Every prepper needs a gas mask. 2020 is rolling on, bringing one calamity after another. The global pandemic, along with continued civil unrest and the worst wildfires in history, presents a triple threat to your health and safety. It turns out preppers aren’t the only people that can benefit from owning gas masks in this day and age.
A gas mask can come in handy in any of these situations, preventing damage to your respiratory system from smoke, pathogens, and tear gas. Most gas masks come with a full-face design, providing facial protection from exposure to various nasty organic and inorganic substances.
If you want the best protection for you and your family, a gas mask could save your life in an emergency or riot. Why risk breathing in aerosols carrying airborne pathogens when a gas mask provides you protection from infection?
A gas mask is an essential piece of kit for anyone looking to prepare for coming events in the new normal. A raging pandemic, electoral instability, social unrest, and continued climate issues mean things are likely to get worse as we move forward into the future.
Staying prepared with essential items like gas masks means you reduce the risk of respiratory damage to you and your family members in a crisis. We put together this review looking for the best gas mask. Currently, inventory is tight with most suppliers, and most models are challenging to find, thanks to the triple threat of fire, virus, and riots.
However, we managed to find a few great models that are in stock right now at Amazon. Don’t delay; get you and your family the best gas mask for protection against an uncertain future.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Gas Mask Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Gas Mask Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Gas Mask FAQs
- 6 Gas Mask Reviews – The Verdict
If you want the best protection you can find, and you want it fast, skip the rest of the review. One of our top picks is all you need for the best gas mask for you and your family. These three options represent the best models we could find online.
You have options at any price point, with models suitable for universal protection against biological threats, chemical weapons, and organic aerosols like smoke. Choose the model that suits your requirements and your budget.
Best Pick: Holulo Eyes Full Face Cover
- 💋Material:Silicone material,soft,durable and easy to clean.
- 💋Unique sound transmission device, work and communication are correct.
- 💋Protection Object: organic gases and vapors;The perfect cover Suitable for Painting,Staining,Car Spraying,Sanding &Cuttin, Against dust
- 💋Impact resistant and full face impact resistant lens, Lightweight well-balanced design
- 💋Including-1*Cover ,2*Accessories;CANNOT BE WORN WITH GLASSES
This full-face gas mask is ideal for use in heavy smoke conditions during wildfires. It also provides great protection from tear gas and chemical threats, and even scrubs viruses out of the air. You get a domed lens with impact resistance to protect your eyes and double air filters that remove 99.97% of all airborne particles—you geta 5-pint silicone headband for a secure fit and easy communication from the built-in sound device.
Premium Pick: MIRA SAFETY Survival Gas Mask
- QUALITY: CERTIFIED Premium MIRA SAFETY Professional Full Facepiece Respirator Mask provides protection of respiratory organs, eyes and face from vaporous and gaseous harmful substances and aerosols contained in the air of working zone
If you’re looking for the best premium gas mask for your family, this MIRA SAFTEY model is an excellent choice. Built for rugged use, you get a breathable head pad and secure silicone strap system, with a reinforced lens and built-in communication system. This model comes with NBC-77 SOF Cartridges, providing long service life with effective operation removing 99.97% of all airborne particles. You get a water canteen included, with a drinking port in the mask. This mask is the best choice for any urban survival situation.
Budget Pick: NASUM 8200 Face Cover Gas Mask
If you’re looking for the best gas mask protection on a budget, we recommend this set from NASUM. You get a minimalist design, with a goggle and respirator setup melded into one unit. There’s a secure head strap, with goggles offering a wide field of view. The silicone skirting prevents anything from getting through to your eyes while safeguarding your vision from projectile threats. You get a dual-canister gas system with extra filters and accessories included with your purchase. This set in an affordable option offering you all the protection you need.
Gas Mask Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the top models in this review, let’s unpack them further. There are plenty of other models worthy of mentioning, and we included a few others to help you make your purchase decision.
After you finish reading the reviews, check out our buyers guide section. We’ll provide you with the information you need to choose the best gas mask to suit your preparedness needs.
