Today’s technology environment has us all connected to our devices for most of the daytime and into the evening. Whether you’re a student in a university or commuting to a day job, you need a backpack to store your essentials.
The stationery and equipment needs of the average worker or student changed a lot over the last decade. Today, everyone carries their phone, along with an ultra-thin, lightweight laptop in their bag. Other devices like tablets, powerbanks, and hard drives are all typical items you’d expect to find in your average Gen Z or Millennial back.
Since we’re no longer dealing with schoolbooks and pencils, but more with keyboards and screens, the dynamics of the backpack need to change to meet the times. Todays “smart” backpacks come with functionality to keep you wired into your online presence and wireless devices while you’re out.
In this review, we’ll look at the best smart backpacks, and unpack everything that you need to know when buying your bag. A smart backpack is an essential item for the urban sprawl around any city, from charging to anti-theft protection -there are plenty of functions and features included with these bags.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Smart Backpacks Reviews
- 2.1 Nomatic Travel Bag – The Best Overall Smart Backpack
- 2.2 The Nomatic 20L Backpack – The Best Premium Smart Backpack
- 2.3 The Yorepek Extra Large Travel Backpack – The Best Budget SmartBackpack
- 2.4 Sosoon Laptop Backpack
- 2.5 Sunnybag Explorer+
- 2.6 Himawari Smart Laptop Backpack
- 2.7 Modoker Vintage Smart Backpack
- 2.8 Mancro Anti-Theft Laptop Backpack
- 2.9 Korin ClickPack Pro
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Smart Backpacks Buyer’s Guide
- 4.1 What is “Smart” about a Backpack?
- 4.2 How Much Storage Space Does the Backpack Have?
- 4.3 Is the Bag Design Durable and Weather-Resistant?
- 4.4 Multi-Use Functionality
- 4.5 How Much Does the Backpack Weigh?
- 4.6 Ergonomic Design
- 4.7 Ventilated Back Pads
- 4.8 What are the Best Features of a Smart Backpack for Commuters?
- 4.9 What are the Features of a Smart Backpack for Travelers?
- 5 Smart Backpacks FAQs
- 6 The Verdict
We get it, you’re busy, and you want us to get to the punchline. If you don’t have the time to read the entire review, check out our top picks.
Best Pick: Nomatic Travel Bag
- LIFE ON THE MOVE: Patented strap design allows you to switch between duffle bag and backpack and you never have to worry about dangling straps again! Whether you're headed to the gym, the office, or a weekend getaway the 30L travel bag will hold everything you need.
- 20+ INNOVATIVE FEATURES: Find your things easily with pockets designed specifically for shoes, liquids, tech, and everything in-between. Including a full perimeter zipper, RFID safe pocket, roller bag sleeve, mesh pockets, cord pass through easy access pocket, water bottle pocket, water resistant pocket, shoe compartment that fits 2 pairs of shoes with a ventilated door, and more!
- TSA READY: Imagine security without juggling bins, the TSA ready laptop sleeve lays flat so you can leave your laptop in the bag when passing through airport security.
- GO ANYWHERE, DO ANYTHING: Measuring 9" x 19" x 13" it makes the perfect carry on travel bag, fitting underneath the seat and in overhead compartment
- BUILT TO WITHSTAND: We know traveling can be rough on your belongings so we engineered this bag to be durable and long-lasting, created with water resistant materials and zippers keeping your precious cargo safe, always.
Smart backpacks include innovative design that helps you improve your user experience. No brand does this better than Nomatic. The 30L travel bag is the best choice for commuters and travelers with plenty of accessible storage, and compact design that wastes no space. The pack’s design comes with several innovations, making it a standout in the mid-to-large smart backpack range.
Premium Pick: The Nomatic 20L Backpack
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: We stand by the quality of our soft goods with a manufacturer's lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. Our lifetime warranty makes sure all materials and workmanship stand up to normal wear and tear.
- DIMENSIONS: Simple expansion process makes it easy to expand from a 20L bag to a 24L. Bag dimensions are 18.5"x5"x12" and weighs 3lbs and 10 OZ. The innovative strap system adds a level of versatility to the bag that can help you look professional or escape the demands of your profession. Simply unsnap the back panel, tuck in the straps, and snap it back down to carry like a briefcase.
