While holographic sights do tend to be more expensive than conventional weapons sights, including red dot, the benefits are so great that many shooters feel that the additional cost is worth their while.
Given the many advantages that holo sights offer, their popularity, as mentioned, has soared, and now, there are tons of different models to choose from. If you’re interested in purchasing a holographic sight, all you have to do is head to a sporting goods store or visit an online retailer and you’ll find numerous options from many different manufacturers.
In an effort to make the process of purchasing a holographic sight easier for you, we’ve taken the liberty of doing the research for you.
In this guide, you’ll find a collection of reviews of our top picks, which highlight the key features of each sight. We also include a handy buyer’s guide, which details the key factors that you should take into consideration to help you decide which model to choose.
We wrap things up by answering questions to some of the most common questions consumers have about holographic weapon sights. With the information presented in this guide, you should be able to find the best option to suit your specific needs and increase your targeting capabilities.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Holographic Sight Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Holographic Sight Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Holographic Sight FAQs
- 6 Conclusion
In a rush and don’t have the time to read through all of the details? If so, this section is for you! Here, you’ll find short reviews of our top picks for the best holographic sights in three key categories.
Best Pick: EOTECH 512 Holographic Weapon Sight
- Mount: 1" weaver or Mil-Std 1913 rail
- Brightness: 20 settings
- Water Resistance: 10 feet (3 meters)
EOTECH is one of the most trusted manufacturers in the weapons sight industry, and their EOTECH 512 Holographic Weapon Sight perfectly illustrates why they’re so illustrious. Their most popular holo sight – and one of the most popular holo sights on the market overall – the 512 is specifically designed for tactical and recreational shooters, as well as for personal defense. It’s mountable to a 1 inch Weaver or MIL-STD-1913 rail for outstanding convenience. Powered by either 1.5 volt AA batteries, including lithium ion, alkaline, and rechargeable batteries, you’ll have plenty of power to enjoy continuous hours of shooting.
Premium Pick: EOTECH HHS II Holographic Hybrid Sight
- EOTECH HHS I - Holographic Hybrid Sight includes EXPS3-4 sight wth G33 Magnifier
- Quick Transitions - Change quickly from close quarter to medium range targets with the included G33 Magnifier and Switch-to-Side mount
- Night Vision Campatible - Works with all Gen 1-3 night vision devices. Water Resistant - Submersible to 33 ft (10 m) depth
- Side Button Operations - Compact design and side button operation consumes minimal rail space. Fog resistant internal optics sealing
- EOTECH HWS Prestige Warranty - Comes with 10 year limited warranty
For shooters who are looking for a high-end holo weapons sight and have extra money to spare, the EOTCH HHS II Holographic Hybris Sight is an outstanding choice. It includes an EXPS2-2 sight with a G33 magnifier that allow for fast and highly accurate precision. The compact design of the sight with the side placement of the buttons make operation a cinch. With a quick switch-to-side (STS) mount and iron-sight backup, it offers effortless engagement of the 3X magnifier so that you’re always in control. Constructed of rugged materials, this sight can meet the demands of even the harshest conditions.
Budget Pick: DD Dagger Defense DDHB Red Dot Reflex Sight
- Both red and green dot, four position reticles
- Equipped with a locking set screw to stabilize your sighting adjustments (use only if needed and turn 1-2 times clockwise only)
- APERTURE：33mm LENGTH：82mm WEIGHT： 291g FIELD OF VIEW： 15.8m@100m
- 1x Type Red Dot & Green Dot Sight scope, CR2032 Battery- 1x Instruction Manual- 2x Allen Wrench- 1x Lens Cleaning Cloth
For shooters who are looking for a top-of-the-line, high-quality, reliable, and easy to use holo sight, the DD Dagger Defense DDHB Red Dot Reflex Sight is an outstanding choice. It features both red and green dot four position reticles and is equipped with a locking set screw to stabilize the sighting adjustments. With a 33 mm aperture length, weighing 291 grams, and offering a 15.8@100m field of view, this holographic sight is extremely reliable and easy to use. It comes equipped with 1 red dot and 1 green dot sight, a CR2032 battery, a lens cleaning cloth, an Allen wrench, and an easy to follow instruction manual, the DD Dagger Defense DDHB Red Dot Reflex Sight has everything you need to start using it right out of the box.