Holulo Eyes Full Face Cover
This gas mask wins our award for the best overall model in this review. You get full face protection, with dual filters and high airflow through the mask for a comfortable fit.
The adjustable 5-point head strap provides a custom fit, with the wide-angle domed lens providing a good field of view.
The polycarbonate construction of the lens is shock and impact resistant, protecting your eyes. This gas mask comes with an accessory kit that includes spare filters.
Choose this model for protection against chemical and biological threats, as well as smoke inhalation. We like the communication diaphragm, making it easy to talk to your family while you’re on the move.
- Wide-angle domed lens for protection
- Impact-resistant design
- Full-face design
- Double-air filters and spare filters included
- An adjustable five-point head strap
- Sound transmission port for communications
- Lightweight design
- Double-layer silicone
MIRA SAFETY Survival Gas Mask
This model is the best premium gas mask available. You get a military-style design, with a wide-angle lens for excellent field-of-vision.
This lens features design and construction wit durable polycarbonate materials for impact resistance and eye protection.
You get a set of reliable NBC-77 SOF Cartridges, filtering out 99.97% of all airborne particles. This model includes a water canteen with a drinking port in the mask.
We like the adjustable 5-point head strap; with mesh backing, the mesh keeps you head cool and doesn’t pull on your hair.
This gas mask comes with a communication diaphragm, and the interior of the face mask features a spectacle kit for glasses. This gas mask is also compatible with military combat helmets.
- Wide-angle lens with impact resistance
- An adjustable 5-point head strap
- Spectacle kit for glasses
- Mesh head strap for breathability
- Reliable NBC-77 SOF Cartridges
- Canteen with water drinking port
- Communication diaphragm
NASUM 8200 Face Cover Gas Mask
This modular gas mask doesn’t offer full-face protection, but it’s a lightweight, compact model that effectively filters the air. You get a dual filter design with activated charcoal filters and spares included with your purchase.
This model is affordable, making it the best value deal in this review. You get a communication port included in the mask, along with a high airflow design for excellent ventilation.
This gas mask feature comes with durable goggles featuring a tough polycarbonate lens. You get a comfortable, adjustable head strap and a wide field of view.
The Nasum gas mask is a top choice for protection in riots and urban environments. You get a soft silicone trim for a comfortable fit and easy setup.
- Polycarbonate lenses for eye protection
- Ventilated goggles
- Adjustable comfort straps
- Dual filtration system
- Spare filters included
- Secure silicone heads strap
3M Ultimate FX Full Face Respirator
This full-face 3M model is a great choice for a gas mask. The wide lens comes with distortion-eliminating technology and tough polycarbonate material for easy cleaning and superior protection.
These gas masks are compatible with all 3M filters, featuring quick assembly and user-friendly operation.
This model comes with the 3M patented Cool Air Valve technology, providing high airflow and easy breathing, even when running.
The mask diverts your breath through the bottom of the unit, eliminating fogging. You get a passive voice diaphragm included for easy communications without removing the cover.
- Secure full-face fit
- Long-lasting head harness
- 3M Cool Flow Valve for high airflow
- Polycarbonate stain-resistant lens
- Large lens for a wide-angle view
- Easy setup and use
Supergum Israeli Gas Mask
This model features a classic military design, with mil-spec for the Israeli army. You get high-capacity 40mm air filters included, removing 99.97% of all airborne particles. This mask is suitable for combat and won’t fog up when running.
The dual-lens system gives a decent perspective, but we would prefer a full-face design as we are somewhat claustrophobic. However, this model provides excellent protection against chemical attacks, biological threats, and wildfire smoke.
You get a drinking straw included with the mask, and the high-capacity filter ahs a 20-year service life. The adjustable 5-point head strap provides a custom fit, and you get a lightweight design to reduce operator fatigue.
- Traditional military design
- 40mm filter included
- Professional-grade design and materials
- 20-year service life
- Drinking straw included
- An adjustable 5-point head strap
3M Full-Facepiece Respirator
This 3M model is another excellent choice for a gas mask. You get a wide-view polycarbonate lens that reduces distortion. The lens comes with excellent impact resistance, easy cleaning, and a non-scratch finish.
