If you’re a hunter or sports marksman, you have an intimate relationship with bolt-action rifles. Chances are you were shooting them at a young age, and you’ve already fired thousands of rounds through dozens of firearms.
That kind of training leads to the development of muscle memory for cocking a bolt-action slide. Your body and mind operate in perfect sync when pulling back the bolt to load the firearm. Why do hunters and marksmen use bolt-action rifles? That’s a simple answer – because they are reliable.
When you pull back the bolt and lock it, you know that your trusty rifle will fire every time. Unlike semi-auto’s that might have feed or ejection issues, a bolt rifle rarely deals with mechanical or ammunition faults.
If you’re looking for a pen to take to the range to record your training result, you need equipment that’s as reliable as your rifle. A bolt-action pen utilizes the same loading action as a bolt action rifle to load the pen’s tip through the housing.
Bolt action pens lock into place, requiring you to release them manually before returning to the sheath. These pens often feature tactical design and manufacture with robust, lightweight materials. As a result, you can use these pens as weapons in self-defense situations, and as a glass-breaker in emergencies.
What do you look for in a bolt-action pen, and what are the best models available? In this review, we’ll unpack the features and benefits of the best bolt action pen.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Bolt Action Pen Reviews
- 2.1 RovyVon C10 EDC Pen – The Best Overall Bolt Action Pen
- 2.2 Nitecore NCNTP30 – The Best Premium Bolt Action Pen
- 2.3 SmootherPro Solid Brass Bolt Action Pen – The Best Budget Bolt Action Pen
- 2.4 GP 1945 Bolt Action Pen LITE
- 2.5 Refyne EP1 Bolt-Action Pen
- 2.6 Gerber Impromptu Tactical Pen
- 2.7 Böker Plus KID cal .50 Brass
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Bolt Action Pen Buyer’s Guide
- 5 How Do You Use an Action-Bolt Pen for Self Defense? – The Do’s and Don’ts
- 6 What Do I Look for in a Bolt Action Pen?
- 7 Bolt-Action Pen FAQs
- 8 Bolt Action Pen Reviews – The Verdict
If you need to get back to your work, then let’s save you some time with our top picks in this review. If you want the best pen we could find, one of these models will suit your needs.
- Best Pick: RovyVon C10 EDC Pen
The RovyVon comes in an attractive chassis with a tactical look and feel. Featuring design and construction with titanium, and a rugged grip design, the RovyVon C10 is our top choice in this review. You get multiple tactical functionalities with this pen, including a glass-breaker ball on the top. The sliding bolt action locks in place, and we like the wearing fade design of the titanium chassis for a weathered look.
- Premium Pick: Nitecore NCNTP30
If you’re looking for an attractive and classy pen, this Nitecore model features design and construction with polished TC4 titanium alloy for strength and a professional finish. You get a tungsten glass breaker tip at the top of the pen, and the locking bolt system for the tip. The subtle grip rings on the pen help with writing and handling the pen in tactical self-defense situations. Compatible with German Schneider Pen refills.
- Budget Pick: SmotherPro Solid Brass Bolt Action Pen
The SmootherPro solid brass bolt-action pen is an excellent choice for our best budget model in this review. The pen comes with a price tag under $20 and a genuine brass finish that feels like you’re handling an ammo casing. The bolt-action on the pen is pronounced. The lower half of the stock of the pen features drilled holes that resemble a ported barrel on a firearm, and they provide excellent grip too.
Bolt Action Pen Reviews
Now that you have an idea of our top models let’s unpack them in further detail. We’ll look at some other bolt-action pens that are close contenders for the top spot.
RovyVon C10 EDC Pen – The Best Overall Bolt Action Pen
From the moment you receive your RovyVon C10 bolt-action pen, it’s a high-quality experience. The pen comes in a tactical carry case, with a padded foam interior housing the pen. The locking case is durable black plastic, with the company branding, and impressive design quality.