Holographic Sight Reviews
Now that we’ve provide you with a brief overview of our top picks for the best overall, best premium, and best budget holographic weapons sights, let’s dive in a little deeper and explore a bit further.
In this section, you’ll find more detailed overviews of each of the above-mentioned holo sights, as well as a few additional top-quality models. In addition to providing more detailed descriptions of each of our picks, we’ve also included a list of pros and cons for each model so that you can get a better understanding and determine which holo sight will best suit your specific needs.
EOTECH 512 Holographic Weapon Sight
EOTECH, as mentioned, is one of the most trusted manufacturers of weapons sights, and their 512 holographic weapon sight is their most popular model. This ruggedly constructed sight is made of high-grade material to ensure that it will stand up to all types of wear and tear with ease.
With 20 brightness settings that are powered by buttons that are situated on the rear of the sight and can be accessed by both left- and right-hand shooters, you’ll be able to enjoy hunting from dawn to dusk with ease.
Water resistant up to 10 feet, you don’t have to worry about it being impacted by the elements.
Powered by two 1.5 volt AA batteries, including alkaline, rechargeable, and CR123, you’ll always have easy access to great shooting power.
- Rugged construction and reliably durable
- Operational buttons are placed at the rear of the sight, providing easy access for both left- and right-handed shooters
- 20 brightness settings for dawn-to-dusk shooting
- Super-fast target acquisition
- Mountable to a 1 inch Weaver or MIL-STD-1913 rail
- Powered by 1.5 volt AA batteries
- Backed by a 10 year limited warranty
EOTECH HHS II Holographic Hybrid Sight
Like our pick for the best overall holographic sight, our pick for the best premium model is also made by EOTECH. Their HHS II EXPS2-2 with G33 Magnifier allows you to transition from targets both near and far with pinpoint precision and laser speed.
Thanks to the G33 magnifier, you’ll have an incredible advantage that you can always rely on. With a quick switch-to-side (STS) mount and an iron-sight backup, it’s the shortest EOTECH sight and it offers effortless engagement of up to 3X magnification so that you can be in control in any setting.
With lighting fast target acquisition, rugged construction, and water resistant up to 10 feet, you can depend on this holographic sight in all types of settings. To allow for quick adjustability in any situation, the EXPS2 HWS features 20 brightness settings in standard operating mode.
You can also quickly change from close quarter to medium range targets with the G33 magnifier and switch to side mount. It’s also mountable to a 1 inch Weaver or MIL-STD-1913 rail.
- Rugged construction that can stand up to all types of wear and tear
- Water-resistant in up to 10 feet of water
- Features an EXPS2-2 with a G33 magnifier
- Quick switch-to-side (STS) mount and iron-sight backup, engagement of the 3x magnifier is effortless
- Can be mounted to a 1 inch Weaver or MIL-STD-1913 rail
- Features 20 brightness settings in standard operating mode
- 3x magnification and 2.2 inch eye relief
DD Dagger Defense DDHB Red Dot Reflex Sight
The DDHB Red Dot Reflex Sight from DD Dagger Defense is proof that you don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a top-quality and reliable holographic sight.
Key features include a red and green dot and four position reticles, as well as a locking set screw that’s used to adjust and stabilize the elevation, which is based on the movement of the target; for instance, adjusting up indicates that the target moves up, not the reticle.
Additionally, the DDHB windage can be adjusted using the included hex wrench, and the windage adjustment is based on the movement of the target; for instance, when you adjust right, the target moves to the right, not the reticle.
A rotary knob provides three functions: retical color selection (red or green); fade adjustment (brightness); batter compartment for a CR2032 battery. Of course, as you would expect from a high-quality holo sight, the DD Dagger Defense DDHB Red Dot Reflex Sight is extremely durable, as it’s constructed of aircraft grade aluminum and has a fan ergonomic design that allows you to save space on the rail of your weapon for additional accessories.
- Constructed of aircraft-grade aluminum and features a fan ergonomic design
- Outfitted with a locking screw set that stabilize the sighting adjustment of the red or green dot
- Windage and elevation can be adjusted using the included hex wrench
- A rotary knob serves three functions: retical color selector, fade adjustment, and acts as the compartment for the included CR2032 battery
- Very easy to use
- Provides pinpoint targeting precision
- Very affordably priced
EOTECH EXPS3 Holographic Weapon Sight
Next on our list of the best holographic sights is another option from EOTECH. Their EXPS3 Holographic Weapon Sight is specifically designed for close-quarter engagements with fast-moving targets and allows you to have two eyes opened while shooting.