- DURABILITY: Made from water resistant Kodra 500D Tarpaulin fabric. All exterior zippers are waterproof. Lifetime Guarantee
- FUNCTIONALITY:The 2 exterior waterbottle pockets have magnetic snaps shut to maintain a sleek look when it’s not in use, and expands when you need the space. The retractable key leash. Easily lockup with one hand, release the key, and watch it effortlessly
- Pockets: Specific pockets designed to carry your phone and laptop charger, planner, notebook, phone, laptop, tablet, water bottle, keys, sunglasses, phone, wallet, etc... Fits most 15.5" screened laptops ant 12" tablets
Nomatic is the leading brand in smart backpacks, and this model is the best premium model on offer in this review. This unique pack comes with an expansion system to take it from 20L to 24L. With a clean, sleek design and premium materials, this pack is a top choice for any traveler or commuter looking for an accommodative day pack.
Budget Pick: The Yorepek Extra Large Travel Backpack
- Large capacity and organized: Large laptop backpack owns 20 independent pockets for large storage and organization for small items. 3 spacious main multi compartments with many hidden pockets can accommodate lots of stuff like college supplies, travel accessories, clothes, stationery, notebook, cord organizer, side deep zipper pocket for easy access essentials, Side elastic net pockets conveniently hold travel gear umbrellas or water bottles. A great back to school gifts for college students
- TSA approved and multipurpose: At checkpoint, unfolds the extra-large backpack freely 90-180 degrees making you quickly through the airport security and keep items tidy, exclusive designed for airplane travel. The big backpack is perfect for indoor/outdoor activities. Served as a durable laptop backpack, large school backpack for Teen Boys/Girls, large laptop bag or spacious college backpack. Perfect travel gifts for men who like international travel, camping, hiking, and overnight trip
- Practical and convenient: external USB port with set-in charging cable offers convenient charging your cellphone and other electronic devices everywhere. A hole for headphone outside gives easy access to Earphone usage. Also, the student backpack with a sturdy rugged handle with steel cable on the top for carrying. Side compression straps keep the exclusive backpack at whatever size you require.As a Men's/women's backpack,it's a great gift idea for men, can use as Mother's/Father's day gift.
- LARGE and DURABLE MATERIAL: Size of extra large backpack: 19. 0x14. 6x10. 2 (inches), Capacity: 45L, separate padded laptop compartment hold for 13 inch MacBook, 14, 15,15.6 and up to 17inch Laptop/computers (Laptop over 17inch or thick please buy 18.4inch backpack)for boys and girls, teens, adults, women, men and teacher. The scan smart laptop backpack made from high quality polyester fabric shockproof with high density nylon lining for better TEAR and WATER RESISTANT and heavy duty backpack
- Comfortable: Tech backpack with back U shaped three-dimensional ventilation design help for air convection, ventilation and heat elimination. Comfortable wide breathable mesh shoulder straps with plentiful sponge pad help relieve the stress from your shoulder. Both sides of the shoulder strap with lanyard design can hang sunglasses and other small pendants. Premium Bookbags for men Also computer backpack for women. An ideal present for men women as Valentine's Day Gifts/Anniversary gifts.
If you’re a traveler or commuter on a budget, check out the Yorepek. This smart backpack features built-in charging ports for your devices. Connect a USB to the external port on the bag, and power your equipment on the move. The smart airflow system keeps your back comfortable and dry, and there’s plenty of handy storage space available for laptops, devices, and other apparel. Best of all, it comes at an affordable price.
Smart Backpacks Reviews
Now that you have an idea of our top choices, it’s time to unpack them in further detail. In this review, we’ll look at the best models available. We include functionality, capacity, design, style, price, and security as our qualifying criteria for picking the best smart backpacks.
Nomatic Travel Bag – The Best Overall Smart Backpack
If you’re looking for the best overall smart backpack option, this Nomatic 30L model is the top choice in this review. Made with durable, waterproof materials, it’s suitable as a carry-on for air travel and commuting.
The features of this backpack include a roller-bag passthrough handle for compatibility with other luggage systems. You get an RFID security pocket that protects your wallet and credit card information, cord management compartments, detachable waist straps for additional stability during use, and reflective ink on the logo.