Opening the case reveals the tactical bolt-action pen. This model runs with Schmidt P900 ink refills, and it’s an entirely functional pen. The ergonomic design of the chassis sits comfortably in your hand, with a delicate balance making it easy to write on any surface.
- Easy to Carry : RovyVon C10 Pen made of Titanium, 4.9* 0.49 inches, only weighs 1.4 oz. It is convenient to use and carry. Ideal edc gear for everyday carry, camping.
- Get out of the Trouble: Durable tip is rugged enough to handle the unexpected and emergency, help you get out the danger.
- Indoors and Outdoors: The pen uses a bolt action mechanism. Unique design at the handle, excellent anti-skid ability. Whether you’re in your vehicle, walking outsider or working indoors, it’s convenient to make this tactical pen part of your routine equipment.
- Collection Value and Gift Idea : The refill of this pen is made in Germany (SCHMIDT P 900 / 950), and that can be wrote in all conditions. Equipped with an ink cartridge and a fine craftsmanship, it can also be used for collection. Perfect Mother's Day/Father's Day/Birthday Gift.
- Cost-Effective: A natural titanium C10 edc pen with an eco-friendly PA ink cartridge, writing and self -saving. 100% Quality Guarantee and 12 months warranty, buy with confidence.
The grip grooves on this model provide plenty of finger traction and help control the pen in a self-defense situation. You get a titanium clip included, allowing you to keep the pen available on your body always.
The top of the pen features a ceramic striker ball you can use to smash car windows in an emergency. The striker ball also acts as a blunt-force weapon to subdue an attacker with strikes to the face, throat, and temple.
This pen weighs less than 1.5-ounces, making it a lightweight EDC pen for both tactical and functional purposes. The pen gets its lightweight nature from the titanium construction, providing exceptional strength while reducing weight.
When you purchase the C10, you get a 100% satisfaction guarantee and a 12-month manufacturer’s warranty against defects.
- Features design and construction with a titanium chassis
- Secure bolt-action
- Glass striker tip
- Good grip design
- Color fades with age for a weathered look
- Comes with an EDC case
- Not for those that don’t appreciate a weathered look
Nitecore NCNTP30 – The Best Premium Bolt Action Pen
Nitecore is a premium brand in the home security and self-defense industry. They have a wide range of tactical equipment available for citizens looking to improve their safety and security. This company has some innovative products, and we like the NCNTP30 bolt-action pen they have in the range.
This pen features a bi-directional bolt slide lock mechanism that feels like you’re loading a .22-caliber rifle. The clean action and high-quality presentation of this pen are excellent. Precision-made from machined TC4 titanium, and running German Schneider pen refills, this model is functional and aesthetic.
- A Must Buy Item.
- Built To Last.
- Great Item To Give as A Gift.
- Package Dimensions : 48.25" L x 2.5" W x 1.25" H
The overall look of this pen has a high-quality professional look. You would think that this pen is as comfortable signing million-dollar contracts in the board room as it is protecting your life in the streets. The rear of the pen features a tungsten striker tip for shattering car windows in an emergency. The tungsten is almost as hard as diamond and has no issues with shattering thick glass.
The smooth finish of the pen might be concerning to some—however, the thin grooves at the front of the pen supply surprising grip. However, if the pen is wet, you might experience grip issues. The titanium alloy finish is corrosion-resistant, with a total length of just under 4-inches.
- Polished titanium finish
- Tungsten tapered tip for glass breaking
- Bi-directional bolt loading design
- Lightweight and functional
- Professional look
- Premium Price
SmootherPro Solid Brass Bolt Action Pen – The Best Budget Bolt Action Pen
This SmootherPro bolt-action pen wins our top spot for the best budget pen in this review. This model retails for less than $20, and it has a classy, brass finish that’s aesthetically pleasing. If you’re looking for an affordable and function bolt-action pen, this model is a great choice.
Starting at the top of the pen, you get a striker tip that smashes through a toughened glass window in vehicle accidents. The tip also features a loop for attachment to a lanyard or keychain to prevent loss.