The 3M Cool Flow Valve technology makes it easy to breathe, even when running. We like the diverted breath port ensures your mask doesn’t fog. The adjustable head start features a 5-point harness system for a custom fit and full-face protection.
This 3M model is only compatible with 3M filters, readily available from a variety of online vendors. With this mask, you get excellent protection from chemical gasses, pathogens, and wildfire smoke.
- Full-face design with died viewing
- 3M Cool Flow Valve for easy breathing
- Directs exhaled breath downwards
- Integrated optical Correction
- An adjustable 5-point head strap
- Compatible with most 3M filters
PD-100 Full Face Gas Mask
This PD model is another excellent choice for the best gas mask. This model features design and construction in the USA, guaranteeing a quality product you can trust.
This mask is suitable for heavy-duty use, featuring dual activated charcoal air filters that remove 99.97% of airborne particles. This model is a great choice for protection against biological and chemical threats, and it’s also effective at filtering wildfire smoke.
You get a toughened domed polycarbonate lens, with impact-resistant and a wide field-of-view. The mask never fogs, offering high-capacity airflow and easy breathing.
This model includes a communication diaphragm, allowing you to speak freely without removing the mask. You get spare filters included with your purchase, and an adjustable 5-point head strap for a custom fit.
- Suitable for heavy-duty use
- Dual activated charcoal filters
- Full-face design
- A domed lens with impact resistance
- Communication diaphragm
- An adjustable 5-point head strap
- Made in the USA
- Money-back guarantee
Ataullah Full Face Gas Mask
This military-style gas mask is a great choice for maximum protection. Beat the wildfire smoke and prevent debris from entering your lungs, causing an infection.
You get a full-face design with a large capacity filter. This model has a service life of 20-years, providing protection from biological and chemical threats.
The toughened polycarbonate lens features a contoured design for a wide field-of-view., you get a scratch-free lends that are resistant to impacts.
This mask features an adjustable 5-pint harness for a custom fit, and you get a soft silicone foam trim for a tight seal on your face.
- Full face protection
- Wide-angle viewing lens
- Tough polycarbonate lens for impact resistance
- 20-year service life
- Communication diaphragm
- The exhalation valve points downward to prevent fogging
KISCHERS Combo Gas Mask Set
This combination set from KISCHERS is a great choice for your urban gas mask. This set up is a popular choice for the Hong Kong protesters, providing affordable and effective protection.
You get a toughened polycarbonate, scratch-free lens, with a vented design to prevent fogging. The goggles come with a silicone seal and adjustable head strap for a custom fit.
The gas mask section of the setup protects you from 99.97% of airborne particles. This gas mask comes with spare filters included with your purchase and a money-back guarantee.
- Affordable and effective protection
- Dual system design with gas mask and goggles
- Polycarbonate, vented lenses for anti-fogging
- Replaceable filters included
- Comfortable head strap
- Dual filtration technology
Other Best Selling Options
- COMFORTABLE & SEALED: The sealing edge of gas mаsk is made of high-quality silicone mixture material, which fits the face very well and the soft texture provides you with a comfortable wearing feeling
- APPLICABLE TO MULTIPLE FILTERS: Except the filter inside the package. Also suitable for P100 filter such as 2091 2078 2076 2071 2097 2291 2297 2296 2096 filter and 6001 6002 6003 6004 6005 6006 6009 6098 60926 60928 7093 etc. filter Cartridge. The connection port is the same as the 6000/7500/7800/FF-400/6000DIN V- series mаsk
- PROFESSIONAL FILTRATION: Dust mаsk has Dual Activated Charcoal filters & full face impact resistant lens. It will effectively eliminate any traces of organic chemical vapor or dust
- WIDE RANGE APPLICATIONS: Suitable for outdoor work, soldering, railway, fabrication, shooting, workshop, eye protection DIY, lab, chainsaw worker, cleaning, construction, desert, designer, electricians, infield work, engineers, laser, machining, mechanics, etc
- ADJUSTABLE COMFORT STRAP: Full Face cover and strap are suitable for most head sizes, designed for tight and comfortable wearing. Comprehensive anti-fog splashing to prevent any invasion of tiny substances
- 【Sealed & Comfortable】The sealing edge is made from food-grade elastic silicone gum, which fits the face well, provides you with a comfortable wearing feeling. This paint mask strap belt can be adjusted to fit for most head size, designed for tight and comfortable wearing.
