Are you new to firearms ownership? You might be wondering how you can increase the accuracy of your groupings at the range. As a newbie to the game, it takes time to understand the mechanics of shooting a rifle or pistol well.
It takes a few thousand rounds through your weapon before you understand how your body reacts to the noise of the shot, the recoil and muzzle flip, and the mechanics of handling the trigger reset and riding the wall for consecutive shots.
If you find your groupings look awful, you’re either dealing with one of three problems. First, you’re anticipating the shot, bracing for the muzzle flip. Second, your grip is incorrect, or you’re riding the trigger too far to one side of your fingertip.
Finally, you’re having issues getting your sights when you bring the pistol, rifle, or carbine to head-level. The easiest way to resolve your problems – is to practice. However, you’ll find that it’s easier to sort out the first two problems than it is to get your accuracy up.
Finding your sights is a common problem with new shooters, and it can take some individuals months to get it right. Fiber optics front sights on handguns help identify your target easier, finding your sights before pulling the trigger.
However, if you want the best pistol and rifle accessory for finding your sights – you need a red dot sight. With a red dot, you get accurate targeting at any distance and in any lighting conditions. Red doits can help newbies find their sight faster, and it also helps sports shooters in competition.
In this review, we’ll look at the best red dot sight for your pistol, rifle, and carbine platforms.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Red Dot Sight Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Red Dot Sight Buyer’s Guide
- 4.1 What is the MOA of the Red Dot Sight?
- 4.2 What Do I Need to Look for in a Red Dot Sight?
- 4.3 How Do I Choose a Red Dot for My Rifle, Carbine, or Handgun?
- 4.4 How Do I Zero in a Red Dot Sight?
- 4.5 What are the Types of Red Dot Sights?
- 5 Red Dot Sight FAQs
- 6 Red Dot Sights – The Verdict
We went through dozens of listings to find the best red dot sight. With stocks running low around the US, it’s challenging to find a good selection. We ended up settling on ten red dots representing the best of what’s available.
We have red dots to suit any platform, at various price points to satisfy your budget. Pick a red dot to fit your pistol, carbine, or rifle, and start shooting tight groupings.
- The Best Pick: Trijicon SRO
The Trijicon SRO wins our award for the best overall model in this review. This model comes with an adjustable 5.0 MOA for crisp, clear dots on targets from close range to distance. This model is a great choice for sports shooters, with easy adjustments for elevation and wind. The tool-less design of this model means you get fast adjustments without removing the sight from the gun. This model features an RMR footprint, multiple lighting modes, and 150 MOA total travel.
- The Premium Pick: Leupold DeltaPoint Pro
Sports shooters and home defense enthusiasts looking for the best red dot sight available can settle on the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro. This red dot sight offers precision-engineered design, featuring reflex design and a fast dot pick up time with no lag between shots. This model is compatible with handguns and long guns, giving you versatile use of this red dot sight. The DiamondCoat Aspheric Lens is the standout feature. This model comes with scratch-resistant coating and auto adjustments to your lighting conditions., you get a 2.5 MOA red dot or a 7.5 MOA triangle sight, with a low battery warning and motion-sensor activation providing extended battery life.
- The Budget Pick: Sig Sauer SIG AIR
Sig owners of the P320 platform enjoy this affordable red dot sight for the P320, M17, and M18 series. The P320 is Sig Sauers most popular pistol platform, and this red dot sight offers you an outstanding accessory to improve your shooting – at an affordable price. You get two mounting plates included, with an optic cover, cleaning cloth. There are six adjustable brightness levels for a wide FOV in your red dot lens. This model includes easy installation and 3.0 MOA with reflex sight design.
Red Dot Sight Reviews
Choosing the right red dot sight for your firearm is a challenging process. After reading through the top picks, let’s unpack them further in this section. We’ll also look at other models that qualify for the best red dot sight.
Trijicon is a leader in firearms optics solutions. The SRO model is the company’s latest offering, and it’s a great choice for pistol owners. This model comes with a large, unobstructed field-of-view, featuring an adjustable 5.0 MOA for sports shooting.
The Trijicon SRO offers you compatibility with suppressor-height iron sights, producing a clear and crisp doty on your target. This model includes adjustability for wind and elevation, making it easy to zero in your red dot sight.
