High powered binoculars can be used for multiple purposes. Whether watching birds off in the distance, or viewing game when hunting, watching whales from a large ship, or even gazing up at the night sky.
There are many factors to consider when looking into long distance binoculars such as lens quality, field of view, magnification, weight, and much more. You first want to decide how you will use your binoculars and the purpose they will serve for you.
- Will you be needing heavy duty binoculars for hunting that can see long distances with a great field of view?
- Will you need a casual pair of bird watching binoculars?
- Do you expect to be in extreme weather conditions and need waterproof binoculars?
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Vortex Optics Diamondback
- 3 Nikon PROSTAFF 5
- 4 Celestron Skymaster
- 5 Bushnell Powerview 2
- 6 Bushnell H2O
- 7 Other Best Selling Options
- 8 Choosing Your Long Distance Binoculars
- 9 Our Final Thoughts
- The Best Pick: Vortex Optics Diamondback
- The Runner-Up Pick: Nikon PROSTAFF 5
- The Budget Pick: Celestron Skymaster
Vortex Optics Diamondback
The Vortex Diamondback has a magnification of 10X, a field of view of 345 feet, a 42mm objective diameter, and 16mm eye-relief. It is best used for hunting and birdwatching.
These binoculars also feature a durable rubber coating that adds to the overall durability and lengthevity of the optics.
The lenses are multi-coated and allow for very bright and clear images. It has the ability to resist glare and fog, due to the nitrogen filled o-ring that keeps the view clear.
- 8x magnification & 32mm objective lenses, these Diamondback HD binos are optimized with select glass elements to deliver exceptional resolution, cut chromatic aberration and provide outstanding color fidelity, sharpness and light transmission.
- Fully multi-coated lenses increase light transmission with anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces. Dielectric coating provides bright, clear, color-accurate images. Armortek coating protects exterior lenses from scratches, oil and dirt.
- Adjustable eyecups twist up and down for comfortable viewing with or without eyeglasses. Center focus wheel adjusts the focus of both binocular barrels at the same time. Diopter (located on right eyepiece) adjusts for differences in a user's eyes.
- Rubber armor provides a secure, non-slip grip, and durable external protection. Binoculars are tripod adaptable allowing use on a tripod or car window mount.
- Argon purging and O-ring seals provide water and fog proof performance in all environments. Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact. Does not include harness.
The field of view is one of the largest on the market today at 345-feet. This makes tracking game a lot easier and aids in following fast targets. The 16-mm eye-relief makes them perfect for users wearing glasses and they are quite functional in all environments as well.
The Diamondback comes with a lifetime warranty, which makes them well worth the price. They are ideal for long distance viewing and they enable the user to keep track of animals and even birds in flight. These are highly recommended for birdwatchers as well as advanced hunters.
Nikon PROSTAFF 5
The Nikon Prostaff 5 is an arsenic-free, eco-glass binocular set with 10X magnification, a field of view of 293 feet, an objective diameter of 50mm, 19.6 mm eye-relief, and anti-reflection, multi-coated optics.
- See the outdoors up close in bright, lifelike color thanks to fully multicoated lens and prism system.
- Large 50mm objective lenses enhance viewing capability in lower light, lower contrast situations accompanying dawn and dusk.
- PROSTAFF 5's turn-and-slide eyecups and long eye relief provide a comfortable view for everyone, even when wearing eyeglasses,
The large 50mm objectives offset the dimming that can occur with high magnification and draws in plenty of light to boost its light-gathering ability in challenging conditions such as at dawn and dusk, or in dense fog.
The Nikon ProStaff 5 Binoculars produce bright and clear high-contrast images, with true color rendition across the entire field of view in all lighting conditions, due to anti-reflection, multi-coated optics.
The optical tubes are nitrogen-filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof and submersible, as well as resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme temperature variations and environmental conditions.