- Constructed with high grade solid brass; unbreakable & balanced weight for long time writing and holding, reducing fatigue of your hand while writing.
- Finely CNC machined body and threads for long life support, a decent expensive brass pen for your own use or give to friends or family as pen gift.
- Well buffed to avoid potential cut during your EDC use with unsurpassed quality control, keyring included for easier EDC carry without leaving behind.
- Standard refills are commonly used in this pen and you can get anywhere super easy to exchange refills. Widely compatible with Fisher Space Pen SPR4 refill, compatible with Parker refill and other similar refills. Search ASIN: B0936P1YBH for extra refills from SMOOTHERPRO.
- Search SMOOTHERPRO for more CNC machined pens, titanium pens, brass pens, carbon fiber pens, fountain pens and other unique pens. Our designers are outdoor pros and experts that our products are designed based on actual demands and needs; also, we hear voices from our customers everyday and provide solutions for their concerns time to time; your shopping experience is super important and we provide quality & timely delivery guarantee!!
The hexagonal shaft features drilled holes towards the front of the pen. The effect gives the pen the look of a ported firearm barrel – and it helps with gripping the pen in a combat situation.
The brass design of the pen is fantastic, and it handles Fisher, Parker, and Schneider refills. This model is a great choice for professional work situations and self-defense. The Brass finish gives it the look of an ammunition casing.
The pronounced bolt action on this model looks like it belongs in a .22-cal rifle, and you’re half expecting a cartridge to pop out when racking the pen for the first time. Overall, you can’t beat the value you get with this pen. The price, the build, and the materials are all top quality, and it’s a firm contender for the best bolt-action pen in this review.
- Solid brass construction
- Oversized bolt action
- Ported barrel grip design
- Striker tip and lanyard chain
- Budget Price
- Refills tend to leak easily
GP 1945 Bolt Action Pen LITE
The GP 1945 bolt-action pen LITE is a great example of an affordable and functional tactical pen that works in the office and on the streets. This pen features a machined-aluminum chassis, featuring a strike plate and a two-tone emergency whistle in the rear.
The front of the pen has a bevel allowing for better control during writing, and four deep grooves with knurling for better grip when writing, and when holding in a tactical grip. The bolt-action design of the pen sits mid-way down the chassis, unlike most other models that have the slide at the top of the pen.
- YOUR 3-in-1 EDC ESSENTIAL - Complete your EDC collection with this survival pen. Far more impressive and functional than a cheap penlight or pen flashlight, this camping multitool doubles as a whistle and can be used for breaking glass during emergencies.
- TACT PEN WITH BOLT ACTION - A multiuse alternative to pen lights or other similar as seen on TV products , this well-balanced tool pen for desktop/outdoor use writes up to 1000 ft. It also has a quick 10 mm and 1-inch measurement reference on the finger grip
- MULTI-TONE RESCUE WHISTLE - The whistle function of our pen differentiates it from a common rechargeable pen light. Made of CNC aluminum or titanium, it emits different notes as you slide 2 fingers along its clip. Use these gadgets for fun or survival purposes.
- EMERGENCY GLASS BREAKER - Instead of a rock or any hard object, use the tip of this pen to break glass. This feature, which comes in handy during emergencies, makes our tactical multitool particularly useful while camping, hiking and more.
- COOL GADGETS FOR ADVENTURISTS - This sturdy pen’s 2-level clip allows it to adapt to thin or thick pockets like jeans. Rather than a flashlight pen, give this nifty gadget to yourself, friends or loved ones on any occasion.
You get a sturdy clip, allowing you to carry this pen on your wherever you go. Clip it into your pants or shirt pocket, or stow it somewhere close on your rucksack for emergencies. The GP 1945 comes in two colors – Jetblack and aluminum. The jet-black model has a more tactical look, whereas the aluminum model can fit around the board table at any business meeting.
