking, repairing or emergencies.
- Mini & Powerful - as small as your thumb finger, the tiny flashlight gives out max 900 lumens, lighting a large area as football field, beam reaches out 100 meters max. You can attach it with your key ring, use it as EDC tool for dog walking, jogging etc.
- Easy Charge & Long Lasting - built-in 500mAh lithium battery and come with Type-C fast charging port, about 90 minutes fast charging, can be used up for 72 hours(low light mode).
- Easy to Use - The main light of our mini flashlight has 4 different brightness modes. Double-click to turn on the main light, and click to switch the light mode: high light - medium light - Low light - Energy saving mode - long press off. Long press the side light to turn it on, and release to turn off. Double-click to turn on the side light, click to switch purple light/Red light/red flash/Red blue flash, and long press to turn off.
- Ready for All Weather - The LED flashlight is made of an aviation-grade aluminum alloy and can reach IP65 waterproof level (soaking in water for a long time is not recommended) , These allow our mini flashlight can withstand most of earthquakes, heavy rain, heavy snow and other extreme weather events.
- Magnetic Tail Cap - The has been designed with a magnetic tail cap and pocket clip, making it possible to put the light on any metal surface. Then the pocket clip can be used to hang the light on a hat, pants or general EDC carrying tools. It’s an overall excellent flashlight to carry around.
Keychain Flashlight Buyer’s Guide
After a closer inspection of our top models, you should have an idea of the best keychain flashlight to suit your needs. In this section, we’ll give you some more handy information on choosing the right model for you.
What Do I Look for In a Keychain Flashlight?
When compiling the keychain flashlights for this review, we went through offerings from nearly 30-brands to come up with these eight models. When selecting our top picks, we used the following criteria to qualify each of the models.
- Brightness outputs
- Charging convenience
- Carry functionality
The result is the best EDC (Everyday Carry) keychain flashlights available. Let’s give you more insight on what to look for when selecting your keychain flashlight.
Length and Weight
When settling on your ideal EDC keychain flashlight, focus on finding a balance between a compact and lightweight torch, and the housing. A lightweight torch is great, but if you drop it on the floor and it smashes into pieces, that’s not a good flashlight for an EDC.
Look for models that come with a drop rating of at least 3-feet. You’re looking for a lightweight and compact torch, so you need something that’s a few inches in length and clips to your keychain or your belt for easy access.
Today’s keychain flashlights pack plenty of functionality into a small package. Look for models that come with multiple modes. The best torches feature two or three lighting modes, allowing you to adjust the beam’s intensity. This functionality helps you save on battery time.
Some tasks require more lighting than others. For example, walking the dog at night requires bright light, while checking to see where you dropped your wallet in the car only requires a few lumens.
Keeping your torch charged and ready to go is an important responsibility. The last thing you need to happen is for your flashlight to fail when you need it most.
The USB charging allows you to keep the flashlight ready to go at a moment’s notice. Keep an eye out for fast-charging models that offer a full charge in a few hours—many of the torches in this review feature USB-charging for easy maintenance on-the-go.
Some models feature traditional battery power. Ensure you have the right batteries for your torch and keep a spare set in your car or other areas around the house for emergencies.
Belt and Pocket Clips
While the title of this review says “the best keychain flashlight,” these models can also clip to your belt. Look for housings with belt clip attachments. If you’re leaving the house without your keys, you can take your torch with you.
Other Notable Features
Look for models that feature multiple lighting modes that include turbo and strobe functions. Tactical tail buttons are a good choice when using a reverse grip on the flashlight. Your flashlight should come with fixed brightness modes or dials that allow for the light beam’s manual focus.
Keychain Flashlight FAQs
What are the top uses of a keychain flashlight?
A keychain flashlight comes in handy more often than you think it might. You can use it to locate items in the car or tight spaces. It makes a good emergency light if your phone goes dead, or you need to look in the engine of your car while talking on the phone.
What are the best brands of keychain flashlights?
We like the brands in this review. Nitecore is an example of one of the leading brands in the self-defense and home security industry. Maglite and Prometheus are also household names in flashlights.
What can I expect to pay for a keychain flashlight?
A keychain flashlight can cost you anything from $5 to $100, depending on the model and the brand. You get what you pay for, so expect to pay more than $40 if you want a functional EDC keychain flashlight.
Where’s the best place to buy a keychain flashlight?
We recommend picking up your flashlight from Amazon or another online retailer. You get a satisfaction guarantee through Amazon, and you won’t have any trouble getting a refund using this platform.
Keychain Flashlights – The Verdict
By now, you should have a good idea of the right keychain flashlight to suit your needs. If you’re still battling with settling on your flashlight, why not rely on our top choices?
- The Nitecore TIP 2 wins our top spot as the best overall keychain flashlight in this review. The powerful 720-Lumen beam and dual-mode functionality make it a reliable and effective torch you can use as an EDC.
- The Prometheus Lights Beta keychain flashlight is the best premium model in this review. With a sleek design and manufacture with premium materials, this model has everything you need in a keychain flashlight.
- The Klarus Mi2 rounds out our review of the best keychain flashlights. This budget model is affordable and functional.