The bag has plenty of spaces for gadgets and gear, with specialized compartments for your socks and underwear. There’s a dedicated laptop compartment, notebook compartment, and a shoe compartment with this bag.
You get the cross-over functionality between duffel and backpack, and this model is TSA compliant.
- Anti-theft design with hidden zippers and compartment access
- Ergonomic design for easy access to specialized compartments when you need them
- Waterproof design with breathable harness and back pad
- Converts from backpack to duffel carry
- Compatible with other luggage systems
- Multiple grab points
- No onboard, dedicated USB charging ports
- Zippers might stick when the pack is full
The Nomatic 20L Backpack – The Best Premium Smart Backpack
If you’re a jet-setting businessperson and want the best smart backpack for traveling, we recommend the Nomatic 20L model. This bag features an expandable design, improving the volume by 20% from 20L to 24L.
The elegant and stylish look of the backpack has a premium feel, with outstanding water resistance and durable materials used in the design and manufacture of this pack. You get the same dual-functionality with this model, allowing you to switch between backpack and duffel.
Inside, you get a dedicated RFID security pocket protecting your essentials, and plenty of space for clothing. The dedicated laptop sleeve fits up to a 15-inch laptop. You get two external water bottle pockets that snap shut with magnetic clasps.
We like the internal key chain that prevents you from losing your keys. This bag is an excellent choice for commuters that want a stylish but functional smart backpack. The Kodra 500D Tarpaulin fabric is durable and weather resistant, ensuring a long service life for this pack.
- Anti-theft protection with locking zippers
- Stylish design with high-quality materials
- Blocks RFID scanners with dedicated security pocket
- Expandable from 20 to 24L
- Waterproof construction with Kodra 500D Tarpaulin fabric
- Multiple grab-handles to convert to duffel carry
- Premium Price
The Yorepek Extra Large Travel Backpack – The Best Budget SmartBackpack
For those commuters and travelers looking for the best budget buy in this review, the Yorepek is the best option.; this backpack comes with plenty of storage space, dedicated smart compartments for cables, and a port from your headphones that links to your essentials storage pocket.
We like the external USB that allows you to connect a cable to your smartphone, allowing you to stay connected and charged on the move. The generous space in the main compartment has a dedicated laptop pouch capable of storing a 17-inch model.
The deep side water bottle pockets are useful, and there are pockets for your keys. This backpack unzips flat to 180-degrees, for a TSA-friendly design that’s easy to move through airport security.
- External USB charging port for your devices
- TSA-approved for use in airports and travel
- Water-resistant materials
- Adjustable straps for expansion
- Headphone hole
- Powerbank connection
- 180-degree foldout
- Breathable and comfortable padding on back and straps
- Affordable for travelers and commuters on a budget
- No battery included
- No anti-theft system
Sosoon Laptop BackpackThis model is a great choice for students looking for a bookcase and laptop carrier for school. There’s plenty of storage space and loads of dedicated pockets for your essentials like sunglasses, keys, devices, cables, and stationery.
The main compartment is spacious, and you get options for 15-inch or 17-inch laptop compartments when purchasing. This smart backpack comes in five color combinations, and it has an affordable price tag.
We like the padded massage shoulder straps, and the external USB port that connects to your powerbank inside the bag, and a USB cable on the outside that you can plug into your device.
The 1680D double-pile polyester fabric is both durable and water-resistant, and you get a built-in security lock with a hidden pocket in the back of the bag.
Sosoon offers lifetime support when you buy this bag. It also provides you the same 180-degree folding functionality as the Yorepek, and the pack pad features a breathable material for a comfortable fit and wear.
- Built-in external USB charging port
- Anti-theft design with lock shackles
- TSA approved for use in airports and on flights
- Four compartments with plenty of space for clothes, laptop, documents, and necessities
- Unfolds 180-degrees for easy airport checks
- Compatible with other luggage systems
- Breathable padding with massage mats included
- No internal powerbank included
If you’re thinking about going hiking or camping this weekend, consider taking the Sunnybag+ with you. This bag features design and construction with premium Wetterfestes Polyester Textil.