- LARGE, UNOBSTRUCTIVE FIELD OF VIEW: Parallax-free and compatible with suppressor-height iron sights
- CLEAR, CRISP DOT: Fine-tuned, illuminated reticle, coupled with exceptionally clear front lens, offers a clear sight picture with a crisp 5.0 MOA Red Dot.Adjustment Range:150 MOA Total Travel
- EASY, ADJUSTABLE WINDAGE & ELEVATION: Tool-less design makes zeroing hassle-free
- RED DOT PISTOL READY: Designed to fit on many of the most popular red-dot-ready brands on the market (mount not included)
- SAME FOOTPRINT AS RMR: Mounts easily using the same base as the Trijicon RMR (mount not included)
This model features the same footprint as the RMR, making it compatible with various pistol models. The Trijicon SRO comes with eight selectable brightness settings, featuring three adjustment modes giving you total control over the dot.
The Trijicon SRO comes with a top-loading battery for your convenience, and up to 3-year battery life, with shake-awake technology for efficient use. This red dot wins our award for the best overall model in this review, and it’s a top choice for sports shooters, self-defense, and tactical use.
- Large unobstructed window view
- Large 5.0 MOA dot
- Top-loading battery with 3-year battery life
- RMR footprint
- Automatic LED brightness adjustment
- Eight brightness adjustments and three modes
- Tool-less adjustment design
Leupold DeltaPoint Pro
Sports shooters and firearms enthusiasts demanding the best quality red dot sight for their weapon will love the value they get in this Leupold model. The Leupold DeltaPoint Pro is the pinnacle of red dot technology and the best premium model in this review.
With the Leupold DeltaPoint, you get a battery-saving motion technology that deactivates after 5-minutes of no use. Your get a crystal glass display for a wide field-of-view and a non-scratch lens for use in demanding applications.
- Rugged waterproof construction makes it equally at home, in hunting or tactical environments
- The Leupold DeltaPoint Pro Reflex Sight is ideal for any shooter looking to enhance their shooting ability
- This extremely versatile sight has an easy-access battery compartment
- Package Dimensions: 6.38" L x 4.33" W x 2.36" H
The Leupold DeltaPoint pro comes with a DiamondCoat Aspheric Lens, providing crystal-clear imaging of your target. This model features compatibility with various handgun models, and it’s a top choice for sports shooters.
You get adjustable brightness and multiple MOA modes up to 4.0. This Leupold DeltaPoint red dot sight is expensive, but it’s worth the money if you have the budget. You get a waterproof design, with a tool-lee top-loading battery design.
- Top-quality firearms brand
- Battery-saving motion sensor technology
- Automatic deactivation after 5-minutes of inactivity
- Waterproof construction
- Suitable for use on pistols and long guns
- DiamondCoat aspheric lens
- Scratch-resistant lens
- 2.5 MOA dot size
Sig Sauer SIG AIR
The Sig Sauer P320 range is the company’s most successful handgun series. This SIG AIR red dot sight is an affordable and effective red dot for your P320, including the M17 and M18 models. With this red dot, you get an affordable price tag and plenty of functionality for your firearm.
The SIG AIR comes with a reflex sight design, featuring wind and elevation adjustments, and you get six brightness modes. The lightweight aluminum housing doesn’t upset the gun’s balance in your hands, and you get quick rests after each shot.
- Included Components: 1554 red-dot-sights
- Sport Type: Hunting. Multiple Handgun Mounting Kit IncludesSight Plates for - Glock (Except Mos), Cz-75, Springfield Xd, Sw Mp,Hk P2000, 1911 Standard,Sig Sauer 1911,Sig Sauer 220, 226, 227, 229-1,Sig Sauer 229 Non-1, 239, 225-1, Sp2022,Sig Sauer P320,Glock Mos,Sw Cor
- Moa Adj, black
- Total Elevation Travel - 100 MOA. Total Windage Travel - 100 MOA. Run Time - 5000
- Tested to maintain its zero at over 10,000 rounds of 230 grain, .45 ACP
The long-life CR2032 battery provides upon to 40,000-hours of service time, with shockproof mountings to prevent flicker after firing. This SIG AIR is the ideal choice for P320 owners and works in self-defense and tactical shooting arenas.
This model offers easy installation to your firearm, with two mounting plates included suiting a variety of P320 setups from full-size to compact guns.
- Affordable quality
- SIG SAUER leading firearms brand
- Elevation and windage adjustment
- 6-level brightness control
- Lightweight aluminum housing
- Two mounting plates included
- CR2032 battery included
This HOLOSUN red dot is a top-quality sight for your rifle. This model comes with integrated Picatinny rail adapters for easy fitment to your firearm. This red dot comes with a host of advanced features, making it excellent value for money.