Further Reviewing the Nikon PROSTAFF 5 Binoculars
It is equipped with a tethered, one-piece ocular rain guard that covers the eyecups as they hang around the neck and prevents rain and spraying water from filling them. There is precise focus control due to a large slip center focus wheel. It is easy to use even with gloves on. The rubber eyecups can be used with or without eyewear and are very comfortable.
The Nikon Prostaff 5 is relatively lightweight and durable due to fiberglass-reinforced polycarbonate chassis. The chassis material is temperature resistant, preventing the expansion and contraction that is common with metal, which can cause the optical components to move out of alignment over time and prevent sharp focus.
The grip is slip-resistant due to textured, protective rubber armoring. Indents on the sides of the optical tubes are ergonomically placed where the hands naturally fall for a more comfortable feel in the hand and a more secure grip. The Nikon Prostaff 5 is a great set of heavy duty binoculars for the serious outdoorsman.
The large-aperture Celestron Skymaster series is the binocular designed especially for use in low-light, terrestrial conditions or for astronomy purposes. It has a 20X magnification, a field of view of 157 feet, a 70mm objective diameter, and eye-relief of 19.5mm.
The Skymasters have BaK-4 prisms for contrast and sharpness and have the same proprietary XLT lens coating that is used on their observatory-grade spotting scopes for increased contrast and resolution.
- SUPERIOR OPTICS, COATINGS, MATERIALS, AND CRAFTSMANSHIP: With large objective lenses, BaK-4 prisms, and fully multi-coated optics utilizing Celestron’s proprietary XLT coatings, the view through SkyMaster Pro is second to none at its price point.
- RSR "REFLEX SIGHT READY" RAIL: SkyMaster Pro's unique detachable RSR rail allows you to mount an optional red dot finderscope or other reflex sight. Pointing at astronomical or land-based targets with a binocular has never been easier.
- FULLY MULTI-COATED OPTICS: Every lens surface is coated multiple times with Celestron's unique XLT coatings to improve color and contrast and maximize brightness. You'll enjoy brighter and sharper images, even when lighting conditions are dim.
- DURABLE, WATERPROOF BODY: A rubber-armored, polycarbonate housing protects your binoculars from damage and stands up to the toughest weather conditions. They're also fully waterproof and nitrogen purged to prevent internal fogging of the lenses.
- UNBEATABLE WARRANTY & CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Buy with confidence from Celestron, a leading optics brand in California since 1960. Your purchase includes a Celestron Limited Lifetime US Warranty & US-based expert tech support.
It is housed in aluminum alloy with rubber armor coating. While this material may not be as cheap or as lightweight as the polycarbonate ones, it is definitely stronger and certainly contributes to the quality of the instrument.
The Echelon is fully sealed and nitrogen-purged, which allows it to be fully waterproof. It also includes a waterproof case. Each eyepiece can be focused for your right and left eye so it’s great if you have different vision in both eye.
More on the Celestron Skymasters Binoculars
The Skymaster has an extended eye-relief of 19.5 mm, which is very long and great for people with glasses. If you wear glasses, you can just roll down the cup and keep your glasses on, while you position your eyes to the correct distance behind the ocular lens.
It is equipped with extra-low dispersion glass lenses that provide brighter images and compensate for color fringing. Dielectric, high-reflective multilayer prism coating allows for sharper, brighter, and clearer whites across the entire field of view.
These special coatings are added to the glass surfaces to increase transmittance levels for a brighter image, but also improve the view by eliminating unwanted reflections that can cause undesired results.
With a large binocular like this with a powerful magnification, balance becomes a very important feature when using them without the aid of a tripod. The Celestron is equipped with a couple of smooth depressions on the underside of the body that are positioned so that it can aid in finding a good balance.
Additional Features on the Celestron Binoculars
This model uses an individual focus system, which means that you need to focus each eyepiece individually by simply turning the eyepiece. It does take a little longer to focus on closer objects than most binoculars that only require you to turn a single, often centrally located, focus wheel that adjusts the focus on both eyepieces simultaneously.