This weatherproof fabric keeps your electronics and essentials dry. This model also has a dedicated pocket for your essentials, with loops for hanging keys and karabiners from the zips for easy access.
Inside the main compartment, you have plenty of room for documents and files, as well as a dedicated pocket for a 15-inch laptop, and a 12-inch tablet. The side water bottle pockets are deep, but we think the fabric mesh feels a bit flimsy.
The backpack features an external USB port and an attachable, lightweight solar panel for charging your powerbank. This model can absorb enough energy during the day to charge your cellphone six times.
The solar panel works in both direct and indirect sunlight, charging your devices as you go. You also get a retractable combination lock and cable for added security. The ergonomic backpack shoulder pads are comfortable, and you get excellent airflow through the back pad, keeping you dry.
The Sunnybag also features secret pockets for hiding your essentials away from the prying eyes of criminals.
- Includes a solar-charged power bank that charges you devices up to six-times
- Charges in indirect and direct sunlight
- Built-in Bluetooth speakers with 96-hour run time
- Integrated security locks with retractable cable
- Water-resistant materials
- A comfortable and breathable back pad and adjustable straps
- Ergonomic and stylish design
- Not suitable for 17-inch laptops
- Speakers not the best quality
Himawari Smart Laptop Backpack
If you’re as concerned about fashion as you are function, then the Himawari smart backpack is the best model in this review for your tastes. This stylish and elegant backpack features dual-carry design for backpack and carry-bag formats.
You get elegant gold-colored zippers with stylish handles, and it opens like a standard Kelly bag. Inside the bag, you have plenty of storage space for all your essentials. There are dedicated compartments for iPads and laptops, as well as open and zipper pockets.
The lightweight design of this bag features premium materials adding water-resistance to the bag to protect your electronics. The backpack straps are comfortable and supportive, with plenty of padding for a comfortable fit.
This backpack comes in a massive range of colors to choose to match your style. Use it for work, as a mom diaper bag, or as a bag for commuting.
- Stylish, chic design
- Ideal for businesswomen that want to stay connected on the move
- Lightweight and spacious design
- Backpack and duffel carry positions
- Padded shoulder straps with breathable back pad
- Attractive zipper hardware with locking capability
- Comes in a variety of color combinations
- No built-in USB charging
- Moderate water protection
Modoker Vintage Smart BackpackThe Modoker has the student in mind with this backpack. The pack features a classic retro design, and this bag is deceptively smart. The anti-theft straps and buckles ensure it’s not that easy for someone to get into your pack when you’re distracted.
The Modoker is available in five vibrant colors, with heavy nylon materials and reinforced stitching, ensuring a long-lasting, robust, and durable bag. You get built-in connectivity with the external USB port that connects to an internal powerbank and external USB cable – charge your device on the move.
You get comfortable, adjustable shoulder straps to reduce the strain on your back. This model is the ideal backpack for school kids that want an individual look with smart capability at school this summer. The interior of the bag has plenty of compartments, with pockets for essentials, documents, and a dedicated 15-inch laptop sleeve.
The straps of this model breathe well, and the padded rear panel is comfortable against your back. This model is an excellent choice for commuting, but we wouldn’t take it on international trips.
- External USB charging port
- Seven storage compartments
- Anti-theft buckles
- Various colors available
- Plenty of storage space
- Not fully water-resistant
- No external headphone ports
- Lacks anti-theft protection on zips
Mancro Anti-Theft Laptop Backpack
If you’re looking for a high-security commuting bag, this model is your best option. This anti-theft backpack secures your essentials and valuables during transit. The combination lock on the main compartment keeps your 15-inch laptop secure, with spacious storage for other items like a wireless mouse, books, diary, and cables.
An exterior pocket is a great place for storing your wallet and travel documents for easy access when in transit. The second exterior pocket isn’t as generous as the main pocket. However, you still have plenty of room for your mobile device, a few pens, and a tablet.
The bag is deceptively accommodative. When looking at it packed up for the outside, you would think it would only carry half the stuff you can fit in it. This smart pack comes in six colors, with adjustable shoulder and side straps to help you pack the bag down when it’s not full.
The side pockets are suitable for holding flat documents like train tickets, and you secure the pockets using snap buttons for protection.