Night vision compatible with all Gen 1-3 night vision devices, you’ll always have a clear view of your target. Thanks to the compact design with side button operation that takes up minimal rail space, this holo sight is ideal to use with a G33 magnifier and makes it incredible easy to install and remove.
Made of high-grade materials, it’s built to withstand all whatever you throw it’s way, including moisture, as it’s water-resistant and ca be submersed in up to 33 feet of water.
Rounding out the features are 20 daylight settings and 10 additional settings for Gen 1 through Gen 3, and a CR123 battery, which has a life expectancy of 1,000 continuous hours at a nominal setting.
- Rugged construction and can stand up to all types of wear and tear
- Water submersible in up to 33 feet of water
- Allows for two eyes opened shoting
- 7mm raised base for lower iron sight access
- Night vision compatible
- Side buttons and adjustable quick-detach locking lever allows for easy installation and removal
- Delivers lighting fast target acquisition
- Powered by a CR123 battery that delivers up to 1,000 continuous hours of power
- Mountable to a 1 inch Weaver or MIL-STD-1913 rail
EOTECH XPS2-0 Holographic Red Dot Sight
Another holo sight from EOTECH, the XPS2-0 Holographic Red Dot Sight is just as high-quality, reliable, and thoughtfully made as the rest of the manufacturers products. The holographic sight is contained a hard case and comes with 2 CR123 batteries, and a light junction battery box.
It features a 68 MOA ring and 1 MOA dot reticle that allows for fast and accurate target locking. With 20 daylight brightness settings, you can quickly adjust the lighting to accommodate whatever type of setting you’re in and get the perfect sight.
The on/off button, as well as the brightness adjustment switches, are situated on the side of the sight, allowing for super easy operation. It can mount to a 1 inch Weaver and an MIL-STD-1913 rail and features an aluminum hood, so it won’t weigh your firearm down.
Constructed of super-durable materials and water-resistant in up to 10 feet of water, this holographic sight can take on virtually anything that comes its way. Powered by a CR123 battery, which comes included with the sight, you’ll have enough power for 1,000 continuous hours of use at a nominal setting.
- Short size and lightweight design for easy operation and leaves more rail space for rear iron sights and magnifiers
- Powered by a single CR123 battery, which is included
- 68 MOA right with 1 MOA dot allows for three usable aiming points
- Features a quick detach lever
- On/off and brightness adjustment switches are situated on the side of the sight
- Elevation and windage adjustment settings are also on the side
- Water-resistant up to 10 feet
- Features 20 adjustable daylight settings
AJDGL 1x22mm Tactical Reflex Mini Red Dot Sight Optical Holographic Scope
Last, but certainly not least, on our list of the best holographic sights is the AJDGL 1x22mm Tactical Reflex Mini Red Dot Sight. The parallax free design makes the red dot stay right on the target, no matter where the eye of the shooter may be, and offers unlimited eye relief for fast targeting.
The green multi-layer coated lenses allows the tactical compact scope to shoot at a target quickly and precisely with incredibly high light transmission and resolution. Constructed of aircraft grade aluminum construction ensures that the red dot reflex sight will stand up to extreme conditions; it’s water-resistant and shockproof, too.
With four brightness level settings, you can achieve pinpoint accuracy from dusk to dawn. Thanks to the built-in 22mm rail, this scope can be mounted to a Picatinny or Weaver rail, and installation and removal takes virtually no time.
Other key features including a 15.8@100M field of view and a coating method of multilayer blue film, an anti-glare reflective coating on the front lens, and parallax correction with unlimited vision relief, making the AJDGL 1x22mm Tactical Reflex Mini Red Dot Sight Optical Holographic Scope with Adjustable Brightness an outstanding choice.