You get shake-awake technology, automatically deactivating and reactivating the sight according to your movements. This model comes with 50,000-hour battery life, thanks to the inclusion of solar charging. The solar failsafe system ensures you never have to worry about your dot disappearing on your in a crisis.
- INCLUDES: Holosun HS507C-X2 Red Dot Sight | Coin Battery CR1632 | T10 L Key | Lens Cloth | User Manual | Warranty | COMPATIBLE: RMR Footprint
- LONG BATTERY LIFE: Features included in equipment uses both Solar Failsafe technology and Super LED high capacity lithium ion battery to power optic with up to 50,000 hours of battery life. Making this the perfect sight to carry on hunting treks.
- IMPROVEMENTS: Includes Lock Mode from our 2018-2019 LE optic models. When Lock Mode is activated, it locks the buttons, preventing inadvertent setting changes. The buttons have been redesigned, placing them lower and out of the way.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Solar Failsafe allows the red dot sight to remain powered when the battery fails, it will automatically adjust brightness under lighting conditions. The Shake Wake feature shuts the LED off during periods of inactive movement.
- MULTI-COATED LENS: Optic equipment is manufactured using optical glass with multilayer coatings applied to facilitate maximum light transmission and wear resistance while reducing glare vision.
This HOLOSUN model comes with an adjustable reticle system, providing the user with options on how they want to set up the dot. The multi-layer anti-scratch glass provides accurate and durable use in CCW scenarios.
You get 12 brightness settings with the HOLOSUN HS507C-X2, providing versatile use in low-light conditions, and it’s also compatible with night vision systems. There’s a lens cloth included with your purchase.
- High-quality firearms optics brand
- Compatible with Picatinny rails
- CR1632 coin battery
- 12 brightness settings
- Compatible with night vision
- Shake-awake sensor
- Lens cloth included
This model is a great choice for handgun owners. It’s essentially the same sight as the previous model, but with a setup for handguns. You get universal compatibility with all the leading brands, including Glock.
This red dot sight is a great choice for sports shooters, law enforcement, and home defense. You get a 6.5 MOA ruing, with adjustable red dot settings to suit your shooting environment.
- SOLAR FAILSAFE: Holosun's Solar Power Failsafe Technology allows the red dot sight to remain reliably powered if your battery ever fails in a critical situation. The battery life can last up to 50,000 hours depending on settings.
- AUTOMATIC BRIGHTNESS ADJUSTMENT: With the Solar Failsafe feature, the reticle will automatically become bright if you are under the sun, and will automatically dim down when you move indoors to match ambient lighting conditions.
- SHAKE AWAKE: With Holosun's Shake Awake Technology, the slightest movement will enable the on-board motion sensor to instantly activate the LED. During periods of motionlessness, the LED will turn off to save critical battery life.
- MULTI-RETICLE SYSTEM: With this feature, you can turn toggle sections of the reticle based on the job at hand and preferred vision. Select between the precision of a 2 MOA dot, a 65 MOA open circle, or a fast acquisition circle-dot reticle.
- MULTI-LAYER COATINGS: Holosun optics are manufactured using optical glass with multi-layer coatings applied to facilitate maximum light transmission and wear resistance while reducing glare, making for a great addition to your gear.
This red dot sight from HOLOSUN comes with 12 brightness settings, and it’s compatible with low-light use and night vision. You get an unlimited field-of-view, with a titanium alloy frame that’s shock-resistant, helping the sight remain stable after firing.
This HOLOSUN model features extended battery life, thanks to the solar failsafe setting that helps the battery receive energy from the sun to power the red dot. The parallax-free sight also comes with unlimited eye-relief, providing an optimal shooting experience with your firearm.
- QD integration for easy mount and removal
- Up to 50,000 hours of operation on a single CR2032 battery
- 65 MOA ring with multiple modes
- Titanium-alloy shock-resistant casing
- Battery/solar hybrid operation
- 12 brightness settings
- Tray battery compartment for easy access
This HOLOSUN red dot is an excellent choice for hunters. With this model, you get the best compatibility with hunting and assault weapons, offering you compatibility with various platforms. This HOLOSUN model comes with a 20mm micro-optical sight, featuring use in carbine applications.