- External USB charge port
- Plenty of storage space
- Combination zipper locks
- Water-resistant material
- Clean and stylish design
- Adjustable straps
- Various colors available
- Not suitable for 17-inch laptops
- No built-in charging capacity
- No side water bottle pockets
Korin ClickPack Pro
Rounding off our review, we have the Korin smart backpack. This model is expensive, but the functionality and features are fantastic. You get a slash-resistant hard-shell with material covering preventing someone from cutting the bag open and stealing your stuff.
The material is FRID scanner resistant, ensuring that no-one has access to the data in your bank card chip in your wallet. The backpack folds out flat for smooth movement through airport security. This TSA compliant model is an excellent choice for travelers and commuters.
There is a USB charging port on the exterior and interior for connecting powerbanks, and USB cables to power your device on the move.
- Anti-theft design with locking protection
- Clean features with plenty of storage
- Built-in external USB charging port
- RFID protection on essentials pocket
- Knife resistant material against slash-and-dash
- Hardshell design
- Challenging to fit larger devices like laptops
Other Best Selling Options
- ★LOTS OF STORAGE SPACE&POCKETS: One separate laptop compartment hold 15.6 Inch Laptop as well as 15 Inch,14 Inch and 13 Inch Macbook/Laptop. One spacious packing compartment roomy for daily necessities,tech electronics accessories. Front compartment with many pockets, pen pockets and key fob hook, make your items organized and easier to find
- ★COMFY&STURDY: Comfortable airflow back design with thick but soft multi-panel ventilated padding, gives you maximum back support. Breathable and adjustable shoulder straps relieve the stress of shoulder. Foam padded top handle for a long time carry on
- ★FUNCTIONAL&SAFE: A luggage strap allows backpack fit on luggage/suitcase, slide over the luggage upright handle tube for easier carrying. With a hidden anti theft pocket on the back protect your valuable items from thieves. Well made for international airplane travel and day trip as a travel gift for men
- ★USB PORT DESIGN: With built in USB charger outside and built in charging cable inside,this usb backpack offers you a more convenient way to charge your phone while walking. It's a great tech gift for him from wife, daughter and son. Please noted that this backpack doesn't power itself, usb charging port only offers an easy access to charge
- ★DURABLE MATERIAL&SOLID: Made of Water Resistant and Durable Polyester Fabric with metal zippers. Ensure a secure & long-lasting usage everyday & weekend.Serve you well as professional office work bag,slim USB charging bagpack,college high school big student backpack for boys,girls,teens,adults
- 【LIFE-TIME QUALITY ASSURANCE】 Life-time quality assurance from Tzowla and friendly 24 hours customer service.Please be kindly noted that the Laptop Backpacks Only Sold by TzowlaDirect are the Tzowla Authentic Backpacks. The Backpacks are Fulfillment by Amazon. We are not responsible for Tzowla backpacks sold by other sellers except by TzowlaDirect.
- 【CONVENIENT USB&HEADSET PORT DESIGN】 USB interface with built-in cable design, great convenience for charging your electronic devices via connecting your own power bank. And the headphone interface frees your hands when enjoying audios, music, etc.
- 【ANTI-THEFT DESIGN】 With Fixed Password Lock and Durable Metal Zippers, it is safe guaranteed for protecting your valuable items inside. No need to worry theft easily opening your backpack when you are travelling or lining up.
- 【MULTIPURPOSE BACKPACK】 High quality Polyester Fabric Material & Practical luggage Strap design & Comfortable Widen Padded Shoulder Strap & Built-in Key Ring design, fits for daily use at school, college, business and travel, suitable for women, men and students.
- 【LARGE CAPACITY】 External dimensions: 19.29x 11.8 x 5.43 inch. Multiple divider pockets, easy for holding 15.6 Inches laptop, water bottle, readers and a bunch of other items, iPad, journal, pens and pencils, iPhone.