- Integrated glass-breaker tip and an emergency whistle
- Lightweight aluminum design and construction
- Knurled grip with measurement sections
- Mid-locking bolt-action
- Functional and well-balanced for work
- We would like to see this model in a titanium finish
Refyne EP1 Bolt-Action Pen
If you’re looking for a tactical pen with a subtle appearance, the Refyne EP1] is an excellent choice. This model features an elegant, sleek design from end-to-end. The check-mark slide and bolt assembly are innovative, with a bronzed barrel adding some color to the chassis’s jet-black appearance.
The pen measures a total length of 115-mm x 10-mm in diameter, making it the size of your average pen you would expect to find at the office. However, with the Refyne EP1, you get polished titanium chassis, available in matte black or gun-metal finishes. The strength of titanium makes it ideal for tactical and rescue situations.
- INNOVATIVE BOLT ACTION PEN: With a flick of your thumb, the bolt easily slides through the unique shaped channel to open or close the pen in one satisfying fluid motion. Pleasantly responsive and fidget friendly.
- MINIMALIST DESIGN: Crafted in solid Copper, the removable deep carry pocket clip, stainless steel barrel, and custom Torx T6 hardware are all subtle elements that add to the modern elegance of these pens. Copper will beautifully patina over time and use. An exceptional everyday carry pocket pen for men and women.
- ULTRA COMPACT: The ergonomic pocket friendly size makes this the perfect edc pen. The solid build helps the pen also function as an emergency glass breaker and self defense pen.
- UNIVERSAL REFILLS: Built with the Black Schmidt easyFLOW 9000 M Refill, the hybrid ink glides as smoothly as a rollerball with the precision of a ballpoint pen. Designed to accommodate various tastes in refills (rollerball, ballpoint and gel), our pen is compatible with most Parker Style G2-size refills such as the Fisher Space Pen PR Series.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Our priority is to provide you with high-quality products that combine style and versatility to ensure you’re ready for anything. Your experience matters so if you have any questions or concerns, send us a message and we’ll take care of you immediately.
You get custom Torx T6 hardware in this pen, and the bolt assembly will last a lifetime. The minimalist design and ultra-compact look make this model an excellent choice for business people looking for a classy pen they can take to work.
However, the only gripe we have with this model is a lack of grip. We would like to see at least one stippling strip up the pen’s length to help with grip in tactical situations.
- Sleek and clean design
- V-style bolt-locking action
- Polished titanium and PVD coated design
- Gun-metal or black finishes
- Built to handle the black Schmidt easyFLOW 9000-M Refills
- Removable clip
- Lacks any grip knurling for traction
Gerber Impromptu Tactical Pen
Gerber Impromptu Tactical Pen makes some fantastic knives, and we have a few of them in our collection. When they posted on social that they were releasing the new impromptu, we had to check it out. This pen features an innovative design, and from a distance, it somewhat resembles an artillery round.
- Rugged, machined steel body and stainless steel pocket clip keeps this pen handy
- Rite in the rain ink cartridge works in all conditions, inside and outdoors
- Reliable push-button mechanism deploys ball point mechanism
- Integrated glass-breaker tip features tempered steel and is designed to get you out of trouble
- Made in the USA
This pen comes in an anodized tactical black, grey or earth finish. You get an all-titanium chassis that’s durable and corrosion-resistant, while still maintaining a non-tactical look for use. The look, finish, and feel of the Gerber impromptu tactical pen match precisely what we would expect from this brand in terms of quality and finish.
This company has decades of experience manufacturing some of the best CNC-made knives, with durable materials and high-quality blades. The new bolt action tactical pen is a good extensi0on of the Gerber legacy, giving them a new product in a new market.