- 【Professional & Double Protection】 The safety mask face cover for dust adopts double filtration system that can effectively obstruct 90% of organic vapor / gas, smoke, pollen, dust and other particles in the air. It is the ideal respiratory protective device for your life and work.
- 【Fully Adjustable Comfort Strap】 Face cover and safety glasses strap belt are suitable for most head sizes, designed for tight and comfortable wearing. Comprehensive anti-fog splashing to prevent any invasion of tiny substances. You can see everything you need to see.
- 【Widely Application】 This reusable mask makes the job done without frequent change. Work for science, outdoor work, soldering, railway, fabrication, sawfly, workshop, eye protection DIY, lab, chainsaw worker, construction, desert, electricians, infield work, engineers, laser, machining, mechanics, etc. It can prevent the dust particles from entering the respiratory tract.
- 【Package Includes】1x Half Face Cover, 2 x Filter boxes, 8 x Filters Cotton, 2 x Plastic Covers. We are committed to ensuring that you are 100% satisfied. If you have any questions, please contact us directly. We will provide great after-sale support.
- This gas mask helps to protect the face, eyes and respiratory system against chemicals and biological warfare agents
- The mask is designed for an FP-5 filter (NATO standard thread) and other filters with NATO standard threads can also be used
- It comes in a heavy-duty vinyl transport bag with multiple pockets and two nylon webbing straps with MOLLE compatible clip hooks
- Panoramic view
- Drinking tube system (DRINK TUBE NOT INCLUDED) and voice diaphragm
- PROFESSIONAL HEAVY DUTY FILTRATION SYSTEM – Dual Activated Charcoal filters & full face impact resistant lens.
- MULTI PURPOSE PROTECTION – The perfect mask for working with chemicals and other toxic substances. Including chemical laboratory, inspection equipment, and environmental technology
- USA DISTRIBUTED – HIGH QUALITY – Premium full-face mask. We have a 100% money back guarantee!
- FULL WARRANTY – Be confident in your investment! Visit our website to register or file claims.
- ENSURE TO REMOVE PROTECTIVE FACE MASK FILM FOR BEST VISIBILITY / CANNOT BE WORN WITH GLASSES
- Made of engineering strong TPU material, fits nicely on face and has a very comfortable EVA head & cheek cushioning pad.
- Detachable exhaust fan system, which is composed of two fans in the two "filters", reduces the accumulation of water vapor in the mask in case of mirror fogging. You can control the fan by the switch button on it.
- Shock resistant Engineering plastic, very tough and sturdy.
- High density nylon straps which can keep the mask stable in fierce competition. And adjustable straps fit different sized head.
- Excellent mask for paintball game or movie shooting, cosplay, CS, masquerade, Halloween, Zombie Soldiers. NOT FOR ANTIVIRUS PROTECTION!
Gas Mask Buyer’s Guide
What do you need to look for when purchasing a gas mask? Most of us aren’t military operators, and we have no training on how these masks work or the different types of filtration and visual systems. In this section, we’ll look at gas masks’ features and functions, allowing you to select the model suitable for your conditions.
What Is the History and Use of Gas Masks?
Early gas masks came from physicist John Tyndall chemist John Stenhouse in the early 1850s and 1870s. Garret Morgan patented the first modern gas mask called the “smoke hood” in 1914. Since the advent of the First World War, the military sought to create a way to avoid its troops’ poisoning through chemical warfare.
The modern versions of gas masks available today provide you with complete protection from any respiratory issues. Whether you need to protect your family from pathogens, stop smoke inhalation, or prevent chemical exposure, gas masks are essential PPE.