- Anti-Theft Backpack: Made of strong anti-scratch /-cut fabric, this college backpack keeps your belongings pretty safe with hidden zippers of the main pocket and a secret pocket at the back
- Convenient Charging: Via the built-in charging cable on the inside of the laptop backpack and the USB charging port on the outside, you can just plug in and charge your device anywhere (Reminder: Power bank NOT included)
- Great for Your Electronics: The business backpack has versatile compartments for separately storing pens, phone, wallet, notebook, and up to 15.6 inches laptop – protected from shock with elastic band and velvet inside
- Less Stress, More Comfort: The adjustable shoulder straps, widened and well curved with padding, and EVA material at the back section of the laptop bagpack for back protection and breathability, can offer painless carrying for a few hours
- Meticulous & Minimalist Design: This school backpack is equipped with reflective strips on front for safe travelling at night, and a luggage strap that allows the travel backpack to hook to the suitcase
Smart Backpacks Buyer’s Guide
When putting together this review, we felt overwhelmed at the number of smart backpacks on offer. After starting with dozens of models, we rounded our choices to those models we included in this review.
However, each of the smart packs has vastly different characteristics and functionality. Some suit students, others are better for traveling through airports. Your lifestyle requirements will determine the right backpack to suit your needs.
In this section, we’ll go through everything you need to know when looking for the best smart backpacks.
What is “Smart” about a Backpack?
Some might look at the term “smart” and think that the backpack has something to do with technology, while others might view smart as access or design-related component. The reality is both opinions are correct.
Smart backpacks feature intelligent design and construction, allowing for higher levels of user functionality.
How often have you found yourself fumbling around for your passport in your bag while holding everyone up in the boarding line? With a smart pack, you know where everything is and can unzip the right pocket to find your passport without causing a fuss at the boarding gate.
Some smart backpacks feature smart-device integration. The bag has smart functionality like external USB capability to connect to an internal charging bank. Others include solar charging stems with decent battery capacities for camping and hiking purposes.
Choosing the right pack is about assessing it to match your needs. In this review, we have a range of packs to suit a variety of situations. Select the model that matches your lifestyle and your needs.
How Much Storage Space Does the Backpack Have?
The first test of any backpack is the storage space it offers. A smart backpack must have plenty of functional storage. That means dedicated compartments for items like sunglasses, devices, and other essentials you can grab at short notice.
Most bags will offer four or five compartments, each with specialized storage systems. The average bag contains one main compartment for clothing and a laptop compartment – with most bags accommodating a max laptop size of 15-inches.
You’ll have another compartment for other devices and documents and a fourth compartment for your essentials like headphones, cables, wallet, sunglasses, and ID. Other packs might come with wet and dry compartments or separate storage for shoes.
You need to determine what kind of storage space you need. If you’re taking your laptop, wallet, and essentials into the city for work, choose a streamlined version rather than a model with plenty of storage.
A good rule of thumb is to keep your size as minimalist as possible. Some packs, like the Nomatics, offers expandable capacity. You undo a clip, and you get 20% more room in the main compartment for longer trips.
A smart backpack might also feature connects and dedicated storage for a powerbank. That powerbank links to an external USB, and you can use it to charge your devices. Some models also feature headphone holes and dedicated compartments for powerbanks.
Is the Bag Design Durable and Weather-Resistant?
If you travel or commute in a rainy part of the country, weatherproofing materials will be an important part of your bag design. If it starts raining, you want to know that your laptop is safe. Most models feature light rain resistance, but if caught in a severe downpour, you’ll need a water-tight bag that keeps your electronics dry.
Look for durable materials in the design of your bag. Service life is critical, and features like protective feet and rubberized corners can ensure the materials in your backpack don’t start to tear and fray with heavy use. Look for good-quality zippers and hardware that won’t break, and keep running after years of use.
Some smart backpacks come with dual-carry functionality. Look for bags that feature a backpack setup, as well as an attaché or duffel-bag setup. The pack should allow you to fold away to the backpack straps when in the attaché carry position. This design helps to avoid airport conveyor belts catching the straps.
How Much Does the Backpack Weigh?
If you carry your pack for a distance when walking to school or work, the weight will make a difference. After a few miles of wearing a backpack, you’ll start to feel the effects of the design. The weight of the materials might seem insignificant at first, but with a few miles under your feet, it makes a world of difference.
Backpacks need to feature a lightweight design to reduce fatigue while carrying. Look for durable and lightweight materials that don’t add unnecessary pounds to the bag. Havier materials like nylon will weigh more, while Gore-Tex is lightweight, weather-resistant, and durable.