- Write in the rain ink cartridge works in all conditions, inside and outdoors
- Integrated striker tip with glass-breaker
- Suitable for a self-defense weapon
- Impressive design with narrow point and handle
- Plenty of traction and grip
- Striker tip for glass-breaking
- Not as attractive a design as other pens in this review
Böker Plus KID cal .50 Brass
Rounding off the review, we have the Böker Plus KID cal .50 Brass bolt-action pen. This model has a .50-cal chassis, made from genuine brass for an authentic look. At a distance, this is another model that we think has a design element that includes ammunition for real firearms.
This model’s brass look is our favorite finish, but this bolt-action pen is available in carbon-fiber, titanium, and aluminum options. The robust bolt action on the end of the pen looks rugged and has a firearm-style finish.
- for everyday use
- Can take rough handling and use
- Lifetime for Boker products
The pen comes with a built-in belt or pocket clip to keep the pen securely on your person.
The lower shaft design of this model suits people that prefer writing with a thicker pen. However, you get plenty of traction thanks to the subtle grooves machined into this model’s shaft.
- Solid brass construction
- Has a visual appearance similar to a large rifle round
- Comes in a variety of materials from brass to titanium and carbon-fiber
- Robust bolt action in the top of the pen
- Excellent grip for self-defense situations
- Compatible with Fisher Space Pen refills
- It takes some time to break in the bolt action
Other Best Selling Options
- UNIQUE TACTICAL PEN DESIGN - Nitecore NTP31 sports a three-position bolt action design that allows you to pop out either the tungsten tip for breaking glass or the pen tip for writing, or retract both for every carry.
- HIGH QUALITY WRITING - A premium German-made gel ink refill and stainless steel tip offer smooth writing that is quick-drying, waterproof, and fade resistant in harsh weather conditions.
- WINDOW BREAKER FOR EMERGENCY â€“ The tungsten steel tapered tip can function as an effective glass breaker to smash windows in an emergency. Its hardness is only second to that of diamonds.
- DESIGNED FOR EDC - constructed from aluminum alloy that offers lightweight ruggedness with an excellent resistance to impact and corrosion. Weighing only 0.7 oz and measuring less than 5.5 inches in length, the NTP31 is a great addition to your edc collection.
- PACKAGE CONTENTS - Nitecore NTP31 pen
- Constructed with unbreakable aircraft aluminum metal alloy 6061-T6 material, balanced weight for writing and holding.
- Standard refills are commonly used in this pen and you can get anywhere super easy to exchange refills. Widely compatible with Fisher Space Pen SPR4 refill, compatible with Parker refill, and other similar refills. Search ASIN: B0936P1YBH for extra refills from SMOOTHERPRO.
- Well buffed to avoid potential cuts during your EDC use with an extra-strong pocket clip; the Tungsten side is used for glass breaker and tact entry. Finely CNC machined body and threads for long life support, a decent tact pen with bolt action mechanism for your own use or give to friends or family as pen gift.
- Search our brand for more pens like CNC machined pens, gel pens, titanium pens, brass pens, carbon fiber pens, fountain pens, and other unique pens. Our designers are outdoor pros and experts and our products are designed based on actual demands and needs; also, we hear voices from our customers every day and provide solutions for their concerns from time to time; your opinion is super important to us!
- Ideal metal gift pens for mom, dad, brother, sister, son, daughter, boss, schoolmate, girlfriend, boyfriend, worker, broker, teacher, clerk, lawyer, teacher, brainworker, and whoever else you care about because this is an everyday carry pen with beautiful matte finish, steady and smooth writing. It comes with a high-quality gift box.
- 🖊Pen Clip and Multi-Purpose Refills: A key ring is included to keep the pen handy at all times. Strong and durable stainless steel pen clip, can also be clipped to the pocket; The tactical pen has additional 6 refills: 4 black, 1 blue and 1 red ink. The bolt action pen feels balanced in your hand, the grip and weight make the edc pen easier to write, suitable for long writing and holding, reducing your hand fatigue.