- Parallax-free design allows the red dot to stay on target, regardless of where the shooter’s eye is positioned, allowing for unlimited eye relief for fast targeting
- Features green multi-layer coated lenses that allows for fast and precise target shooting with high light transmission and resolution
- Constructed of aircraft-grade aluminum
- Water-resistant and shockproof
- Four brightness levels so that you can achieve pinpoint accuracy from dusk to dawn
- Built-in 22mm rail make this scope easy to mount to any Picatinny or Weaver rail
- Full wind height adjustment
- Suitable to use on all terrains and in all weather conditions
- Very affordably priced
Other Best Selling Options
- The Holosun HS510C New advanced technology LED allows up to 50,000 hours of operation on one CR2032 battery
- 2 MOA dot and a 65 MOA ring, Dot only, Ring only, or Dot and Ring reticle combinations
- Unlimited field of view, Titanium-alloyed, shock resistant hood
- Powered by both battery and solar
- QD mount integrated for easy mounting and removal
- Magnification: 1x; obj. aperture: 33mm; parallax corrected and unlimited eye-relief
- Red sight laser and dual illuminated reflex sight with four reticle types help you aim and shoot accurately
- Tubeless design with 33mm reflex lens aperture provides a wide field of view, quite suitable for rapid-firing and shooting of moving targets
- Comes with the switch button and the pressure pad switch, you can choose one of them towards different situation to operate the laser more easily
- This laser dot reflex sight scope fits standard 20mm weaver and Picatinny rails. Laser class is II
- Red and green switching: red and green dot sights with -10 brightness levels.
- Power safety function: the power can be automatically turned off within 2 hours-easy to set up.
- Suitable for: Suitable for any 20mm tactical rail.
- Quality material: shockproof and weatherproof material
- Tubeless design with 42mm reflex lens aperture provides quick target acquisition, also a wider field of view to maintain situational awarenes.
- 4 Selectable reticles and 5 brightness settings. Low power consumption for long battery life.
- Parallax corrected & unlimited eye-relief. Fully adjustable height, brightness, windage and elevation. Where the dot goes, so does the bullet!
- Simple, fast, and effective. The flip-to-side picatinny rail mount to allow you to shoot either 1X or other 1.5-5X magnification by simply pushing the magnifier to the side.
- Adjustable magnification from 1.5x to 5x. Quickly transition between short-range and long-range shooting scenarios.
- Suitable for: Suitable for any 20mm tactical rail.
- roduct advantages: Pulling the mobile wrench can realize the quick disassembly and installation of the product. Very simple, convenient and practical
- package including: 1 x cleaning cloth,1 x English manual ,1 x red/green dot holographic sight ( NOT including battery for shipment)
- Quality material: shockproof and weatherproof material
Holographic Sight Buyer’s Guide
For marksmen who are looking to improve their target-locking skills, there are a lot of different tools to choose from that are designed to assist with doing just that. In recent years, the popularity of holographic weapons sights have become increasingly popular among shooters who want to enhance their ability to quickly and accurately lock in on a target.
That’s because, unlike conventional optical scopes, such as red dot sights, which require the shooter to have their eye aligned with the scope so as to be able to situate the reticle on top of the target, with holographic (are simply “holo”) sights, a shooter’s head doesn’t have to be perfectly aligned with the sight.
When a holographic sight is used, the reticle is always situated on the target wherever the weapon is pointed. If the weapon is moved to right or the left, the reticle is still positioned at aim.
That’s because what you are seeing through a holo sight isn’t real, but rather a reconstruction of the view. Furthermore, the reticle that the shooter sees isn’t actually in the sight; instead, it’s a projection of the reticle image. In other words, instead of reflecting a dot in front of your eyes, like a conventional red dot sight does, a holographic sight uses a laser to establish a holographic reticle that appears between the shooter and the target.
Now that you’ve read through our list of the best holographic sights, you’re probably wondering which one to choose. While each of the models featured on our list are high-quality, well-made, durable, and reliable, some will be better suited to meet your needs than others.
So how do you decide which one will work best for you? – By taking some key factors into consideration. In this guide, we highlight some of the most essential factors that you should consider before you start shopping for a holographic sight.
First and foremost, you should consider the size of the holographic sight. While all holo sights basically perform the same function, the size of the weapon is very important, as it will determine which sight is right for you.
For instance, if you have a small handgun, a smaller holographic sight will be better for you, while if you have a larger rifle, a larger sight will work better for you. In the end, how well you perform with the sight is what matters most, but you do always want to ensure that the size of the sight will work with your weapon.