- Product Type: Aiming Scope Sight
- Package Height: 11.937 Centimeters
- Package Length: 7.62 Centimeters
- Package Width: 8.89 Centimeters
You get the same solar failsafe as the other HOLOSUN models in this review, providing extended battery service life. This HOLOSUN model also comes with 12 brightness settings and three modes, allowing you to customize your setup to your surroundings. There’s also functionality for use in low light conditions and with night vision.
This HOLOSUN model comes with a rubber lens cover and cleaning cloth to keep smudges off the scratch-resistant lens on your sight. This model comes with Shake-Awake technology, deactivating the sight after a few minutes of inactivity. As a result, you get a battery service life of up to 50,000-hours on this model.
- CR2032 battery for 2-year service life
- Solar failsafe
- Shake awake battery-saving technology
- 12 brightness settings
- Rubber lens cover and cloth included
- T10L Key included
- Low-profile mounting
Sig Sauer SOR01300 Romeo Zero
SIG gets another mention in this review for the Romeo Zero red dot. This model is an excellent choice for firearms owners. It comes with a set of base plates to suit various pistol platforms from leading manufacturers.
This red dot sight features weapons-grade Ultralite polymer housing, ensuring the sight’s weight has no impact on the pistol’s balance in your hands. This model includes textured side plates to enhance your grip surface on your firearm.
- The fastest, most accurate, ultra-compact micro reflex sight – the ROMEOZero has been optimized for everyday concealed carry and guns with slim slide profiles
- The sight features a ruggedized, textured polymer body and the SpectraCoat HD Polymer lens system with 10 times the impact resistance over traditional glass lenses
- Stippling pattern on the housing matches P365 and P365XL grip pattern, for an integrated look; 8 vivid, user-configurable daytime illumination levels
- MOTAC (Motion Activated Illumination System) that powers up when it senses motion and powers down when it does not; Parallax free
- Highly efficient, point source LED emitter for a crisp dot that is 8 times more efficient than conventional red dots
You get a micro red dot sight with 2.5 MOA and eight adjustable brightness levels to suit your shooting conditions. This SIG model features the patented MOTAC (motion-activated illumination system), conserving your battery life when the sight is not in use.
The Sig Sauer Romeo Zero is easy to zero, and it’s a fantastic choice for sports shooting, law enforcement, or home defense.
- Universal compatibility with a range of pistols
- Suitable for pistol-caliber carbines like the MPX
- Micro red dot sight with 2.5 MOA
- Adjustable brightness
- Stippled sides for extra grip
- Ultralite polymer housing
- Eight brightness settings
Sig Sauer SOR50000 Romeo5
Sig Sauer and HOLOSUN sights are some of the best models available, with a wide range of configurations to suit any platform. This Romeo5 model from Sig is another addition to its range of red dot sites for rifles. This model is a great choice for tactical use, with a 2.0 MOA, for long-distance shooting.
SIG produces top-quality firearms accessories at an affordable price point. This red dot is a great choice for your carbine setup, and it’s easy to zero. MOTAC (Motion-Activated Illumination) helps to shut down the sight after an extended period of inactivity. As a result, you get a battery life of up to 40,000-hours.
- 2 MOA Red-Dot provides 10 illumination settings (8 daylight plus 2 NV) for visibility in all light conditions
- MOTAC (Motion Activated Illumination) powers up when it senses motion and powers down when it does not.
- Provides for optimum operational safety and enhanced 50,000+ hour battery life
- Integrated M1913 Picatinny interface provides industry-standard mounting options for a wide range of applications
- Objective Clear Aperture: 20 mm Eye Relief: Unlimite. Illumination Settings: 8 Daytime / 2 . NV Elevation Adjustment Range: +/- 40 MO. Windage Adjustment Range: +/- 40. MOA Reticle: 2 MOA Red Dt. Adjustment increments: 0.5 MOA Battery: (1) CR203. Includes a co-witness 1.41"" riser mount
This red dot comes with an integrated adapter for Picatinny rail systems, allowing easy installation to your rifle, carbine, or shotgun. The system comes with an IPX7 waterproof rating for use in the most demanding conditions.
This model comes with ten brightness settings, including eight for use in the daylight and dual night vision settings for versatile use.