2020 brought us environmental, social, and political challenges, all adding to the growing uncertainty with the United States’ current social climate. Cities like Portland and New York saw violent protests, with police forced to use non-lethal riot control measures like tear gas.
Gas masks offer you protection from these chemical agents and eye protection from projectiles like gas canisters, causing blindness if you take a canister in the face.
Gas masks are handy for other environmental challenges. 2020 is bringing California the worst wildfires since 2017. With smoke pouring through neighborhoods, Southern California has the worst air quality in the world right now.
Taking your kids to school or going to the grocery store puts you and your family at risk of smoke exposure. Smoke inhalation damages your lungs, causing respiratory issues. With a gas mask, you have protection from smoke and fine ash particles when out in town.
As a final trifecta of disaster, 2020 saw the onset of the first global pandemic since the Spanish Flu, resulting in countries around the world instituting lockdowns to “flatten the curve.” An N95 respirator gas mask filters out 99.5% of all airborne particles, reducing your risk of exposure to dangerous pathogens.
What’s the Difference Between a Gas Mask and a Respirator?
A gas mask comes in a full-face design, offering protection for your entire face. The mask gives you protection against exposure to hazardous chemicals, biological agents, and wildfire smoke. The front piece of the mask features one or two air filters, consisting of activated charcoal and N95 filters. This filtration unit removes 99.97% of all airborne containments.
Most gas masks offer high-capacity airflow, so you can breathe freely, even when running. The venting on the mask diverts you breathe downwards, away from the lens. As a result, you don’t have to worry about fogging up the lenses with your breath.
A gas mask comes with replacement filters, allowing reuse of your mask after a light cleaning. The gas mask also features soft silicone seals that engulf your face, preventing air leaks inside the mask.
A respirator is a lightweight mask offering protection against some airborne containments. They aren’t as effective as gas masks for filtering smoke or viruses. Respirators like the 3M N95 mask provide limited protection, and there’s no attachment for your eyes; you’ll have to use goggles or glasses separately.
What are the Benefits of Wearing a Gas Mask?
If you’re going to find yourself in any of the situations involving tear gas, COVID, or wildfire smoke, a gas mask is going to come in handy. We recommend storing your mask at home and keep a backup in the car.
Exposure to chemicals can cause a variety of health problems for the individual. It’s common for the results of chemical exposure to cause severe disease and damage in the body, resulting in the following conditions.
- Organ damage
- Weak immune system
- Reproductive issues
- Congenital disabilities
- Mental impairment and cognitive issues
- Problems with physical development in children
As gas mask greatly reduces your risk of developing any of these conditions. While some masks might not offer 100% filtration of all particles, they provide better protection than wearing nothing.
Other problems like smoke inhalation and viral pathogens entering your airways are causes for concern in 2020. With the global pandemic raging across the planet, and California’s wildfires being the worst on record, you need to protect yourself and your family from respiratory problems.
COVID and Gas Masks
The first global pandemic since the Spanish Flu is causing economic destruction worldwide, claiming millions of lives. Can a gas mask help you avoid infection with SARS-CoV-2?
No, the reality is that the WHO and the CDC agree that masks and gas masks can’t stop infection with the virus. However, what masks can do is lower the inoculum exposure to the virus. That means you get fewer virus particles in your body on exposure to the pathogen.
As a result, you’re far more likely to have an asymptomatic experience with the disease. Or you’ll experience lessor symptoms than someone exposed with a higher inoculum from not wearing a mask.
Wildfires and Gas Masks
In 2020, California continues to burn as the winter approaches. The images of Los Angeles are incredible, with orange skies and buildings blanketed by thick plumes of smoke. Going outside in this kind of air quality is extremely bad for your health.
In 2017, during the worst wildfires in Californian history, people rushed to stores to buy respirator masks. The result was a fast sellout of these much-needed essentials. Gas masks help filter out ash in the air that ends up in your lungs, causing respiratory problems. A respirator or gas mask also mitigates the risk of smoke inhalation, protecting your health.