The construction of the sight is also extremely important. It needs to have recoil resistance, otherwise there’s a good chance that it could become damaged or it could fall off while you’re using it; or, if you use it on a repeated basis and fire several rounds at a time and the body of the sight doesn’t offer good recoil resistance, it will generate an opposite force and you could end up using your balance.
Holographic sights also need to be very durably constructed. It should be made of high-quality materials that are very durable, yet are also lightweight, so as not to weigh down your weapon.
Aircraft-grade aluminum is one of the most commonly used materials in holographic sights, as it is both durable and lightweight. The materials should also be positioned in a way that the holographic sight is shock-resistant, water-resistant, fog-proof, and corrosion-resistant.
The type of the reticle that the holographic sight is outfitted with is also a very important element to consider. There are different reticle designs that are intended for different purposes.
For example, sights that will be used for close range should feature a reticle with large MOA circles, for sights that will be used with medium to long-range shots should feature red dot reticles, and those that will be used for fast moving objects should again feature large MOA circles.
Before you purchase a holographic sight, check to see if it has the type of reticle that you require. With that said, however, some holographic sights are outfitted with functional reticles that have a series of reticles that can be changed out according to your specific needs.
The Aperture Window
The aperture window of a holographic sight is the element of the accessory that allows you to see the filed with the reticle in holographic sight. One of the most important features of these accessories is that they allow you to shoot while keeping both of your eyes opened so that you can avoid any blind spot.
With that said, you are going to want to select a sight that has a good window aperture; ideally, 20 to 35 yards of view would be considered a good one.
The brightness options of a holographic sight is another important factor that you’re going to want to consider. If the brightness level is too high, it’s going to wash out your target, and if it’s too low, you aren’t going to be able to get a clear view.
Therefore, it’s important to select a holographic sight that has a wide brightness setting and will allow you to adjust the brightness according to your specific needs so that you can hone in on your target and achieve precise shots, no matter what the setting.
The battery level of a holographic sight is another element that you’re going to want to take into consideration. The better the battery life, the longer you’ll be able to use it; for example, with better battery life, you can stay out for longer hunting trips.
If you prefer, you can look for a holographic sight that has a programmable auto-sleep or power saving mode that will help to conserve battery life.
Night Vision Compatibility
Some holographic sights on the market are outfitted with night vision settings. With these features, the sight is compatible with all brightness intensifiers and will allow you to achieve the clearest field of vision, even in complete darkness. As such, if you intend on shooting at night, you should seriously consider looking for a holo sight that offers this option.
Red Dot Sight Magnifier
This is a great accessory, as it allows you to add magnification to your red dot setup. This feature can be useful for when you’re shooting further distances or at smaller targets. If the red dot sight that you’re using has a reticle with various holds for drop, a red dot sight magnifier is a great addition. The majority of magnifiers are 3x or 4x and have boast a flip side to mount so that you can easily switch between the magnifications.
Lastly, you should consider your budget. As you can see from our reviews, holographic sights can vary largely in price, from $1,000 or more on the high side to less-than $100 on the lower end.
Because prices vary so widely, you’re going to want to set your budget before you start shopping so that you can avoid overspending. Do note: the more features the holo sight offers, the higher the price tag will be.
Holographic Sight FAQs
What can I use holographic sight on?
Holographic sights can be beneficial in close quart combat scenarios, as well as when you’re hunting for certain types of game, such as turkeys and deer. Most high-end sights have a shock rating that can be used on AR-15, AR-10, AK-47, SCAR 17, and most shotguns; there are options for pistols, as well.
What are the benefits of using a holographic optic?
Many marksmen think that holographic sights offer distinct advantages over red dot sights, as they allow the shooter to locate a reticle faster than they would be able to with a red dot sight. Because it appears to be projected in front of the optic and it isn’t reflected in the eye and it may be easier to focus on the reticle.
Are there any disadvantages to using a holographic sight?
The primary disadvantage of using a holographic sight is that they tend to be more expensive than more traditional sights, such as red dot. They also tend to use more battery power to accommodate the massive load that the laser requires.
With a holographic sight, you can increase your accuracy and improve your shot from all distances and in all environments and light settings. With all of the information in this guide, you should be able to choose the highest quality holographic sight for your specific needs.