- 🔨DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: The bolt pen is made of solid brass, CNC precision machined body and threads, carefully polished surface to prevent cuts and make the edc pen look more elegant and refined, durable and strong construction, it will not break under pressure, you can use the brass pen until you lose it. The bolt action pen is quick and easy to open, it withstands heat, shock, sweat and daily use, dual tactical/pen combo, it won't rust, dogs and cats can't chew it.
- 💝Beautiful Design: The brass edc pen feels great in your hand and is comfortable and smooth to write on. And the comfortable hollowed out hexagonal prism design grip makes the pocket pen easy on your skin. Ergonomic appearance makes the action pen more grippy, it won't slide out easily from your fingers, don't worry about the action pen falling off the table easily. The bolt action feature will help you reduce stress, so much fun to lock/unlock it, it's for people who are restless.
- 🎁Applicable Scenarios: Stylish, luxurious, minimalistic edc and travel pen, the pocket pen is good enough for use in harsh environments, suitable for most people like teachers, doctors, firefighters, correctional officers, etc. The pocket pen is a great gift for Christmas, Valentine's Day, Father's Day and Thanksgiving, for outdoor professionals, colleagues, family, friends, edc, men and women, pen collectors.
- ❣Size and Charm: Due to the properties of brass, its surface will gradually oxidize over time to develop a beautiful vintage color. Length:5.2 inch. Weight:1.6 ounce.
- FEATURES: Pen with bolt action retraction that provides a smooth writing experience, with a real ballpoint tip
- REFILLS, MATERIAL & WARRANTY: Refillable with Standard and fisher space pen refills and come standard and made of lightweight aircraft aluminum. 1-year warranty.
- USES: A real ballpoint tactical pen that becomes tactical and strategic tool in-case of emergency with UZI's ultra-durable construction
- GREAT GIFT: for men like your dad, father, grandpa, uncle, brother, son, grandson, husband, boyfriend, and also for women, perfect for birthday, Valentine's day, graduation, anniversary, father’s day or Christmas gift
- TACTICAL PEN: This tactical gear is an ideal companion for outdoor trips, camping, outings; Important tactical gadget that is easy to use by men and women
- Solid Steel Strength: Made of 100% genuine stainless steel. Heavy-duty metal construction guarantees quality that will last a lifetime with its ability to hold at extreme temperature and corrosion. The pen is balanced and writes smoothly making it perfect for everyday use.
- Bolt Action Mechanism: With premium machined CNC precision design, BASTION pens bring together functionality and elegance. Our bolt-action technology offers a secure lock with no wearing components, as well as a smooth one-push operation. A sturdy body, effortless retractable system, and luxurious look make our pens a status symbol.
- Robust Metal Cartridge: The reinforced cartridge is engineered in compliance with industry quality standards and specifically intended to keep ink securely contained to prevent any spilling and blotches. Easily replace the ink cartridge with our available ink refills in blue, red, and black colors in gel or standard. And you can also use other compatible ink cartridges.
- Not Just an Ordinary Pen: This EDC pen can also be used as an emergency tool that you can take anywhere without intimidating anybody. With its versatile seamless design, it is perfect for professionals, students, executives, and for everyday use. Packaged in an exquisite box ready to be gifted for all occasions.
- Elegant Gift Box: It comes in an exquisite package ready to be gifted for all occasions. Get it for yourself or as a birthday, Christmas, Graduation, or holiday present for someone. Its instantly recognizable BASTION profile is simply luxurious, versatile, and perfect for students, personnel, professionals, and executives.
Bolt Action Pen Buyer’s Guide
What are you looking for in a bolt action pen? Why do you need one of these pens in your range bag or car?
In this section, we’ll look at all the top benefits of owning bolt-action pens, and what you need to look for in a top model.
The History of Bolt Action Tactical Pens
Back in the 1960s, Soke Takayuki Kubota, a Japanese national, invented the world’s first EDC survival keychain weapon. Soke called the subtle but lethal weapon, the “Kubotan.” The small, pen-shaped attachment to your keychain features one striker end at the bottom, and two finger-prongs further up the shaft.