At 59oz, they are a little more than double the weight of most standard sized binoculars. However, they compare well to other giant binoculars and, remember, that these have higher spec features like a full aluminum body, rather than a polycarbonate one that many cheaper options use.
The obvious advantage of a high magnification is that you get a more detailed view. On the flip side, you usually also get a far narrower width or field of view, which is why the Echelons only have a field of view of 157 feet. Overall, these are a great pair of long distance and astronomy binoculars.
Bushnell Powerview 2
The Bushnell Powerview offers 16X magnification, a field of view of 182 feet, and an objective diameter of 50mm.
It has a non-slip, rubber armored body that absorbs shock and is tripod adaptable.
The Powerview is a bit difficult to hold steady with a magnification of 16X, so the use of a tripod or some sort of stabalization system is recommended for optimal viewing.
The Powerview has fully coated optics for superior light transmission and brightness, even in low light. The air-to-glass magnesium fluoride coating reduces light loss and glare due to reflection.
- Bushnell Poweview 2 is a trusted line of Binoculars from a USA company that has been serving the outdoor and wildlife enthusiast for more than 70 years.
- LONG LASTING DURABLILITY: Aluminum alloy chassis provides durability without adding unnecessary weight and bulk.
- MODERN EXTERIOR DESIGN: High quality, soft touch rubber and brushed metal texture finishes provide classic performance in a great looking, modern design.
- EASY TO USE AND CONFIDENT GRIP: Updated ergonomics with soft touch rubber and easy grip texture along the sides of the binocular, and on the bridge, reduce the chance of dropping and give a confident hand feel….even with one hand.
- GREAT IMAGE QUALITY WITH SHARP FOCUS: Multi-coated optics draw an incredible amount of light for clear vibrant images, even in low-light. Ultra-smooth focus wheel allows you to focus in on your subject quickly for perfect definition when you need it.
Additional Reviewing the Bushnell Powerview Binoculars
It is equipped with a 1-touch InstaFocus system that allows you to focus quickly and holds your subject in sharp focus. The right ocular can be further focused by rotating it. This is a great accommodation if the user’s two eyes require different focus.
The eye-cups are soft and flexible for comfortable viewing. The eye-cups also roll down easily for people with eyeglasses. It includes a soft carrying case, neck strap, and lens cloth.
These are the ideal binoculars for hunters, hikers, anglers, naturalists, and outdoor professionals. They are a great, affordable set of entry-level binoculars.
The Bushnell H2O offers a magnification of 10X, a field of view of 305 feet, an objective diameter of 42mm, and an eye-relief of 17mm.
The Bushnell H2O is rubber coated for extra durability and comfort. Additional grip on the sides makes these binoculars easy to handle in all weather conditions and they will not slip out of your hands in wet weather.
The BAK-4 prisms have been multi-coated for greater light transmission, they also have the ability to resist glare, and the nitrogen purged o-ring will ensure no fog buildup is present.
- Quality optics with stunning HD clarity; Exit Pupil: 4.2 millimeter / 0.165 inch
- 100 percentage quality materials used and tested extensively; Field of view 305/102 feet at 1000 yards/meter at 1000 meter
- Beautiful design and durability built to last
- 100 percent waterproof, O ring sealed and nitrogen purged for reliable, fog free performance
- BaK 4 prisms and multi coated optics offer crisp clear images with improved light transmission
Unfortunately, since the binoculars are just multi-coated instead of fully multi-coated, the image isn’t as pristine as it could be. These binoculars are best used in bright light conditions. This is not an ideal low light viewing optic.
Further Reviewing for the Bushnell H2O Binoculars
The H2O is equipped with a nitrogen-purged body, which makes it completely waterproof and fog proof, perfect for wet or constantly changing weather conditions. With a 17mm eye-relief, the H2O is a great option for those with glasses.
They have a very high field of view, which is great for tracking your targets such as birds or game animals. This allows you to see moving objects extremely well, especially in the brush.