In 2020, we see the same thing with N95 respirators and gas masks. There are few suppliers with inventory, and the ones that do have stock are selling out fast. After settling on your ideal gas mask, we recommend making your purchase right away to avoid disappointment with your order.
Civil Unrest and Gas Masks
In 2020, the killing of George Floyd led to massive civil unrest and violent protests around the United States. With police deploying to areas like Portland to control the violence, they required the use of non-lethal deterrents like tear gas and pepper spray to contain the crowds.
The result is plenty of tear gas in the air and an innocent bystander chocking on the chemical cocktail. With the elections close, we can expect the civil unrest to continue and depending on the results, 2021 could be an interesting time in the United States.
Prepper needs to prepare for all events., and that means chemical weapons. If you’re fleeing to your bug out, and you must take your family through a riot, you’re going to need a gas mask for protection. The mask will keep you and your family safe from tear gas and pepper spray, allowing you to move safely through the chaos to your destination.
Top Tips for Choosing and Using Your Gas Mask
- You don’t need an expensive gas mask; you need an effective gas mask
- Look for gas masks with charcoal and N95 filters
- Get a high capacity gas mask for optimal airflow
- Look for models that expel your breath downwards, avoiding fogging
- Look for gas masks that have extra spares included with your purchase
- Get a gas mask with an unbreakable polycarbonate lens
- Gas masks offer better protection than respirators
- Some gas masks can run through up to 3-filter per day, make sure you stock up
- Pay attention to the correct fit of the mask, and change out the filters regularly according to manufacturer instructions
- Clean your mask using a light soapy solution to destroy the membrane around virus cells
Gas Mask FAQs
Can you die from tear gas exposure?
According to data from the CDC, you can die from severe exposure to tear gas, leading to tear-gas poisoning. There is a chance for death when releasing tear gas in enclosed areas with poor ventilation. Tear gas exposure may also cause skin rashes and vision problems, along with respiratory issues.
Is it legal for the police to use tear gas?
It’s legal for police to use tear gas in riots – but only in certain states. The city of Portland recently outlawed the use of tear gas in the wake of the George Floyd protests, leaving police with limited crowd control methods.
How do you neutralize tear gas?
The Hong Kong protesters would carry spray bottles featuring baking soda dissolved in water. The ratio of 3-teaspoons to 8.5 ounces of water effectively relieves the effects of tear gas and pepper spray.
Where do I buy the best gas mask?
If you’re looking for the best prices and fast delivery of your gas mask, we recommend signing up for Amazon Prime. Prime members get buyer protection on orders and hassle-free returns.
Gas Mask Reviews – The Verdict
By now, you should have a good idea of the best gas mask to suit your prepping needs. However, we realize it’s challenging settling on a final choice. This review has so much variety that it’s hard mailing down a final option for your gas mask.
If you’re having trouble choosing the best gas mask for your prepping needs, why not go with one of our top picks?
The Holulo Eyes Full Face Cover gas mask is the winner of this review’s best overall model. You get everything you would expect in a top model, making it suitable for various functions. Whether you’re protecting you and your family from chemical attacks, biological invaders, or wildfire smoke, this mask filters out 99.97% of airborne particles to keep you safe.
This gas mask comes with an anti-scratch domed lens for wide-angle viewing and dual air filters for high-capacity airflow. You get a secure 5-point head strap with an adjustable function for a custom fit. There’s even a communication port for easy talking on the run.
If you’re looking for a military-grade model, we recommend going with the MIRASAFETY Survival Gas Mask. This gas mask features a diaphragm port for easy communications and a drinking port that accommodates the canteen included with your purchase. The polycarbonate, anti-scratch lens protects your eyes and your face against impacts, and the dual-filter design removes 99.97% of airborne particulates.
The NASUM 8200 Face Cover Gas Mask is out choice for the best budget gas mask and goggle combination in this review. Trusted by the Hong Kong protestors to keep them safe during the riots, this system is a lightweight and affordable choice.
You get a durable polycarbonate lens, with a vented design to prevent fogging. The dual-filter design offers high-capacity airflow for easy breathing, with replacement filters included with your purchase.