The Kubotan is still a popular weapon, and many Japanese Ninjutsu classes incorporate the use of the Kubotan in self-defense strategies. This striking weapon set the tone for other handheld weapons with a subtle tactical appearance.
The bolt-action tactical pen is a new generation of function handheld weapons. Use it to sign contracts or disable an attacker – These pens have functionality for both scenarios. You can think or the bolt-action tactical pen as a modern variant of the Kubotan, with an ink cartridge.
For once, we can say that the pen truly is mightier than the sword.
Why are Bolt-Action Pens Popular?
Bolt-action pens are becoming popular for the versatility they offer the user. With a bolt-action pen, you have a writing and survival device in one instrument. With a bolt-action pen, you get a sturdy chassis consisting of materials like titanium and striking points on either side of the pen.
Regardless of whether you’re an executive or a prepper, a bolt-action pen belongs in your briefcase or gear bag. A bolt-action tactical pen is the ideal, inconspicuous weapon to take with you anywhere you go, from home to the office or the range.
With so many models available at a wide range of price points, bolt-action pens are useful to own. You can pick up a model to suit any budget, with plenty of designs – from tactical to professional.
How Do You Use an Action-Bolt Pen for Self Defense? – The Do’s and Don’ts
A bolt-action pen is a useful addition to your EDC setup. Along with your firearm, tourniquet, knife, and flashlight adding a bolt-action pen into the mix give you one more protection layer. A bolt-action pen comes with a sturdy shaft and a deadly point that locks into position.
These pens can deliver a lethal blow to the throat or temples, especially with the pointed end. While these pens are effective weapons, they mostly go under the radar of security personnel. You can take them into areas where you can’t get your firearm or knife for protection.
It’s essential to bear in mind that these less-lethal instruments can still present a severe threat. You always need to ensure the safe use and full control of the weapon. Here is a list of do’s and don’ts to consider when using your bolt-action pen.
DO – Carry the Pen Somewhere Handy
As with any weapon, you need it readily available if you’re going to use it in a surprise attack. There’s no point in having it laying in the bottom of your backpack. These pens come with clips that allow easy carrying on the edge of your pants pocket for quick reach.
DON’T – Rely on the Pen as Your Only Weapon
While bolt-action pens are a durable and effective weapon, they aren’t useful in all combat situations. Remember, the best option for survival in an attack situation is to run away if you can and call for help.
DO – Use the Functionality of the Pen in Self-Defense Situations
A bolt-action pen is an effective weapon in a hand-to-hand combat situation. However, it’s important to note that your training plays the primary role in overcoming a threat – not the weapon. Just because you have a tactical pen, doesn’t mean that you know how to use it. Take a training course or look up techniques on YouTube.
DON’T – Think You Can Make Tactical Attacks with Normal Pens
Bolt-action pens have robust and rugged chassis, suitable for hand-to-hand combat. However, don’t think that you can pull off the same moves with a regular pen. The forces involved with trying to penetrate the skin with a normal pen might shatter your soft tissue, causing a nasty injury to your hand.
DO – The Double Tap Attack
Bolt-action pens are suitable for self-defense situations where you’re attacker doesn’t have any weapons. You can strike their face and soft tissues using the pen, and rake the skin or face using the pointed end. The double-tap attack involves using multiple strikes in quick succession to the same area of the body.
What Do I Look for in a Bolt Action Pen?
If you think a bolt-action pen is an excellent choice for your lifestyle, why not pick one of the models in this review? If you don’t know what to look for in a bolt-action pen, use the following information to help you settle on your purchase decision.
Construction and Design
When choosing your bolt-action pen, the most crucial consideration is the material used in the pen’s design and construction. We recommend looking for metals like titanium and brass, which offer superior strength while looking aesthetically attractive.
Using these materials as the base for the pen’s chassis ensures that you get a robust and durable weapon. It’s important to remember that a bolt-action pen could end up saving your life in a self-defense situation. Therefore, you want to ensure that you get a pen with a durable design you can trust.