The focus knob is central, and easy to adjust. The neck strap is a little flimsy and could use an improvement in durability. However, it can be replaced with a more comfortable and reliable option. It also includes a lifetime warranty.
Other Best Selling Options
- POWERFUL 25X MAGNIFICATION: Giant astronomy binoculars feature massive 70mm objective lenses and powerful 25x magnification. These powerful binoculars are ideal for long-distance viewing of land-based subjects or astronomical observing at night.
- INCLUDES TRIPOD ADAPTER: Stabilize your binocular for added comfort and shake-free views. Mount your 70mm SkyMaster binoculars on any traditional photographic tripod with the built-in tripod adapter.
- BRIGHT, SHARP VIEWS WITH BaK-4 PRISMS: The SkyMaster is a favorite among those who view in dim conditions near dawn and dusk or at night for astronomy. BaK-4 prisms maximize light throughput to your eye so you see brighter, more detailed images.
- DURABLE AND WATER-RESISTANT: A rubber-armored housing protects your binoculars from damage and provides a secure gripping surface. The water-resistant exterior stands up to tough conditions and unexpected rainy weather.
- UNBEATABLE WARRANTY & CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Buy with confidence from Celestron, a leading optics brand in California since 1960. Your purchase includes a Celestron Limited Lifetime US Warranty & US-based expert tech support.
- Aculon A211 10 22x50 zoom binoculars are designed to be as light as possible along with excellent ergonomics
- Easy to reach fingertip zoom control knob allows for quick and easy adjustment of the binoculars magnification from 10 up to 22 power. Interpapillary distance adjustment (millimeter) - 56-72
- Turn and slide rubber eyecups allow for comfortable viewing during extended periods of use; Minimum focus distance 49.2 feet / 15 meter
- Multicoated eco glass lenses deliver a bright and clear image in most lighting conditions; Field of view 1000 meter (meter/feet) 66/199; Apparent field of view (°) 36.7; Real field of view (°) 3.8
- A durable rubber armored coating ensures a non slip grip, even in wet conditions; Exit pupil is 2.3 - 5 millimeter
- 【 HIGH DEFINITION BINOCULARS 】-- The new version of the 30-260X optical long range binoculars. Magnification: 30-260x; Visibility: 126m / 1000m; Exit pupil diameter: 80mm; Exit pupil distance: 18mm. Enjoy longer distances, clearer, greatly magnified And clear optical performance at an incredible level
- 【 ANTI-SLIP AND ANTI-WOBBLE 】Anti-Slip and Anti-Wobble --- Natural rubber material prevents slipping or wobbling. Fully coated lenses for enhanced brightness, very small binoculars, light transmission telescopes, waterproof design, fits any weather, day and night vision (not in complete darkness)
- 【 ADJUSTABLE EASILY 】 Easy adjustment and fast focusing with the sharpening wheel, fast setting of the focal length. Adjustable eye distance makes the compact binoculars suitable for adults
- 【 ADEQUATE ACCESSORY 】Adequate accessory for outdoor activities --- A lens cleaning cloth, 2-foot long collar and a nylon carrying case are supplied with the children's binoculars. This Foldable Waterproof is convenient for bird watching, hunting, hiking, traveling or sightseeing . WARM TIP: Tripod is not included, if you need to buy a tripod, you can consult customer service
- 【 TECHNICAL GUARANTEE 】-- Because our binoculars are high power binoculars, certain professional skills are required when using them. If you feel that the image is unstable and unclear during use, please contact us and we will provide you with professional technical guidance
Choosing Your Long Distance Binoculars
When choosing high power binoculars for a concert, watching birds or for hunting, there are some things to look for so that you are not disappointed with the higher magnification for long distance viewing.
Binoculars’ viewing power refers to three main values: the number of magnifications, the aperture diameter and the field of view.
The first value represents the number of magnifications of the binoculars or degree of magnification, while the second value refers to the aperture, the diameter (in millimeters) of the outer lens or the lens farthest from our eyes.