- Affordable quality
- 2 MOA red dot
- Ten brightness settings
- Two night-vision modes
- 40,000-hour battery life
- M1913 Picatinny interface
- IPX7 waterproof
UTG OP3 Micro Red 4 MOA
This UTG model makes an excellent choice for your firearm red dot sight. This model comes with compatibility to leading firearms manufacturers, including Walther. You get a precision machined 6061-T6 aluminum body, featuring anti-shock resistance to eliminate flickering between shots.
- Precision Machined from 6061-T6 Aluminum Construction Finished in a Matte Black Anodization, IPX7 Waterproof Rated
- Red 4. 0 MOA Single Dot with 8 Power Intensity Settings to Accommodate Different Weather/Light Conditions, Larger Field of View Lens
- 55, 000+ Hours Battery Life at Middle Brightness Setting, Crisp 1 MOA per Click Adjustment, Magnetized Battery Compartment Reduces Chance of Flicker
- Mounting Base Interface Uses the Common Docter Footprint, Removable Low Profile Picatinny Mounting Base Included
- Co-witnesses with Most Suppressor Height Iron Sights, Rear face of Optic Hood Laser Engraved with Tertiary Aiming Point
It’s the ideal choice for sports shooters and home defense, providing an MOA up to 4.0, with eight brightness settings to suit environmental lighting conditions. The anti-scratch lens offers a wide field-of-view, with an adjustable mounting base to suit a wide variety of pistols.
This model comes with a matte-black anodized finish that’s wear-resistant, ensuring your holster doesn’t cause any wearing on the side plates. This red dot sight features a co-witness for most suppressor heights and a laser-engraved optic hood with a tertiary aim.
- Precision machined 6061-T6 aluminum
- Matte black anodized finish
- 55,000-hours battery life
- 4.0 MOA
- Eight brightness and power settings
- Magnetized battery compartment reduces flicker
- IPX7 waterproof rating
TRUGLO Red-Dot 2x42mm
Hunters and snipers will get the best value from this Truglo scope with a red dot sight. This model features a 2x24mm aperture and magnification, with unlimited eye relief for comfortable targeting at any distance.
This Truglo model comes with flip-up lens caps and scratchproof lenses. You get a wide field-of-view, with excellent imaging of targets at a distance. This red dot comes with an integrated weaver-style mounting system and adjustable zoom.
- Shock resistant to 1000 grams
- See-thru, Flip-up lens caps
- Optical-quality, all-weather, rheostat for brightness control
The Truglo comes with an adjustable 5.0 MOA reticle for fast targeting and a lanyard system for use off-rifle.
This model comes with a battery included and a runtime of 20,000-hours. There’s a rheostat for brightness control, providing up to 95% light transmission through the lens. As a result, you get crisp, clear images, even in low-light conditions.
- Weaver-style mounting system
- Unlimited eye relief
- Flip-up lens caps
- An ideal choice for sniper and hunting rifles
- Wide field of view
- 2.5 MOA
- Battery included
- Lightweight and easy to mount
Other Best Selling Options
- 2 MOA Red-Dot provides 10 illumination settings (8 daylight plus 2 NV) for visibility in all light conditions
- MOTAC (Motion Activated Illumination) powers up when it senses motion and powers down when it does not. Provides for optimum operational safety and enhanced 40,000+ hour battery life
- Integrated M1913 Picatinny interface provides industry-standard mounting options for a wide range of applications
- Dependable waterproof (IPX-7 rated for complete water immersion up to 1 meter) and fog-proof performance
- Includes a M1913 Picatinny low mount riser and a co-witness 1.41in riser mount
- [The RXS-100] is the new market leader in price and performance. Class leading value starts with multi-platform versatility with its DeltaPoint Pro mounting pattern, daylight bright 4 MOA dot with 8 settings, side battery door, up to 5000 hours of battery life, and an included Weaver-style low-rise mount.Min Parallax Distance : 50 yds
- [REFLEX SIGHT] RXS-100 has a clear 4 MOA dot with 8 brightness settings
- [ADDITIONAL FEATURES] Detented windage/elevation, top loading battery for easy replacement, mounts on an array of pistols, MSRs, and shotguns.