When selecting your backpack, the form factor of the pack makes a big difference when wearing it. Look for bags that distribute weight evenly across the straps and carry handles. The straps should have a curve to them, providing ergonomic fitment to your shoulders during wear.
When wearing your backpack, always use both straps. Only using one strap disrupts the balance of the backpack and starts to add user fatigue into your back and shoulders. Look for a pack with the right spinal shape and plenty of padding to reduce pressure on your spine during use.
Ventilated Back Pads
There’s nothing more frustrating than wearing a poor-quality backpack on a hot summer day. The pack traps heat, causing your back to sweat through your shirt. This experience is both frustrating and annoying, and it feels terrible.
Look for smart backpacks that feature breathable back pads. These pads use breathable foams with gel-infusion to promote airflow through the back pad, keeping you dry.
What are the Best Features of a Smart Backpack for Commuters?
The features of a smart backpack will be different for commuters and travelers. If you’re commuting to the city for work or university, you are probably traveling light. Therefore, a 20L to 15L backpack, or less, is all you need to carry your essentials, a few documents, and your laptop.
As a commuter, you’ll probably have your head in your phone most of the time. Don’t you hate running out of battery? Smart packs for commuter use feature external USB hubs for connecting to a BSB cable and your device. It’s a handy way to keep your devices charged up wherever you go.
Finally, smart backpacks for commuters keep your valuables locked away where people can’t steal them from you. We’ve all heard the horror stories bout people robbing others on the train by opening their backpack while they were unaware. Another trick was cutting into the bag and stealing the contents.
Commuter smart bags feature intelligent design with slash-resistant materials and hard shells. The zippers also come with covers or locks to prevent people from opening the bag without catching your attention.
What are the Features of a Smart Backpack for Travelers?
Travelers will be passing through airports and security checkpoints with their smart backpacks. Therefore, you need to ensure that your bag is TSA compliant. You’ll have to have a back with stow-away straps to prevent them from catching on escalator belts and luggage ramps.
Travelers are also at risk of identity fraud while walking around the airport and hanging out in lounges for hours. Hackers might use devices to steal your data from your credit cards. Smart packs come with RFID protection, ensuring thieves can’t take your information.
Smart backpackers for travelers also feature secure, easy-access compartments for documents you’re your passport, ID cards, and your wallet. Everything has a place, and zip will get it to you in no time. Zippers featuring anti-theft locks and collars prevent anyone from opening your bag.
Smart Backpacks FAQs
Are smart backpacks waterproof?
Most smart backpacks come with some level of water-resistance. Check with the manufacturer specifications to see if the material used in your pack is waterproof.
Can I fit a laptop in my smart backpack?
Most smart backpacks are only suitable for 15-inch laptops. Some can carry a 17-inch, but it’s not often the case. If you have a 15-inch MacBook, you shouldn’t have any trouble with fitting it to your smart backpack.
How many devices can I charge with a smart backpack?
Some smart backpacks come with an external USB attachment for your devices. You can connect this to your powerbank inside your pack. Other smart backpacks come with solar charging capability and onboard battery’s that can charge your smartphone up to 6-times.
Why do I need an anti-theft backpack?
Anti-theft backpacks prevent someone from opening your pack while you’re wearing it an unaware of what they’re doing. Look for locking systems, slash-proof materials, and RFID pouches for electronic protection from hackers trying to steal your cred card information.
All the smart backpacks in this review are a good buy. If you’re struggling with your decision on the best one to suit your needs and lifestyle – why not rely on our top choices?
The Nomatic 30L travel bag is our choice for the top smart backpack in this review. There’s plenty of space for all your devices and essentials, as well as anti-theft protection, waterproofing, and breathable materials in the back pad and shoulder straps.
For stylish and secure travel, we recommend the Nomatic 20L Backpack. This smart backpack comes with an elegant and stylish design. You get security features like locking zippers and an RFID scan-proof pouch for your wallet and other valuables.
If you’re working on a budget for your traveling or commuting needs, the Yorepek Extra Large Travel Backpack is a great choice. This model comes with an external USB connection to charge your devices on the move and an affordable price tag.
All the smart backpacks in this review are excellent choices. However, you need to choose one that suits your lifestyle and your luggage requirements.