Texture and Grips
The grip of the pen is another vital characteristic of this subtle weapon. When you’re stabbing, racking, or even writing with the pen, you want full control over the instrument. Your grip allows you to hold onto the pen without slipping through your fingers.
Some models feature cross-hatched design on the grip, while others use different cutouts and shapes. Choose a model that feels good in your hands. We w recommend looking for a pen that’s suitable for use with and without gloves.
Knurled, non-abrasive grips are the best quality for use in pressure situations. The grip of the weapon is an essential component of the bolt-action tactical pen. You’ll need a firm grip when breaking glass or during a self-defense situation.
How many times do you think you’ve lost a pen in your life? If you’re like us, then it’s probably hundreds. You want to make sure that the same mistake doesn’t happen to your new bolt-action tactical pen. Therefore, it’s essential to look for models that offer lanyard systems or a wrist chain loop.
Look for models that include clips. The clips should feature design and construction with the same material as the shaft of the pen. Look for clips that offer secure fixing to your clothing.
Concealment and Look
When purchasing any weapon, you want to keep it as discreet as possible. Advertising that you’re carrying a weapon makes you a target, and it ruins the element of surprise you get from carrying a weapon.
The golden rule of purchasing tactical gear for civilian use – is to ensure it doesn’t have a tactical look. People don’t want to see other people walking around in para-military gear; it makes them feel nervous.
Therefore, your bolt-action pen needs to have a look and feel of a regular pen. At the same time, it needs to maintain the tactical function necessary to operate in a self-defense situation or emergency.
Bolt-Action Pen FAQs
Why should I consider a bolt-action pen?
Bolt action pens are reliable. The locking mechanism will never fail on you. It’s for this reason that they make excellent tactical weapons. The locking mechanism turns the pen into a speared point weapon you can use to attack sensitive areas on an assailant.
Can you take a bolt action pen on an airplane?
If your pen has a tactical design and the TSA agent finds it suspicious, they may confiscate the pen or ask you to stow it in your luggage that goes in the hold of the plane. Tactical pens are not allowed on planes; they are weapons that can claim lives and hold hostages in the wrong hands.
Can a tactical bolt-action pen kill someone?
Yes, a tactical bolt-action pen can kill someone. The hard glass-breaking tip or the point of the pen both act as weapons in self-defense situations. Driving the pen to the throat, eyes, and other soft areas of the body can damage a knife in some cases. However, law enforcement regards a tactical pen as a less-lethal weapon, meaning it’s legal to carry without a license.
Are tactical bolt-action pens legal in the State of California?
Yes, California does not regard a tactical bolt-action pen as a lethal weapon. Therefore, you can carry these pens on you when walking anywhere in the state.
What are the target areas for a tactical pen?
You should take a short self-defense class to use your pen in a tactical situation. The most obvious targets for your pen are the eyes, ears, temple, throat, groin, and biceps. However, learning how to strike pressure points in the back, neck, and arms of your assailant will help you in a combat situation. Remember, you’ll have to drill to get competent at handling the pen in a pressure situation.
Bolt Action Pen Reviews – The Verdict
By now, you should have a good idea of which bolt-action pen suits your needs. Whether you go for classic or tactical design is up to you. However, choose a pen that meets your requirements. If you’re going to the range, you’ll need a different style of a pen to what you carry to the office.
If you’re having trouble picking a winner, why not rely on our top picks?
- The RovyVon C10 EDC Pen wins our top award for the best overall EDC bolt-action pen. This model has a robust titanium construction and tactical design that suits use in emergencies. Pack it into your gear bag and head to the range.
- The Nitecore NCNTP30 is a premium option for the businessperson that needs a pen for signing contracts and smashing windows. This Nitecore model offers you the perfect bridge between professional and tactical use.
- The SmootherPro Solid Brass Bolt Action Pen is an excellent choice for anyone on a budget. At less than $20, this pen is affordable and functional.