- [PURPOSE BUILT QUALITY] Rugged aircraft grade durable aluminum construction, long lasting 5,000 hour (on mid-setting) battery
- [IDEAL FOR] Training/target shooting, home defense, Hunting
- Matte black featuring a 3 MOA Dot reticle with 11 brightness settings; Mounts easily on most picatinny rails and is compatible with pistols, shotguns, rifles and muzzleloaders.Adjustment Range : 70+ MOA
- Waterproof construction: O ring sealed optics stay dry inside, even when totally immersed in water. Parallax - 50
- Shockproof construction: Built to withstand bumps, bangs, drops and the rough and tumble environment of the field
- Nitrogen purged fog proofing: Nitrogen inside the scope ensures interior optical surfaces won’t fog due to humidity or rapid temperature change
- ACCURATE - This Beileshi 3-4 MOA red dot sight allows for accurate, both eyes open shooting. Multi-coated scratch resistant lens provides enhanced image clarity and increases light transmission during low light situations.
- 2 HEIGHT MOUNT OPTIONS - Offers two height options (Low and Lower 1/3 Co-Witness), lending its functionality on any platform.
- DURABLE - A shockproof aluminum body displays extreme durability. Nitrogen purged and O-ring sealed. Fully waterproof with sealed housing. Matte black anodized finish resists scratches while keeping a stealthy profile.
- MULTI LEVELS OF BRIGHTNESS - 11 red dot brightness settings provide optimal visibility in any light conditions, let shooters cater the dot intensity to the situation at hand.
- COMPACT - The small but adaptable optics are perfect for a wide range of daytime applications including hunting, tactical scenarios and precision shooting. Ideal for close-range and general shooting.
- Tubeless design with 33mm reflex lens aperture provides a wide field of view, suitable for rapid-firing or shooting of moving targets besides normal shooting
- Dual illuminated ( red and green);4 reticle shapes in one reflex sight, provide various choices in different occasions, like sunshine, cloudy day.
- Parallax corrected & unlimited eye-relief, improving the accuracy of holographic sights. Allen head screw type windage and elevation click adjustments, with locking screw, easy to adjust zero and hold well.
- The red dot sight is precision machined from high grade aluminum alloy with a matte black anodized, includes standard profile Picatinny mounting base. Reflex sight with fully multi-coated lenses provides bright and clear views for the user.
- Screen Size: 22mmx33mm;Weight: 130g; Item Dimensions：3.15in*1.37in*2.08in(8cm*3.5cm*5.3cm)
Red Dot Sight Buyer’s Guide
If you’re a newbie to shooting a red dot can improve your accuracy fast. For pro shooters and tactical trainees, a red dot improves shot times and efficiency when running stages. A red dot can make or break your performance in training – and a real self-defense situation.
The faster you find your sights, the sooner you can pull the trigger. If you find yourself in a tactical situation where you need to draw on a threat, if you can’t find your sites fast enough – it could cost you your life.
With a red dot sight, you get a tool for your firearm that bridges that critical skill newbies are lacking, allowing them to drive the gun on target faster. There are red dot systems for all platforms, from pistols to shotguns and long guns.
What is the MOA of the Red Dot Sight?
The “Minutes of Angle” (MOA) is a term used to describe a circular surface’s angular measurement. The higher the MOA, the larger the red dot appears in your viewfinder window. Choose the right MOA to match your shooting application.
- 1.0 MOA – This MOA is suitable for shooting targets at a distance.
- 2.5 MOA – This MOA is the most popular size, ideal for tactical shooting and self-defense.
- 5.0 MOA – This MOA offers excellent resetting in speed and sports shooting competitions.
What Do I Need to Look for in a Red Dot Sight?
- Battery Life – Most red dot sights come with battery operation. Therefore, they need a motion-detection system that turns off the sight after a period of inactivity.
- Solar backup – Look for models featuring solar battery backups, and never have your sight die when you need it most.
- Window Lens Glass – Look for models using high-quality glass in the lens. The lens is the crux of the sight, and the better the lens, the better the operation of the red dot sight.
- Dot Color Modes – Some red dot sights allow you to change the dot’s color from red to green or blue to suit your shooting preferences.
- Brightness Modes – Look for red dot sights that offer multiple brightness modes. This feature allows you to adjust the sight to the light conditions in your environment. Maybe it’s overcast at the tactical range, or the lights are on the dimmer setting at the range. This feature customizes your setup to your conditions.
- Night Vision Functionality – If you’re looking for night vision functionality in your red dot, you’ll need to choose a compatible unit. These settings allow you to drop the brightness to a level you can’t see with the naked eye. Therefore, when you position the sight in front of the night vision, you don’t experience the blooming effect from the red dot’s additional light.
- Compatibility – Look for models that offer compatibility with as many firearms manufacturers as possible. Many models come with multiple mounting plates, making it easy to install the sight on various platforms from different manufacturers.