The larger the magnification, the bigger you will see the object, but also less clear. The aperture diameter indicates the amount of light that will penetrate the device.
Since binoculars are for viewing distant images, one of the fundamental aspects of your choice is the magnification. The more increase magnification binoculars have, the more you will be able to see things clearly. Normal use usually requires binoculars from 6 to 10 times.
If you want to spot wildlife, birds, hunting or other targets at long distances, you should look for high magnification. This can range as low as 10x but reach up to as high as 30x. Once you hit 16x, you usually have to use in combination with a tripod, bipod, monopod, or some other support.
Keep in mind, the higher the magnification, the more difficult it is to hold the binoculars steady and it reduces the brightness of your sights through the binoculars. You can balance the brightness reduction by choosing binoculars with strong low light performance capabilities.
Field of View
The field of view is the area that you see when looking through the lens. For long distance use, such as hunting, a larger field of view is very important and helps you keep track of your target. The larger the magnification is, the smaller the field of view will be.The optimal field of view for long distance trekking and bird watching is around 300-feet or more.
Lens type is an extremely important element to consider when buying the best binoculars for long distance. Glass lenses have a high resolution and do not distort the image.
Extra-Low Dispersion lenses enhance low light performance and are well worth the investment. This lens is made of specially formulated glass that corrects for chromatic aberration and delivers stunning, life-like views in the field. The enhanced contrast will allow you to pick out subtle movement in the brush so you can spot more targets.
Lens coating is really important, especially out in the elements. It aids in keeping glare out from the reflection of the sun which could have an effect on the image that you see.
The material that your binoculars are made out of will not only have a different weight but also present a greater or lesser durability. There are several options on the market created with plastic, fiberglass, polycarbonates, alloys of aluminum or pure aluminum.
The lower quality binoculars are made of plastics and usually do not have any additional coating to ensure durability. Metal alloys or aluminum binoculars offer the most long-lasting qualities.
Look for a robust construction with rubber armoring that will protect from drops and bumps. Water resistance, waterproofing, and fog proofing are other features to consider, especially if you’ll be carrying your optic into uncertain weather conditions.
Color and Brightness
Not all binoculars display images with their natural colors. Look for binoculars that show natural and vivid colors, without adding any dye or artificial effects to the image.
The lighting conditions of the environment are fundamental to ensure adequate vision in your binoculars. Luminosity is an important factor, depending on the use and conditions. Less luminosity doesn’t allow us to see in low light, while higher luminosity provides extreme clarity in the sun.
Weight and Size
One of the main things you should keep in mind when buying binoculars is the amount of time you will spend using them. If they are too heavy, you might become tired and also your hands might start to shake. If you will be hunting, you will want something lightweight and small that can easily be carried around. The material of composition will play a huge factor in weight.
If you are someone with glasses, you will need to look for optimal eye-relief. If there is little eye-relief, you might feel your eyes burning or becoming painful. The high-end brands do have better eye-relief and won’t cause any real eye strain. Most smaller binoculars have an eye-relief under 16mm and while this might be fine for those without glasses, someone with glasses should look for something over 16mm.
Our Final Thoughts
Decide what you will be viewing and what conditions you will frequently be in before choosing a set of binoculars. Keep in mind that quality is more important than price if you expect longevity out of your optics.
The main factor to choose between is having a large field of view or high magnification capabilities. They cancel each other out, so be sure you really know what you want to use your binoculars for.
Lens coating and clarity is also another main factor. You want to be sure that you aren’t distorting your image with a cheap lens that isn’t properly coated.
Binoculars should be waterproof and allow you to continue using them in tough conditions. Should they fall, you do not want any of the lenses to be damaged so look for shockproof binoculars. If the binoculars are fogging up, they become hard to use. Almost all high-end brands are fog proof.
The top binoculars are generally made from metal alloys or aluminum for greater durability. If you are looking for something more affordable, plastic will be an option, but they are not as reliable.
Here’s our top picks again …