- Tool-less Fitment – The best red dots offer you tool-less fitment and adjustment of the sight on your gun.
- Field-of-view – Look for models that offer wide FOV to enhance your target window.
How Do I Choose a Red Dot for My Rifle, Carbine, or Handgun?
Choosing the right red dot sight to match your firearm is critical. Some models only fit pistols or rifles. Others might come with a model-specific design – like the SIG AIR, which only works with the P320 range.
Other manufacturers produce red dot setups for universal use with any firearms model or manufacturer.
If you have multiple platforms, you might want some that offer flexibility across all guns, or you might want a model-specific red dot for each of your firearms.
Choose the model that suits your weapon and your budget. The more features you get with a red dot, the higher the price tag. Remember to look for trusted brands in firearms accessories, like HOLOSUN, Leupold, and Sig Sauer.
How Do I Zero in a Red Dot Sight?
It depends on the manufacturer. However, most offer a general rule of thumb of setting up your target at 15-feet and then 30-feet. Check on your grouping at each stage, and make your sight adjustments accordingly.
Zeroing a rifle sight with elevated mounting is different than zeroing an open red dot on a pistol. However, they both follow the same process of setting up your target and checking your groupings.
What are the Types of Red Dot Sights?
These sights are the most common system used in red dots. They use a LED dot projection into the viewfinder window on the red dot sight. The lens acts as a mirror, causing the image to appear slightly darker.
It’s important to note that there are two types of reflex sights. The tube-shaped model resembles a shorter rifle-style scope. The second is an open-window design for use in pistols.
These sights are like what you find in rifle scopes. However, with these models, you get fewer lenses. A prismatic sight flips the image to make it appear right-side-up in your targeting window.
Also known by shooters as “holographic diffraction sights.” These red dots utilize a laser-transmitted reticle hologram, introduced in 3D space onto holographic film. They are a non-magnified system, reflecting light off object scenes. They decode, record, and reconstruct the surrounding light field in the targeting area.
Red Dot Accessories
A red dot magnifier is an excellent accessory for your red dot sight. This addition allows for extended magnification, and it’s useful in long gun applications.
Most magnifier accessories come with a 3x or 4x magnification, featuring a flip side-mount system. Look for models that offer easy switching between red dot with magnification or red dot-only modes.
Red Dot Sight FAQs
Can I sight in my red dot without shooting?
Yes, you need to sight-in the red dot. The red dot amplifies the object, allowing you to find your sights faster. Therefore, you need an accurate representation of the reticle in the viewfinder window before pressing the trigger.
Can I use my red dot sight at night?
Most red dots come with adjustable light settings, allowing for accurate targeting in low light conditions. However, a few of the systems integrate with night vision. Therefore, with the NV setting, you get the use of your red dot sight at night.
How accurate is a red dot sight?
If you want to take your shooting performance to new levels, you need a red dot sight. A red dot produces tight groupings, making a newbie look like an expert in a few hundred rounds of practice with their firearm.
For pro shooters, a red dot improves transition times between targets and easy identification in tactical courses. Since most red dots come with adjustable MOA, they’re suitable for fitment in a wide range of shooting applications, from close range to long distance.
Where can I buy the best Red Dot Sight
We recommend signing up with Amazon for your red dot sight. Amazon offers free shipping to its Prime members, with fast delivery times and buyer protection on your order.
You get the best product range and affordable prices compared to other online retailers. Amazon also offers hassle-free exchanges and returns on all products.
Red Dot Sights – The Verdict
After reading through the reviews and buyer’s guide, you probably have a few models in mind for the best red dot sight. We realize it’s challenging to settle on the ideal model for your rifle, pistol, or carbine. If you’re battling with landing on your preferred choice, why not go with one of our top picks?
- The Trijicon SRO IS a top-quality red dot sight, featuring eight brightness modes and adjustable 4.0 MOA. This red dot comes with a wide FOV, scratch-resistant lens, and easy tool-less fitment to a wide range of pistols.
- The Leupold DeltaPoint Pro is our choice for the best premium red dot sight in this review. This Leupold model comes with top-quality engineering and design, with outstanding lenses, unlimited FOV 2.0 MOA up to 6.5 MOA, and compatibility with a range of long guns and pistols.
- The Sig Sauer SIG AIR is the best choice for Sig P320 owners. This model comes with six brightness modes, high-quality lenses, a 2.5 MOA, and an affordable price tag.